Why do I have soft jiggly fat?

Options
vhira1985
vhira1985 Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a 30 year old man with soft jiggly fat that women have around their bodies unlike the hard fat that that men typically have around their bodies. The fat is accumulated are around my back, chest, belly, arms and legs and I gain fat easily and I've also suffered from a weight problem since childhood and my visceral fat percentage is at 21%

Replies

• ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Men don't have hard fat. Fat is fat.

You might want to go and get your testosterone levels checked.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have soft jiggly pecs that bounce when I walk aha! Until I flex them - solid as rock.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    vhira1985 wrote: »
    I am a 30 year old man with soft jiggly fat that women have around their bodies unlike the hard fat that that men typically have around their bodies. The fat is accumulated are around my back, chest, belly, arms and legs and I gain fat easily and I've also suffered from a weight problem since childhood and my visceral fat percentage is at 21%

hard fat? :huh:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think you mean the difference between subcutaneous (under the skin and softer to the touch) fat rather than visceral fat (the more "dangerous" kind which collects around the organs.) It is not uncommon for men to have high amounts of subcutaneous fat.

A think a programme based on a calories deficit with a sensible diet which incorporates some resistance training and a small amount of high intensity training should do the trick.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're overweight :/

I sort of get what you mean though, I have always maintained quite a lot of muscle so, although I'm covered with fat, it's not really "jiggling" around whereas I've know people in the past who are probably 3 stone lighter than me but with very little muscle and they do appear "more jiggly" ;)

Definitely add some resistance training as msf74 says, you'll start to notice a difference as you change your body composition.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    blackcoffeeandcherrypie Posts: 486 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I know what he means - men's bodies are generally more firm to the touch than women's, even when fat. It's actually not the fat though, it's the skin holding the fat. It's the same reason that women get cellulite and men don't. It's partly estrogen, partly to do with collagen and partly to do with how the skin, fat and muscles are joined.

http://www.dermalinstitute.com/uk/library/17_article_Is_a_Man_s_Skin_Really_Different_.html

Ultimately, less fat means less jiggle, whether you're a man or a woman!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Men don't have hard fat. Fat is fat.

You might want to go and get your testosterone levels checked.
    YEP!
    After a head injury, I ballooned up 100 pounds and was told my hormone levels were mucked up.