How often do you weight yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,734 Member
    Options
    Daily, and have done for several years, even when not losing weight or trying. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has an anxious temperament! I've increased weight by as much as 5 pounds in one day (water, salt, physical weight of food still in the system, etc. - I didn't eat 17,500 calories, for heaven's sake!), and it's not at all unusual to go up or down by 1-2 pounds in a day.

I'm kind of a data geek (long career in systems design/development, and several years literally as a data geek (data designer/analyst)). It's interesting to see and begin to understand the daily fluctuations and their causes.

I log my daily weigh-in on a sheet of graph paper taped to the inside of the bathroom closet door: Date on X-axis, weight on Y axis, dot at today's weight. When losing (or simply trying not to gain), I don't fuss about daily fluctuation, but look at the overall trend. When actively trying to lose, I sometimes plot a weekly goal (e.g., plus sign on a point a week out). I have several years of these sheets in a folder. Weird, huh?
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    every Tuesday :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    every day.
    keeping an eye on things
    knowing there are natural fluctuations
  • sam633
    sam633 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2-3 times a day. Once when I wake up in the morning, once middle of the day, once before I hit the bed. It helps me keep track of my weight and I can act immediately to keep the weight off! This works for me best.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, because I like to log progress for every single pound I lose. I'm fully aware that it will go up and down every day depending on what I'm doing, and that the lack of progress can be frustrating from day to day, but then it starts coming off again. I just like to make sure I keep track of where I am every day. If you can handle weighing daily, do it. If not, do what you're comfortable with.
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every morning before eating or drinking anything.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    slowrollem wrote: »
    I weigh every morning after using the bathroom and before I eat or drink anything, no clothes. I just try to mimic the same scenario and time of day that I weigh.

It helps me gauge how much sodium I've had, whether my muscles are holding more water after a work out or perhaps it's that lovely time of the month when I hold more water.

However, it's not unusual for people to fluctuate a couple of pounds each day due to these factors.

I just use this as more information to better gauge what's going on in my routine or diet. Not trying to achieve some specific number.

Don't be discouraged, you've made great progress and more importantly, you have started living a healthier lifestyle! :smile:

This is me too. And I log in happy scale to watch for trends. As there are lots of daily fluctuations I would be sad if my once a week weigh in day was the day I was up! I almost always have a day where I am up 2lbs but I have a clearer picture of where I'm headed with the daily weigh in
  • Shaz3k
    Shaz3k Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    momar23 wrote: »

This is me too. And I log in happy scale to watch for trends. As there are lots of daily fluctuations I would be sad if my once a week weigh in day was the day I was up! I almost always have a day where I am up 2lbs but I have a clearer picture of where I'm headed with the daily weigh in

This is exactly what I have found in the past. My weigh in day was not giving a true picture of my weight loss because it was a day in my week that I was nearly always up. I monitored for awhile and then changed my weigh in date and I was much happier. I've only started back in the last few weeks and have after 3 weeks switched from weekly to daily weigh ins again as I especially wanted to see what that time of the month did to my weight. I can see the downward projection of my weight loss so the odd up doesn't bother me and it's keeping me motivated. I'm also an ex bookkeeper so I think I secretly enjoy working with the figures.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Every two weeks. For over three years.
  • kitty1119
    kitty1119 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss so far that's great. I weigh myself every morning. this is a habit I really need to break though I think mentally it's not helping me