The uphill battle at home.

Options

Replies

• cwms3rd
    cwms3rd Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok ok I get I am lazy and worthless. This is all my fault.
  • bigtone89
    bigtone89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are neither.....use MFP app and really count your cals - if you stick to it and also walk every day I guarantee you will lose weight...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Having a pity party and calling yourself names will get you nowhere. Set up your MFP profile properly, do a bit of meal planning, and stick to your calories. That's all it takes and that's all stuff that you can do yourself.
  • bigtone89
    Options
    Agree.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cwms3rd wrote: »

is there cake at this pity party?!
  • bigtone89
    Options
    I think he's looking for positive support...just saying.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Not at all!

What we're saying --some rather bluntly but that's life-- is that judging by your post, you aren't doing everything you can do to make weight loss happen.
  • bigtone89
    Options
    You're worthless and weak!!!!!!! JK
    Anyway, dude, I've used this MFP for some time - when I'm serious and stick to it, I can almost watch the weight fall....when I'm not as serious and I cheat, then I stay stuck on the plateau. It works for sure, but you gotta be committed.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options

The only person putting those labels on you is you. You CAN do this, but it starts with believing that you can.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Ok dude. It's time to listen up. You're getting tough love here and nothing else. YOU CAN DO THIS!! Read that last sentence again, because it's true. You can lose weight and eat at any goddamn time you want: before 7, after midnight, etc. It's just calories in vs. calories out!! Eat fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose that weight. You know what?? I had a freakin' chocolate cupcake yesterday with chocolate frosting and CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES!! You know something else? I'm not feeling guilty about it at all. I ate several hundred calories less than what I burned, and I've been doing this for almost 7 months. AND I'VE LOST WEIGHT. How much?? Just about 60 pounds, brother. Nobody else but me puts that food in my mouth; nobody. If I can do it, you can do it. Man up, get some will power, and kick your own *kitten*
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There will always be tempting food available, it's up to you to choose what will fit into your daily calories.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your struggle... What has helped me is to separate the groceries. I have one shelf in the fridge for my healthy foods and two shelves in the cupboard for my healthy foods. It's hard to take away family dinner time due to needing to eat in a separate room but instead of eating dinner together for family quality time... Have family game time and have those discussions that use to take place at the dinner table at the "game" table instead. Try to be flexible with your time so that you still get the discussion time in at times when their health choices won't lose such a temptation to you. Once your cravings for the junk foods have subsided (give yourself at least 30 days) and you find yourself satisfied fully with your healthy foods reintroduce family meal times. Good luck! It's not easy by no means but it is also by no means impossible. Once the weight starts to drop and your energy increase and your family sees positive change in you... They may be more accommodating of trying some of these new habits for themselves... But if not you can still set a better example of healthy diet by continuing to work on your weight and maintaining the Pitstone health changes you've adopted.
  • RebeccaJ0405
    RebeccaJ0405 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You are worth the effort. You can do this. :smile:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I hope you are not like this at home, and only venting here. Because being married to an overweight person is fine. Listening to him/her constantly whine about not losing weight and blaming others, that is definitely NOT attractive.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Why does your wife control what or when you eat? You go ahead and prepare what you want to eat, and eat it when you please. If she doesn't like that, tough noogies, she can either get on board or eat her fattening junk by herself. Same goes for the old folks. They can bring all the crap they want but you have the right to refuse to eat it. And once they're gone for the day I would probably throw away any that was left. You aren't a storage facility for other ppl's junk food. I know it's harder to do without the support of those around you, but... we're adults and we make our own choices. You do it your way and they can either adjust or whine, lol who cares.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Point of clarification: when you say your wife drags her feet with dinner....are you saying you're waiting for her to COOK dinner, or you're simply waiting for her to JOIN you at the dinner table? If it's the first, yeah, you just need to start cooking. If it's the latter....when you eat is totally up to you. Sure, I understand it's preferable to eat together as a family, but if you know that waiting will cause you to overeat (if that's your personality), then just don't wait. I tend to eat dinner with my kids around 5pm when we get home. We're hungry, and if I wait a couple hours until my husband gets home I'll be too ravenous and overeat. That's my personality. We eat together over the weekend when it's a more relaxed atmosphere.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Another thought: clear off a shelf or two in the fridge/pantry for your parents' food. Tell them that's where they should keep their food. Then you need to just stay clear of it.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I went down this path yesterday when I lamented that my husband brought ice cream into the house when I had asked him not to. Ultimately, though, it is my responsibility to avoid the ice cream. It's harder knowing it's in the fridge when I'm stressed, but that is just the price of living with another person. It's also forcing me to notice my emotional eating triggers (when I have the desire to open the freezer) and address them head-on.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The timing of meals doesn't really matter for weight loss. However, if you don't want to eat after 7PM, then don't eat after 7PM. Your wife can eat whenever she pleases. There's no rule that you both have to eat at the same time. Also, if you eat separately, you don't have to watch her eat things you've decided not to eat. Win-Win.

Your parents are providing free child care for you in your home. You don't even need to cart your offspring over to their house. They can bring whatever they like. You may want to empty out a cupboard for them to store items so that they are out of your line-of-sight.

Supporting you is different from changing themselves around to suit you. They are having to deal with your changes and you need to deal with their non-changes.

Part of being able to sustain weight loss long term is learning how to be surrounded with temptation without surrendering. You can do it!
    All great advice - I couldn't have said it better!

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You are probably half right. We all get lazy, but we are all far from worthless. Stop calling yourself that or you will make it come true. The other part of your statement "This is all my fault" is probably the most helpful. You are realizing that you need to fix you. You can't change anyone else, just yourself. Realizing you got where you were by your own devices is the first step towards working on the things you can control. If more people would own blame instead of trying to give it to someone else I think this world would be a better place.

You got the power inside of you. Take a few small steps each day and in a week or two you will be a changed (for the better) person who might just inspire changes in those around you that you love.