Getting wedding ready

Hey, I'm getting married June of 2016 and would love to lose about 20lbs. Would like some motivation and some tips on what works with losing weight and exercise. I've tried to lose weight before but I have failed but I am more motivated this time :)

Replies

• le_burd
    le_burd Posts: 4 Member
    Just went through this myself! I worked with a personal trainer to become wedding ready. The first thing she did was tell me to "cut out almost everything white". White foods typically convert to sugars in your body and can cause your blood sugar to peak and then drop. This will cause you to eat more and crave bad foods and more sugar. So I cut out almost everything white - white bread, white potatoes, white pasta, sugar, anything that contained "enriched" flour. I immediately started dropping pounds. I worked out 3 days a week for about an hour for a few months. Closer to wedding time, I started working out 5 days a week and upped the cardio. I continued to eat only whole grains. She also told me to not eat anything with more than 6 g of sugar. This was a challenge for things like yogurt and breakfast bars that I thought were healthy.

Another thing that motivated me and held me accountable was keeping a food journal. Not just in MyFitnessPal (I did that too for calorie tracking) but I actually kept a notepad and wrote down every single thing that went in my body. If I cheated and had anything bad that wasn't approved, like snagging a French fry off my fiancé's plate, I highlighted it in bright yellow. That way when I got on the scale and didn't see the results that I wanted, I could look back at my journal and see exactly which little cheats added up to those pounds. When I first started I would have 2 or 3 things highlighted a day. It drove me crazy to see those yellow marks. By the end of it, I was counting the days in a row with zero highlighter marks. It was such a feeling of accomplishment.
  • mel8480
    mel8480 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you! I will try cutting out the white foods going to be hard but I'll get there :)
  • le_burd
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but she also told me that basically white foods turn to sugar in your body which turns into flab/cellulite. So every time I started to pick up a piece of bread at dinner or eat a potato instead of a sweet potato, I just looked down at my flabby arms and decided I didn't want my arms to look like that on wedding day.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    le_burd wrote: »
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but she also told me that basically white foods turn to sugar in your body which turns into flab/cellulite. So every time I started to pick up a piece of bread at dinner or eat a potato instead of a sweet potato, I just looked down at my flabby arms and decided I didn't want my arms to look like that on wedding day.

It's not accurate. Sugar does not turn into cellulite/flab.
  • le_burd
    I figured it wasn't. But it definitely helped the thought process when I started to pick up that food!