Ladies! (questions about pelvic exams)

Options
I'm about 275 - 280 lbs and 5"3, and I'm pretty apple shaped. I recently decided to go to the doctor about something that's been bothering me for a while, and she referred me to a gynocologist for a pelvic exam and an ultrasound. This'll be my first pelvic exam ever, and I'm extremely worried about what it'll be like, because I'm so obese. I'm led to believe that the doctor will need to feel my belly as part of the exam, and I'm worried that it'll be in the way during the exam and ultrasound. I'm also worried about thighs being in the way =/ Can anyone who's had a pelvic exam while they were pretty heavy please tell me what it was like? I know I have to get it done either way, but it'd be nice to at least know what I'm walking in to.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've had regular pelvic exams for over 40 years and much of that time I've been obese -- for the last several years in the 280s to 290s at 5'3". Thunder thighs run in my family. No doctor has ever complained that my fat got in the way of the pap smear. Don't worry about that.

A pelvic exam is not very pleasant but it's quick. The doctor will put you on your back and have you put your feet in stirrups up in the air. Then he or she will insert a speculum, a piece of equipment that will open your vagina enough that he can take a small sample or scraping. Does this hurt? Sometimes for just a second. But at its worst, it not very bad. Most times it doesn't hurt at all through it may cause a little brief cramp.

If you relax, you will probably find it easier. Tensing up doesn't help.

For more information for first timers, look at this page Florida Atlantic University created for its students. It will answer a lot of questions.

http://www.fau.edu/shs/clinic/boca/boca-womens_pelvic_exam_faq.php

Finally, I always remember something an older friend told me years ago. "A doctor is just a highly trained technician you are paying for a service." She said to treat it as I would anything else where I wanted to ask questions. Bring a clip board with your questions on it so you remember them. Otherwise you may get flustered and forget to ask them while you are naked in a paper dress while everyone else in the room is fully dressed. I still use her suggestion, especially when I see a new doctor.

Another thing that helps is to think about the job the doctor has. Would you like to poke your fingers up strangers' nether regions all day with little say in the matter about who you poke and them not really wanting to be poked? Sounds like an awful job to me. Glad I don't have it. I just relax and let him/her get on with it.