Shirataki Noodles - zero calories!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I had tried them, just didn't float my boat, the mouth feel mostly. The "miracle rice" stuff isn't bad though. I found Kelp Noodles were more to my liking (Sea Tangle is the brand I've been using).
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Blackcoffee…I see these noodles the same way.

they are made from a type of yam and are not packed with carbs as rice and potatoes are and the reason to eat them is NOT the calories being low, or zero in COMPARISON it is the fact they don't spike insulin for those who are diabetic or have issues. ( tortillas, pasta, breads will spike blood sugars similar to candy/soda/pastry..so people on low carb for health will miss having breads and pasta as they make dietary choices

So for someone who can't eat pasta these noodles are taste and 'mouth feel' of a noodle without the carbs.

You rinse them off and any 'fishy' smell is gone ( I didnt notice any odor) ..but of course not everyone will like every product.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    We tried them, the funk smell and weird rubbery/slime texture was off putting for me. I rinsed them off, and put them in a stir fry, I was eating around them to avoid eating them.

I would rather have zucchini zoodles any day.

Same here. To finish them off I learned if you do not heat them and rinse only in cold water the smell is not too bad and the weird rubbery/slime texture was not as bad. I expect they may be best for those without a sensitive nose and taste buds. I do coconut flakes now for fiber.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Although I am getting to see this is a low carb thread, not a low cal one

It's not a low carb thread for me! It's a 'how to have your carbs and eat them' thread for me. People who don't like carbs are not really going to be interested in a low calorie 'carb', imo.

When the basic concept is "carbs are evil, non nutritious, not worth eating, I need to save my entire 2450 calories for lean meat and sauce and not waste any of them on a bowl of noodles or rice", then yes, this is a "carbs are the devil" thread. It is not even a "personally I do not care about noodles and other carbs" thread, because people who do not care about eating these foods, they do not miss them and have no need for replacements. It is definitely a "how to pretend I am eating regular pasta which I miss, but keep my low-carb diet" thread. Which is fine, but the title is misleading.

It seems to me noodles of most types and rice are usually just something to eat with some other tastier food. While I'm sure some people like them by themselves, most people have them with some sauce or curry or something. If you can save calories on the "filler" food, why not? Nobody said anything about carbs being evil...I think you are just reading into this the most argumentative possible meaning deliberately.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Tldr
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have had them in Asian dishes that my daughter wanted me to make. They are fine in dishes that come from the culture that made them. I did suggest them to a diabetic friend who loves Asian foods, and tries to save his carbs for a nightly shot of high end whiskey. Not sure if he has tried them or not. Fishy taste does not matter if you are adding fish sauce to the recipe anyhow. I wouldn't think these would be as good in traditional Italian or German dishes...unless they have seafood in them.

And for another no carb/calorie item...try a dill pickle. Of course, you may go over you salt macro for the day, but a whole one IS filling.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I hate those things. We have a whole bin of them at work on sale for 50 cents each, and we still can't sell them. Kelp noodles are much better for a few extra calories.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    not really happy

no funny smell or taste, they actually don't taste of anything

the texture is the problem, they are really rubbery and it's a strange feeling

I was expecting a huge portion for 380g, but I was disappointed as it didn't look massive

I feel bloated though

in the end - quantity ok, taste is good as they absorb the taste of the sauce I've used, but I cannot get over their texture (and the thought of it makes me a bit sick right now)

They call them "the broom" for a reason! I can't eat an entire bag without adverse effects, but I do love them (half bag) with all kinds of vegetables and some kind of Asian sauce with or without broth.

Did you dry fry them after rinsing? That's how I get the ramen style texture.

removed water first, then soaked a bit in water, and then in a wok for 5-10 mins (with meatballs and tomato sauce added at the end)

they are ok for taste and smell, but really the texture is what bothers me
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    One of the local mainstream grocers has the stuff again and for once is keeping it next to the ramen and soy sauce where it belongs. Still in packaging that screams disgusting diet food and will probably be discontinued in a couple months again because a lot of people shy away from attempting ethnic dishes and the texture is too distinctive to use as a passable substitute for anything. That and there's still invariably a vegetable or few that they still don't stock and requires a trip to the Asian market which reliably carries the noodles.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Well, most carbs don't give you a whole lot of nutrition anyway
    What?

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Why would you want to eat a food with zero calories, so zero nutrition value? Do they provide other things like vitamins etc? Or is it just a way to fill you up and make you not want to eat more, like an appetite suppressant but more natural?

Well, most carbs don't give you a whole lot of nutrition anyway - pasta and rice are not particularly nutritious as far as I know - the main nutrition part is often the meat or vegetable addition (protein, vitamins etc). for me, having a zero calorie carb still let me have that traditional dish without all the calories it brings. It tastes good, for a start, yes it is filling, and it made me feel like I was having a proper meal.

rice has no nutrition, really? I think you need togo back to the drawing board. Rice, pasta, and potatoes contain plenty of micronutrients.

here is a breakdown of regular brown nice:
    Vitamins
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
    Vitamin A0.0IU0%
    Vitamin C0.0mg0%
    Vitamin D~ ~
    Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)2.2mg11%
    Vitamin K3.5mcg4%
    Thiamin0.7mg49%
    Riboflavin0.2mg10%
    Niacin9.4mg47%
    Vitamin B60.9mg47%
    Folate37.0mcg9%
    Vitamin B120.0mcg0%
    Pantothenic Acid2.8mg28%
    Choline56.8mg
    Betaine~
    Minerals
    Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
    Calcium42.6mg4%
    Iron2.7mg15%
    Magnesium265mg66%
    Phosphorus616mg62%
    Potassium412mg12%
    Sodium13.0mg1%
    Zinc3.7mg25%
    Copper0.5mg26%
    Manganese6.9mg346%
    Selenium43.3mcg62%
    Fluoride~

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5706/2#ixzz3hqZWSz2N

so not sure where you are getting the no nutritional value….

^^^This...

• msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I buy them from Vitacost. They are great!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    One of the local mainstream grocers has the stuff again and for once is keeping it next to the ramen and soy sauce where it belongs. Still in packaging that screams disgusting diet food and will probably be discontinued in a couple months again because a lot of people shy away from attempting ethnic dishes and the texture is too distinctive to use as a passable substitute for anything. That and there's still invariably a vegetable or few that they still don't stock and requires a trip to the Asian market which reliably carries the noodles.

That's the problem though isn't it? People use things to "substitute" instead of "augment". I never expect any [X] substitute to taste like [X] or take its place, but I don't mind experimenting with new foods and make them into their own dishes. Cauliflower "rice" for example is not rice, nor will it ever be, but I enjoy it as its own dish whenever I feel like having cauliflower rice. When I feel like having rice, actual rice is what I will be having. I haven't tasted the noodles yet, and I'm not usually picky about texture, so let's wait and see. Hopefully I'll be able to make it into something exciting.
  • faye_machine
    faye_machine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate those things. We have a whole bin of them at work on sale for 50 cents each, and we still can't sell them. Kelp noodles are much better for a few extra calories.

Uhhhh where's your store? I'll totally buy a bin from you!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Gross.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Lookit what you guys made me do XD

qummigglli8o.jpg

Over 1 lb of food (nearly 2 lbs actually) for ~500 calories. Documented in my diary. Wasn't even an Asian dish this time.

Kiddo actually prefers these noodles over normal ones now, to the point he'll ask for his own when I'm making any pasta dish... and he's a picky eater! This is apparently how he defines 'noodle' in his palate now, so much as it's how I define 'Asian dish noodle' now. All a matter of perspective.

Craving them again now that lunch hunger has arrived XD
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    not really happy

no funny smell or taste, they actually don't taste of anything

the texture is the problem, they are really rubbery and it's a strange feeling

I was expecting a huge portion for 380g, but I was disappointed as it didn't look massive

I feel bloated though

in the end - quantity ok, taste is good as they absorb the taste of the sauce I've used, but I cannot get over their texture (and the thought of it makes me a bit sick right now)

They call them "the broom" for a reason! I can't eat an entire bag without adverse effects, but I do love them (half bag) with all kinds of vegetables and some kind of Asian sauce with or without broth.

Did you dry fry them after rinsing? That's how I get the ramen style texture.

removed water first, then soaked a bit in water, and then in a wok for 5-10 mins (with meatballs and tomato sauce added at the end)

they are ok for taste and smell, but really the texture is what bothers me

I wouldn't really recommend the traditional shirataki noodles as a substitute for pasta... it would be a bit like using ramen or udon noodles as a substitute for spaghetti. o_O
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I tried some a few weeks ago and they weren't bad. I rinsed them well so I didn't get the fishy taste most people experience, but they had a gummy texture which I wasn't a big fan of.