Do you take diet breaks?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    All the experts I respect agree that diet breaks are necessary in calorie restriction. Note to those above, a diet calling for -250-1000 calorie deficits is a restrictive diet.

I did after 3.5 months (roughly 10 days over Christmas--maintained weight). I did for two weeks about 2.5 months later when my energy began to flag. (Lost 4 pounds while eating at MFP-prescribed maintenance.) I've been eating at maintenance some days and eating at a deficit others for the last few months, and this is what my weight loss looks like:
    ux0b2tt1afl9.png

I have news for you: maintenance is also a restrictive diet

Explain what you think "restrictive" means, because I do not see eating roughly as much as you burn as restrictive at all.

It's restrictive for me because even eating at maintenance, I'm often hungry.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    No, I don't "take diet breaks", because I'm not on a diet.
    I've made permanent changes in how / what I eat, so I can maintain health & lower weight.
    I eat what I want, in reasonable quantities, all the time.
    (Except oreos... )
    "lkhunter wrote:
    "a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight"
    according to Webster you are on a diet.
    If I'm eating to maintain a lower weight, am I also eating to reduce weight?
    I suppose it's possible those could be the same thing.

But with the broader term of 'diet' (what we eat), yes, I'm on a diet. We all are.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    All the experts I respect agree that diet breaks are necessary in calorie restriction. Note to those above, a diet calling for -250-1000 calorie deficits is a restrictive diet.

I did after 3.5 months (roughly 10 days over Christmas--maintained weight). I did for two weeks about 2.5 months later when my energy began to flag. (Lost 4 pounds while eating at MFP-prescribed maintenance.) I've been eating at maintenance some days and eating at a deficit others for the last few months, and this is what my weight loss looks like:
    ux0b2tt1afl9.png

Explain what you think "restrictive" means, because I do not see eating roughly as much as you burn as restrictive at all.

I've seen you post that a lot. Not to derail, but have you had your hormone levels checked? Except for immediately before my period (and days when I make bad choices), I really don't experience hunger like you describe. There has to be something they can do for you medically.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, I don't "take diet breaks", because I'm not on a diet.
    I've made permanent changes in how / what I eat, so I can maintain health & lower weight.
    I eat what I want, in reasonable quantities, all the time.
    (Except oreos... )
    "lkhunter wrote:
    "a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight"
    according to Webster you are on a diet.
    If I'm eating to maintain a lower weight, am I also eating to reduce weight?
    I suppose it's possible those could be the same thing.

But with the broader term of 'diet' (what we eat), yes, I'm on a diet. We all are.

You also said you were eating well below your BMR. Is that also the maintenance that you expect at the end of this?

For me, even though I am not eating below my BMR (although I don't think there's anything wrong with doing so), a deficit is going to be below my expected goal maintenance. I assume that's true for many.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

ux0b2tt1afl9.png

I've seen you post that a lot. Not to derail, but have you had your hormone levels checked? Except for immediately before my period (and days when I make bad choices), I really don't experience hunger like you describe. There has to be something they can do for you medically.

Well it's mostly before my period too, and the first few days of it, then I'm typically fine for 2-3 weeks, but that's still close to 2 weeks every month during which I am starving (and doctors say it's normal and there's nothing they can do about it anyway). The issue is that I have to keep a deficit the rest of the time to make for it to avoid gaining, and that's why I get hungry. If I always ate at maintenance, I'd be fine... but I'd gain because of that awful PMS week.

So yeah, it has to be restrictive for me to maintain. If I ate everything I really wanted, I'd gain all the weight back eventually.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

ux0b2tt1afl9.png

Well it's mostly before my period too, and the first few days of it, then I'm typically fine for 2-3 weeks, but that's still close to 2 weeks every month during which I am starving (and doctors say it's normal and there's nothing they can do about it anyway). The issue is that I have to keep a deficit the rest of the time to make for it to avoid gaining, and that's why I get hungry. If I always ate at maintenance, I'd be fine... but I'd gain because of that awful PMS week.

So yeah, it has to be restrictive for me to maintain. If I ate everything I really wanted, I'd gain all the weight back eventually.

That's rough. I think I'd mention it to another doctor too.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I am going to go on a week long vacation in a little under 2 weeks. I intend to eat at maintenance, but continue to log (not weigh).

I won't take another break for ~14 weeks after that, when Thanksgiving hits. I'll then go another 3 weeks until Christmas hits, and then I won't take another break until I hit my goal weight.

This works with my schedule. It allows me to both hit my weight loss goals and enjoy friends/family and food.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I eat just a bit in calorie deficit. I ramp up exercise to burn more fat.

For example: I ride 20 miles at 17+ mph and call that 50 calories per mile, a realistic number, and that is 1000 calories gone. I do that 4 days a week minimum.

I probably eat 400 or so calories per day under what I need.

I don't ever feel starved and I'm losing 1.5 lbs or so a week.

Extreme food deprivation is not how I want to do it.

A little calorie deficit and a few thousand exercise cities works for me.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My "breaks" generally coincide with vacations. I don't log during those weeks, but I tend to stick near maintenance.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

ux0b2tt1afl9.png

YOU said that a 250 calorie deficit is restrictive. So I'm saying that maintenance is also restrictive in that you are imposing limits on yourself. If you were not restrictive at all, you would completely disregard the numbers, which is not the same as maintenance.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

ux0b2tt1afl9.png

WORD. I've calculated that at my height (4'11), when I lose another 10 lbs my maintenance will only be 1390. I will still be hungry because I want to eat ALL THE THINGS, regardless of my height and weight. I do eat back calories though, so I estimate my maintenance will in reality be around 1600, but still, it's restrictive because I can't eat everything in sight :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance level occasionally or slightly over, but I plan for it. I also wouldn't consider my calorie deficit aggressive.
    The only time I would say that I had a real "break" from restricting calories was while I was pregnant.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat just a bit in calorie deficit. I ramp up exercise to burn more fat.

For example: I ride 20 miles at 17+ mph and call that 50 calories per mile, a realistic number, and that is 1000 calories gone. I do that 4 days a week minimum.

I probably eat 400 or so calories per day under what I need.

I don't ever feel starved and I'm losing 1.5 lbs or so a week.

Extreme food deprivation is not how I want to do it.

A little calorie deficit and a few thousand exercise cities works for me.

If you were eating 400 calories per day under what you need you would lose ~0.8lb/week. You are obviously eating closer to 750 calories per day under what you need to maintain your weight. You are either underestimating exercise, or overestimating calories consumed.

I lift 3x/week and play ultimate for 1.5-2 hours 1x/week and eat on average 1750 calories and rarely feel hungry outside of right before a meal and I lose ~2lb/week. Obviously I'm eating ~1000 calories under what I need.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "Avoid prolonged periods in aggressive caloric deficits."- I think aggressive caloric deficits are hard to maintain so I did not choose that path. I chose to lose slowly.
    "If you have a lot of fat to lose and it’s going to take more than 3 months to hit your long term fat loss goal"- Yes. This is true.

I've done fine losing 24.5 lbs just giving MFP my stats and choosing to lose 1 lb a week for my goal. I still have 25-30 lbs to lose but don't really want to lower my calories any more so I recently switched my goal to losing .5 lb a week.
    I've looked at multiple calculators to see what my maintenance calories for my goal weight will be. Occasionally, I eat closer to my maintenance level because that is life.

It isn't going to hurt you to eat at your maintenance calories for a week every few months if you want but you don't have to. I think people take breaks every now and then due to mental fatigue/stress rather than metabolic damage. If your plan isn't very stressful or restrictive to begin with then you may not feel the need to take a break. I recommend choosing a less aggressive goal.

• Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I keep these links in my profile. I am a huge proponent of diet breaks.

Diet breaks
    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
    * http://strengthunbound.com/when-to-take-a-diet-break/

Both of these were interesting reads. The first breaks the problem into two parts - physiological and psychological. The second deals more with the physiological response. I think this is an important distinction to make. When people talk about cheat days, they are talking more about the mental side of things. I am fine on the mental side of things, but am quite interested in the physiological side. I read the first a couple months ago (and several others on his site) and keep meaning to buy his book (just haven't got the time to read just yet - maybe at the end of the month). I haven't seen the second before (and thanks for sharing) so I don't know much about the source but will do some further digging on the body chemistry involved - quite fascinating to me actually.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my brain sees the word metabolism and just interprets "magic"...like there's way too many theories and contradicting studies for me to even care about metabolism
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    No, I don't do this. I stay as consistent as possible at all times. The only things I change about every 30 days are the types/days/times of my work outs and the spread/break-down of my calories througout the day.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly difficult to maintain any kind of deficit for a long period of time. So I listen to my body and take "breaks". Sometimes they are brought about by vacations and such. Other times it's just clear that after so many days or weeks of solid deficit, extra calories are needed. If nothing else, helps with sanity.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

ux0b2tt1afl9.png

YOU said that a 250 calorie deficit is restrictive. So I'm saying that maintenance is also restrictive in that you are imposing limits on yourself. If you were not restrictive at all, you would completely disregard the numbers, which is not the same as maintenance.

So your definition of restrictive is "any limit at all" and mine is "a caloric deficit." Okay. We're talking across each other then.
  • elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses!