No heavy lifting

Options
I don't know if some of you remember not, but I had left shoulder issues a while back and went to PT for it. I just had my last PT session yesterday. They are not sure what caused me to lose ROM in that arm. I asked him yesterday when I can start trying to do heavy weights (5x5) he recommened that I do not do those ever. He wants me to just use the machines and continue with my running. Ugh. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to do lifts :neutral:. Should I follow the advice of my PT or do what I want and find a trainer who will show me how to lift properly?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Shoulders can be tricky. You DON'T have to do 5x5 to still lift. You just have to apply exercises that don't aggravate shoulder issues. Personally, if they said no overhead presses, then you shouldn't do them. A trainer can show you proper form, but if your shoulder can't hold the lift, then you shouldn't do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Would calesthenics be an option for you?
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Would calesthenics be an option for you?
    I feel dumb, what are those?

• emilybeaver
    Options
    Oh I like it up. Good ol google. I can do those. He showed me how to do pelvic tilts yesterday along with planks and how to correctly do a wall sit. I plan on doing some weights with the machines. I just was bummed. I wanted to do heavy lifts and get faster results.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    What about body weight exercises? Like You are your own gym or Convict Conditioning.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My own experience is that lifting helped me restore full rom in my shoulder after a rotator cuff injury. After 2.5years I'm almost pain free as well. Just sharing my experience, ymmv.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    cavia wrote: »
    My own experience is that lifting helped me restore full rom in my shoulder after a rotator cuff injury. After 2.5years I'm almost pain free as well. Just sharing my experience, ymmv.
    Like doing the heavy weights? Or just using the weight machines?

• cavia
    Options
    I rarely use machines. Free weights via crossfit 98% of the time so the focus is on the compound and Olympic lifts. Squat, bench, press, deadlift, snatch and clean & jerk.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'm just afraid I'm going to miss it up really bad and have to do PT or surgery again. But I want to do free weights bad!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you still lift? But do it at a lower weight? When I tore my MCL, I had to slowly build up the strength. But I also do a hypertrophy style workout.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Of course you should follow the advice. You don't want to injure yourself further and lose the capacity to do basic life tasks that involve your shoulder.

I can't do free weights either due to a back problem. There is a lot that can be done with weight machines--you can still lift heavy without doing free weights. You could also try activities like swimming. Whatever you do, work up to it slowly!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Shoulders can be tricky. You DON'T have to do 5x5 to still lift. You just have to apply exercises that don't aggravate shoulder issues. Personally, if they said no overhead presses, then you shouldn't do them. A trainer can show you proper form, but if your shoulder can't hold the lift, then you shouldn't do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

After my pectoral repair surgery the doctor said I should never touch my chest on bench since that is how it tore. I just looked at him like he doesn't know what he is talking about. I have always had shoulders issues ever since high school football.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'm just afraid I'm going to miss it up really bad and have to do PT or surgery again. But I want to do free weights bad!

I could advise you start all over and rebuild your strength in your shoulders again.

• cavia
    Options
    Understandable.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    When you say PT, do mean physical therapist or personal trainer. Taking the advice of a trainer over a licensed therapist sound pretty dangerous to me.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I mean physical therapist. He had me do some weight machines yesterday. I guess I can do 5x5 and start off at the lower weight and just keep doing it until I can feel comfortable moving up. We have personal trainers at the gym I go to so maybe I can ask them what they suggest.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i suggest looking into New Rules of Lifting for Women, you can use lighter weights and find it to be a better program than Stronglifts 5x5
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i suggest looking into New Rules of Lifting for Women, you can use lighter weights and find it to be a better program than Stronglifts 5x5

Another program to look into is The New Rules of Lifting for Life. It has much lower impact moves than a lot of programs but still challenging and focus on compounding lifting.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had shoulder labrum repair surgery (SLAP and Bankart) in Dec 2014. Dr. told me to never do overhead press, pull/chin-ups or volleyball, ever and did not recommend lifting heavy. I've since consulted with a number of physical therapists and have a plan for getting back to lifting heavy and safely. I would seek out a sports med Dr. and/or therapists. I've learned that neutral grip is "safer" for shoulders and have been doing pushing and pulling excercises with a neutral grip using Globe Gripz ( http://www.globegripz.com/ ) for barbell work. I'm also on a what seems like a ridiculously slow progression but I've become comfortable taking things slow with a "long game" approach.
    TL;DR
    Get another opinion.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor. A twinge can turn into a nightmare.

I had a rotator cuff injury. I like to blame the weights even though it's MUCH more likely that it was years of swimming and especially swinging my arms against the ocean waves that began the pain, lol. I prefer to blame the weights because I like them less, but it was probably the swimming.

Had I gone in right away and not blown it off like an idiot, I'd have probably recovered a LOT faster. Since I blew it off, the idea of surgery came up. I didn't need it, thank God (!), but I had a good deal of pain (serious OUCH!) and a lot of stuff I couldn't do for a while. I'm not whining about the pain, but mentioning it so that you don't have to have it. You have no idea how much you move your shoulder (even without moving your arm) until it hurts. I guess all injuries are like that, though.

So, be smarter than me! Go get it looked at and then follow whatever advice you get.