What's more important - calories or macros?

Options
I'm logging my food and went off plan a bit. At this point I'm 150 calories from my target, but 67g from my Protein target for the day.

Thoughts on what's more important for a weight loss goal... staying under my calorie count or getting close to hitting my macros?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories.

Macros are for overall nutrition. They are a guideline to a balanced diet.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You can hit your macros all you want but you won't lose weight unless you hit your calories. If I eat a half-way smart diet then the macros fall into place.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories=weight loss, macros=nutrition
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Well, one day won't make or break you. But 67g of protein is kind of a lot, so i'd close the gap on that.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The US Recommended Daily Intake for protein for adult women is 46 grams, 71 grams if pregnant or breastfeeding. The Institute of Medicine recommends between 10% and 35% of calories from protein per day.

I don't know what you have your protein macro set for but, if you are having trouble hitting it every day, you may want to adjust it down a bit to something that works for you but still at least meets the US RDI.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The US Recommended Daily Intake for protein for adult women is 46 grams, 71 grams if pregnant or breastfeeding. The Institute of Medicine recommends between 10% and 35% of calories from protein per day.

I don't know what you have your protein macro set for but, if you are having trouble hitting it every day, you may want to adjust it down a bit to something that works for you but still at least meets the US RDI.

That has to be a minimum because that is a really sad amount of protein.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fore weight loss, calories. I would work on getting that protein up though.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options

It is. The US RDI requirement is the bare minimum a completely sedentary person should eat to avoid problems due to deficiency.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Yes, very sad amount. Too little if you want to maintain muscle while losing weight.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Macro? The only Macro I try to hit is the Alcohol Macro, right? I hit it consistently.
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Was thinking that calories were prob what I need to focus on more. My protein target is high, so even being 60-some grams away, I'm WAY over the minimum rda.

Thanks! Appreciate the confirmation!
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    Macro? The only Macro I try to hit is the Alcohol Macro, right? I hit it consistently.

@SergeantSausage - If you look like your profile pic hitting your Alcohol Macro every day, I need to get on your plan! :p
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Jessyd76 wrote: »

@SergeantSausage - If you look like your profile pic hitting your Alcohol Macro every day, I need to get on your plan! :p

Apple Cider, my friend - its my magic elixer - made in (multiple)20 gallon batches from my own orchard every fall/autumn. Logged as some commercial cider 'cause I have no accurate way to measure the actual sugar content of my apples. It's almost cider time. 2 o 3 more weeks and the trees are ready.

Yes, that's me in the profile. I don't currently look like the profile pic (that's from Feb) because food is good, right? That look is too demanding to keep up year round 365 for someone pushing 50 ... but I'll try to get it at least once a year or so. There's 11 or 12 pounds between me and those abs at the moment.

• timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In the worst case you get really malnourished, than you have to stop your diet, you shouldn't risk it.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Calories, protein, macros for me!!
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    Apple Cider, my friend - its my magic elixer - made in (multiple)20 gallon batches from my own orchard every fall/autumn. Logged as some commercial cider 'cause I have no accurate way to measure the actual sugar content of my apples. It's almost cider time. 2 o 3 more weeks and the trees are ready.

Yes, that's me in the profile. I don't currently look like the profile pic (that's from Feb) because food is good, right? That look is too demanding to keep up year round 365 for someone pushing 50 ... but I'll try to get it at least once a year or so. There's 11 or 12 pounds between me and those abs at the moment.

@SergeantSausage - I'll be your best friend if you send me some - even though I have to hate you on principle. :p I thought you were a 20-something from how cut you are in your picture. If you are pushing 50 and have that definition, you totally killed my "I'm about to turn 40" excuse! Ridiculously inspiring that you stay within 11/12 lbs of that!! :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Calories. One day over or under on protein is no big thing. If weight loss is the goal, stick with the calories. :)
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    I'm FINALLY going to finish a day under my target! Woo hoo!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Jessyd76 wrote: »
    I'm FINALLY going to finish a day under my target! Woo hoo!
    Good work!