Another picky eater - no lectures please (long post)

Options
j724mecham
j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
Having some serious food issues that I think are very much affecting my lack of weight loss. I started MFP 5/15 and to date have lost about 4 pounds. While this is nice and all, I'd like to lose about 2 lbs a week. I did realize that I hadn't set my macros correctly so I was eating way too many carbs, not enough protein, and too much fat. My sodium was also set at 2500, while I'd like to keep it under 2000. I corrected my macros to 40/30/30 as suggested to me on a previous thread I started. However, I've come to realize a huge issue...

I am a VERY picky eater. It's not the "oh you were just raised not to like good stuff so now you don't" or the "just try it and you'll eventually like it." It's the fact that during and after pregnancy, something happened. I feel like I have intense smell/taste receptors. I began not to like so many things. I have looked it up before and there is a lot of research about selective eating disorder. While I don't know what's wrong, I could certainly use some advice in the mean time. All of these issues result that by the time I get in at least 1200 calories (when I'd really like to be at 1500-1600), I end up WAY over on sodium, carbs, and fat. I know that it's caused by sensitivity. I'd like to figure out a way to overcome this. I have provided a list below of things I don't like (seems easier than things I do like) and would appreciate your suggestions. Please also keep in mind that it's not the type of thing like I'm trying it and just saying "Oh, that's not as tasty as a Whopper so I don't want to eat it." It's the actual, my husband will be grilling chicken in a pan and I have to cover my nose so I don't puke and have him open all the windows. It's serious. Same with reheating leftovers. If it has meat, I have issues. During pregnancy. I basically ate Taco Bell, McDonalds, mexican food bean burritos throughout my pregnancy - hence my desire to lose weight.

The odd thing is that it's not everywhere that I have the issue. My biggest issue is with meat. I can easily pick up the subtle different tastes. So while I want to vomit when my husband makes grilled chicken, my mother in law makes chicken curry and I love it. Or they'll make chicken enchiladas with grilled chicken and I love it. Or I hate homemade ground beef because I can truly taste the terrible beef flavor (it tastes like the beefy water from when you make ground beef), but I'm ok with it from fast food (obviously because it's not real ground beef). Or ham, I will not eat a homemade ham sandwich, but I love ham sandwiches from subway because it tastes 100% different.

Sorry for the long post, but please no lectures. I don't try to be picky and I would love to like these things. I also work M-F full time and go to school as my husband does too so I don't have time to do crock pots and all that stuff.

Lastly, my diary is open. Please keep in mind I did have fast food yesterday because I was so dang hungry from running out of ideas. I am on a meager weekly grocery budget, which just adds to this whole mess. I am working on making more $ available for it, just now a lot fell on my plate.

I do not like -
Beef (specifically ground, as a steak, in a stew. There's only a couple dishes my husband makes that I like beef in)
Ham
Turkey
Pork (including bacon & sausage)
Chicken (EXCEPT there is a box of crispy chicken tenderloins at Sam's Club that I will sometimes buy for the week and make for my dinners only since I don't like it reheated for lunch - I've tried)
Most veggies except for cooked broccoli and raw carrots
Mangoes
Bananas
Milk
Cottage Cheese
The only cheese I like is pepperjack and cheddar
Hot dogs unless they are beef only
Cake
Cupcakes (luckily)
Brown rice
Fish
Tomatoes
Onions

I'm forgetting what else. Mostly it's the issue with meat, as my protein is very low and my carbs are very high. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should think about going vegetarian if meat is really bothering you? I see you didn't list eggs in your dislike list. What about beans and things like that?
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm totally confused by this post. Not a lecture, but you like fast food ground beef but not homemade? Do you just hate the smell of cooking? Are you buying crappy ground beef? I've found that better meats taste better...

I really am confused by what you do like. Eggs as mentioned have protein, nuts, some beans. Maybe you could try different kinds of meats, different sauces, prepared different ways? No clue.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, buttercup. You're acting like a baby.

See. No lecture.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Smoothies with lots of fruit and some yogurt and almond milk

Sandwiches with lettuce and tomato

It sounds like you may do yourself a favor if you get a really massive cookbook from the library and just start trying things. Try "Vegetarian cooking for everyone" by Deborah Madison, or a basic Betty Crocker cookbook.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

See. No lecture.
    505cba97afa96f7a59001243.gif
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who pretty much lives on french fries and gummy bears. He doesn't eat anything with meat, and very little that's vegetable. It can be a real thing, and it's not always just a learned trait http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

What DO you like? Let's start there.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I don't see yogurt on your list, Greek yogurt especially can be very high in protein and if you don;t like regular yogurt I'd still urge you to try Greek because it is MUCH thicker, smoother and less tart than regular yogurt. Like the other suggestions you've gotten so far too.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    No time for crock pots? They are the goto for people who HAVE no time. Make up batches of food on the weekends to reheat during the week. As for being a picky eater, only you know what you DO like. Figure it out and learn to work with it. That's the only real advice to be offered as far as I can tell. Gluck to you!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

See. No lecture.
    <3 U
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Avocado
    Yogurt
    Whole grain/wheat bread
    Quinoa
    Almond milk/Soy milk
    Beans
    Hummus
    Lentils
    Protein powder
    Nut butters
    Rice cakes
    Eggs
    Tofu
    Nuts
    Granola

Just a suggestion.

If you don't like most meat, go vegetarian and try different fruits/veggies...stuff you wouldn't normally eat/try. Season your veggies very well. Etc.

There are tons of different protein sources I wouldn't know of that I haven't even mentioned. Ask other veggies what they eat!
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try adding spinach to smoothies? I heard you can't taste it but I haven't tried it. Also get protein from eggs and peanut butter? Or look up some good vegetarian dishes? I don't think I can be of much help however there's a lot of food not listed on your list!! Good luck!! :)
  • clairabellle
    clairabellle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My goodness, the only thing I can suggest is going to see a nutritionist if your finances can stretch that far. Good luck and I hope this works out for you as it sounds horrid and you wouldn't be listing if it wasn't a huge issue for you. :flowerforyou:
  • sandrop329
    sandrop329 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The following isn't meant to be a "lecture" but just a suggestion as you how you approach food.

From reading your post it seems, understandably, that there's a lot of negative feelings surrounding what you eat. There's a lot of "I don't like" "I hate" "can't " "will not" etc. So often we get so focused on the negative side of things we drag our selves down.

I say instead of making a list of all the foods you hate and can't stand make a list of the foods you actually like! Make a few lists... "Recipes/Meals I Love" "Proteins I like" "Veggies I like" "Fruits I like" "Fats I like" "Spice/Seasonings I like" etc. Really take your time and fill these lists out as completely as possible. Keep them somewhere you can see them and add to them when you find new foods that you like. Use these food lists to make meals and recipes that you love. There are recipe sites that you plug in the ingredients that you have or want to use to search for new recipes.

Change your vocabulary from a negative one to a positive one... You're NOT a picky eater. You have a REFINED palette! You're selected about what you choose to fuel your body with! Don't say you "can't eat ___" say you "don't eat ___." Focus on the positive... don't make it harder on yourself than it has to be. There are sooo many foods out there and you have a lifetime to discover the things that you do like. Try new things, if you don't like meat... don't eat it! Get a protein shake, eat greek yogurt, or some other vegetarian protein source. Do your research. You can do this! Empower yourself! Refuse to get caught up in the can'ts won'ts hates.

Good luck to you!!
    Sandrop
  • PepperWorm
    Options

See. No lecture.

Because being incredibly rude and dismissive is exactly what someone looking for support needs.

Grow up.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to increase your protein intake try using more eggs, or egg whites if you don't care for whole. You could also use Greek yogurt and add in chopped fruit or in place of mayonnaise in sandwiches.

I know it sounds weird, but one of my favorite breakfast recipes is:

1/2 (1 if you want more calories) banana mashed
    1/2 cp (1 cp if more calories are needed) egg whites
    2 tablespoons almond butter (any nut butter or sunflower seed butter will work)
    1/2 cp chopped berries (any are good, I use raspberries or strawberries)
    vanilla extract and cinnamon to taste

Mix the mashed banana with the egg whites, vanilla and cinnamon and cook as an omelette, I use an electric skillet and a little coconut oil. use the almond butter and berries as a filling in the omelette by carefully spreading the almond butter and adding the berries so that it's evenly distributed when you fold/roll the omelette up.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Give us a list of non-processes foods that you can tolerate, and we will come up with tons of recipes. I agree with the vegetarian diet :) You might just love it. But lets see your "love" list first so you can get started on feeling better.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    I agree with others on the yogurt thing. Greek yogurt is awesome and PACKED with protein.

Seeds are good, too. Especially raw pumpkin seeds. I LOVE the taste! They have a new Great Grains cereal with them in it. Sooooooo tasty.

If you like cheddar cheese, buy it by the block and measure out 1 oz at a time in sliced or cubes. You can buy the pre-cubed/sliced as well. Have you tried other cheeses? Monterey Jack is close to pepperjack and cheddar. Munster, provolone, feta...mmmm.

Try dicing veggies in the food processor really fine and mixing it in with your food. Sometimes you can't taste it. Unless you're a super taster like my husband...lol.

Everyone has time for a slow cooker meal. All you have to do is wake up a little early and throw everything in. Prepare some of the ingredients the night before if you have to, then put it in the pot in the morning. If you're really crunched for time, you can cook things on high for 4 hrs and have instant dinner.

Good luck!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,957 Member
    Options
    Find the healthy foods you like and eat them. To increase your protein, you might try those smoothies some folks make with protein powder. I'm not a fan but lots of people love them. I also have a friend who loves Quest bars which have lots of protein. Find what works for you because you won't eat what you don't like, and life's too short to eat "nasty" food.
  • j724mecham
    j724mecham Posts: 102 Member
    Options

See. No lecture.

Because being incredibly rude and dismissive is exactly what someone looking for support needs.

Grow up.

Thank you!!! If I could just "suck it up," i would have done it already.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Find the healthy foods you like and eat them. To increase your protein, you might try those smoothies some folks make with protein powder. I'm not a fan but lots of people love them. I also have a friend who loves Quest bars which have lots of protein. Find what works for you because you won't eat what you don't like, and life's too short to eat "nasty" food.

There's a really good pumpkin seed protein powder by Omega Nutrition if you can afford it (I know you're on a budget). It turns the smoothie a little green, but you can't even taste it.