Advice for a picky eater

Options
I'm trying to lose 10-15 more pounds. Work out regularly but I'm an extremely picky eater. I like some fruit but I don't really like any vegetables. I don't really like too much besides pasta, pizza, and snack food (Cookies, icecream, fast food, etc.) I need new ideas for healthy foods that I might actually like.

Replies

• jamieeliz33
    jamieeliz33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quakers rive poppers are a good snack... cheddar is really good.

String cheese or other stick cheeses are good...

As far as veggies go, grill or roast them in the oven with plenty of seasoning. I like to do olive oil, salt & pepper, and some red pepper flakes on either carrots or green beans. You get more of the spicy taste and less veggie taste :) You can also add some parmesan cheese to any of your grilled or baked veggies.

Also, make your own pizzas using whole grain flat bread. I also saw a recipe where you cut of zucchini into slices and then top them with marinara and cheese and bake it until cheese melts and is a little tender... supposed to be like pizza bites.

A good ice cream recipe is frozen bananas with a small amount of chocolate chips and little vanilla extract... add a little almond milk and blend until creamy like ice cream!

Just try some stuff out of your comfort zone and go crazy with seasoning and spices! My husband is so picky and I get him to eat tons of veggies just by seasoning them right :)

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Force your self to try something new.

In my experience picky eaters aren't picky because they don't like foods, it's because they have never tried them. Or if they did try the food it was under duress of a parent and resulted in crying and name calling from both sides, and as an adult your not tasting the veggie, your tasting the bitter memories of childhood.

Veggies come in many many many flavours and textures.

You got your boring veggies like sweet potato, pumpkin, green beans etc that shouldn't cause any issues flavour wise.

Then you've got the super tasty mana from heaven that is FROZEN MINT PEAS. These are some advanced veggies here, work your way up before tackling frozen mint peas.

Anyway, force your self to try new things. I tried teriyaki eel sushi the other day, was good.
  • richardbaechle
    richardbaechle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your into buffalo chicken at all but I like to take boneless skinless chicken breast and slow cook it, then cut them into small pieces and put 2 tablespoons of Sweet Baby Rays buffalo sauce on he chicken. Take that some cheese and lettuce and make it into a wrap. I too am a picky eater and know the struggle, but after seeing supersize me and food inc. I will NEVER eat at a fast food joint again.....but that's just me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    From a reformed picky eater:

1) sometimes you eat things because you know you should - doing that helps you to get over texture issues, and sometimes you'll like something now that you didn't previously

2) if you still 'don't like' something try to identify if its taste, texture, or something else

3) try things in different ways. Veggies can be eaten raw, baked, grilled, sauteed, etc.

4) go small. Have a little peppers & onions on your pizza for example - and then when you get used to that, try a little more at a time.

5) blend veggies into a sauce.
    I'm trying to lose 10-15 more pounds. Work out regularly but I'm an extremely picky eater. I like some fruit but I don't really like any vegetables. I don't really like too much besides pasta, pizza, and snack food (Cookies, icecream, fast food, etc.) I need new ideas for healthy foods that I might actually like.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Subscribe to some sites that will email you recipes and try one new one per week. If you use the ones from https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/ there is a button to Log It into MFP.

I found these there:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/chocolate-peanut-butter-bites/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/jalapeno-cheddar-sweet-potato-puffs/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/no-bake-peanut-butter-granola-bars/

Those won't help you get more veggies into your diet, but they may help you try new foods :)

I've been using the Joy of Cooking since the 80s and don't think I've ever found anything inedible.

One of the greatest cooks I know said not being afraid to experiment is key.