Knee surgery recovery

Options
Fit4LifeAR
Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I had surgery on my knee just over two weeks ago. The MRI showed an area of cartilage that was worn to the bone, so the plan was to do a bio cartilage repair. When they got in to the knee, the damage was much worse than the MRI showed, and they found three places that were worn to the bone and an issue with a meniscus. Basically, when I woke up the doc told me that they couldn't do the bio cartilage repair because it was too damaged, and I need a knee replacement. At 35, I'm too young, so he cleaned up what we could and the plan now is to treat what we can until I am older, and better suited for a knee replacement.

So, my question is about the recovery. I'm two weeks out and still can't straighten my knee completely out. It is still stiff and a little sore, but nothing extreme. The stiffness is bothersome though, I really want to be able to walk normal. I've been doing physical therapy and on the bike, but when should I expect to be able to walk normally (without a slight limp and a straight leg)? What are your experiences?

Just a note, the doc said I had a lot of repairs done for a "scope". I had three areas of cartilage shaved, floating cartilage removed, under my knee cap shaved, a meniscus shaved (I'm not sure what he meant by that) and my tibia shaved.

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    didn't the doctor and PT tell you what to expect after your surgery? I had my major knee surgery in november and it took about 6 months before i had full range without much pain and could walk fairly normal. Every time i saw the PT he measured my progress and i was on a strict PT program to regain full range.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    Yeah, well they said not to compare it to what I read online. People online said they were back to normal within a few weeks. Currently, my knee range is just at about 100. I think my good knee was 135, so I have a ways to go. Unfortunately I'm leaving for a work trip so can't go back to PT until next Thursday.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you have to do the PT exercises on your own, at home. I was doing PT mobility work 6 or more times a day, plus 30 minutes on a bike every single day. If you don't do the pt exercises and the bike,you'll build up scar tissue and be screwed.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you have to do the PT exercises on your own, at home. I was doing PT mobility work 6 or more times a day, plus 30 minutes on a bike every single day. If you don't do the pt exercises and the bike,you'll build up scar tissue and be screwed.

Absolutely this!!! ^

PT just keep doing it, that's what's going to get you back to the best shape you can be. You may never get to what you used to be but then again you had surgery for a reason so you were having some issues before hand.

Working out in the pool is pain free and is an awesome way to work the knee.... whether you swim or run in the pool or do the PT exercises they give you, you find on you-tube in addition. Never compare what anyone else's surgery results are compared to yours. It's all about YOUR body and how it heals, your age, physical health before hand and as you continue forward. It's about how you eat, you attitude etc.

Surgery's can take up to a year to heal fully it just really all depends, that's why doctors are so cautious on what they say the end result will be. It's up to you.

Good Luck :)
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    Oh yeah, I do PT everyday at home, and twice a week at the clinic.