belly band?

Options
Okay, so this was brought up in my family the other night. My biggest struggle is i plateau, it seems no matter what i try i cant get past a 240 mark. So this was suggested i talk ti a doctor about it. I was wondering if anyone knew about it,had experience with it etc or any good links or places to look. Thanks.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A plateau is usually caused by not being as accurate when counting calories. Usually we start seeing success and we don't count the bit, lick or taste and we stop weighing food. Start with weighing and logging absolutely everything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    So you're just doing this by dieting? Don't go a surgery route unless you've done everything (and I'm sure you haven't) possible to reduce your weight without it. Most of the time with people it's going to be the wrong approach as to why they aren't losing consistently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fittogroom
    fittogroom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking at it for a while yet, but it came up so I'm trying to get a feel for it while I try other things. I'm starting up again this week, hope to really keep st ice with it
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    fittogroom wrote: »
    I'm not looking at it for a while yet, but it came up so I'm trying to get a feel for it while I try other things. I'm starting up again this week, hope to really keep st ice with it

It is absolutely unnecessary. You can be successful without it and it may actually make your life more difficult in the long run.
  • turnernpooch2
    turnernpooch2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The whole surgery route scares the bajeezus out of me. I know people have had life changing success , and it's by no means "the easy route". I have spoken with a number of people who had had issue with belly band/lap band surgeries. I.E., they slipped, or in some cases the person (because of food habits and eating disorders like binge eating) has had the surgery be useless. I think this procedure has an important role to play to certain people. I myself am a terrible binge eater, and this would not work for someone like me. My weight loss had to start with the emotions of why I'm doing it. Only then did my weight loss start to happen.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I plateaued. The advice from big-shot weight loss experts was to take a six month break. So I did. I'd been losing for a long, long time and the "take a break" advice was very welcomed.

It worked. When I went back to losing, I lost again.

So, I am a big fan of the break. :)

Some people don't believe plateaus are possible. I believe it. I lived it.

Another poster - and I wish I could remember the post - wrote about losing 200+ pounds and said they'd hit a plateau for five months. They stuck it out, though. Kept weighing and logging and didn't give up. After five months, they began losing again. I think that person had the patience of a saint. (I so wish I could remember that post. It was super-long, but very honest and motivating, I think it was intended to be motivating and it really was.)

So, sticking with it is probably good advice, too. :)
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    fittogroom wrote: »
    Okay, so this was brought up in my family the other night. My biggest struggle is i plateau, it seems no matter what i try i cant get past a 240 mark. So this was suggested i talk ti a doctor about it. I was wondering if anyone knew about it,had experience with it etc or any good links or places to look. Thanks.

Don't go to a doctor, go to a trainor. Eat less calories by 100, exercise more by 100
    that should create a deficit of 200 calories.. do that for a week or two.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You can do it! As everyone said. Watch the intake and increase the burn in your exercises.
    We're here to keep you encouraged and going!
    Most of us will have a bad day/week/even a couple weeks, then its back at it.

Its a Lifestyle.
    My friend (actually several) but one had surgery and hit a plateau and the doc said "Surgery did its job, this is where you will be" she was like "No way, I have another 25 pounds at least, to lose!" Eating more whole foods and working out and she is almost there.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This may sound mean but you can't "stick" with things now, so how would surgery help that? The surgery does not make the hard work that is needed go away, you still have to stick with things and stay in your eating plan. If you don't, you can get violently ill. Surgery should be a last resort, not an option just because you don't want to put in the hard work.