Exercise induced Asthma anybody?

Options
__Di__
__Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
Does anybody suffer with exercise induced Asthma?

I have been running for many years, but over the last months, my breathing (only when running) has got considerably worse, so much so, that sometimes I cannot complete a run. The last 5k race I competed in, I had to stop after just 800m, completely and utterly breathless (no chest pain though) :cry: .

I went to the doctors who gave me some antibiotics for a chest infection, however, that has longed cleared up but the breathing problem when I run is now reoccurring. The doctor also gave me an asthma pump (to help open up airways) and after my abominable training session today I took a puff and was amazed at the difference, I can't remember when I was able to breathe so clearly!

Anybody else have similar?

Replies

• JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've had it since high school. I don't run anymore due to arthrits but that was when it would get the worse, using an inhailer made a huge difference! I also have breathing problems when doing cardio workouts after I've had a cold or when it's humid out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Does anybody suffer with exercise induced Asthma?

Yup since elementary school, gets worse in humid weather.

I've learned to control it as much as possible, moved out of a humid area, and for everything else I use a rescue inhaler. It gets better.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with exercise-induced asthma since I was little. It has gotten better over the last few years, and now running is the only activity that triggers my asthma. The more I exercise, the fewer asthma symptoms I have. Check with your doctor - mine told me that I can use 1/2 - 1 dose of the rescue inhaler a few minutes before I run and that really helps. I have forgotten it a few times and am ok as long as I go a bit slower and focus on controlling my breathing.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I deal with asthma every day all day. Mine is allergy triggered too. My rescue inhaler is my best friend and I work out only at home now.
  • beckiern1
    beckiern1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yep, since i was a kid. it was worse when i was heavier, and it's awful when i exercise outside on humid or high pollen count days. so i work out inside now, and have a rescue inhaler as needed. i also was on steroids for a while to bump up my lung capacity. perhaps you can discuss that with your MD as well as any breathing exercises that may help you, such as using an incentive spirometer.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Ahh you lot are diamonds for answering, thank you :flowerforyou:

I have been very worried but it is good to hear that running and cardio can still be done with care.

Dbmata, interesting you should say that about the humid weather, because it was that way very much here today when I was running and it was horrendous, I must have sounded like a steam train going along (until I was forced to stop that is!)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Yup! Nearly my whole life I have had exercise induced asthma and spent the better part of my life unable to do activities that required more than a minute of running straight until about two years ago.

I use a preventor, Symbicort, but no inhaler. I find that it depends also on season and how high the pollen count is (high pollen count I find it's harder to run outside but not impossible) and if I get sick it's a huge set back each time for me in terms of endurance. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing?

Honestly you just need to keep training it back up when you lose it, that's how I have fixed my problem with endurance every time.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and deal with exercise induced asthma most of the time. Like Daisy471 I usually use my inhaler before exercising, and I have noticed that this time of year has been hard with allergy triggers outdoors. I take Singulair and Advair and my asthma is very well managed, you might want to talk to an asthma and allergy doctor to help manage your asthma so you can continue to run. It's not fun having asthma, but the good news is that the treatment for it is excellent. Good luck!!
  • PilatesConvert
    PilatesConvert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My docs thought I had that for years but now they're just confused. When I exercise hard my blood pressure doesn't go up properly so I'm light headed, I have chest pain, I breath far too rapidly, and then if I don't slow down I black out and pass out completely. Kinda scary. After years of medical tests they gave up so I just have to cautious.

Big triggers are cold and allergens.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me: I got a horrible upper respiratory infection last summer and after 2 rounds of antibiotics, a steroid inhaler, and a rescue inhaler, it still took MONTHS for me to not wheeze when I ran. Thankfully it doesn't happen anymore, but I also don't run as much as I did then.

Hang in there.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ahh you lot are diamonds for answering, thank you :flowerforyou:

I have been very worried but it is good to hear that running and cardio can still be done with care.

Dbmata, interesting you should say that about the humid weather, because it was that way very much here today when I was running and it was horrendous, I must have sounded like a steam train going along (until I was forced to stop that is!)

Tell you one thing, running 5ks in Boston has done wonders for my ability to breathe and control my asthma, it's the second best thing you can do for fighting the exercise induced asthma. The best thing is to move somewhere dry (drier). I hate taking inhalers, as I view it as personal weakness, it's taken a lot of breathing control and lung exercisers to get to the point where I can run in 85% humidity. You have to work at it though, you can't let it control you.

Don't ever stop either, always keep moving, even if it's a death plod. ;)

Something I've used from time to time is breathing resistance tools. They're a mouthpiece you breathe through, and you can dial in resistance, which works your lungs, that has done a lot for me, it may for you. Another thing I do is dose up some caffeine a bit before I go for a run. Be the train. Embrace the train. Why? Trains don't stop until they reach their destination.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    my sister has it. she can't run 5ks either, she does better on treadmills/indoors exercise.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I struggled so badly with EIA when I first started working out. Weight loss has helped significantly!! Also after about 3 months of exercising regularly and losing weight with only an albuterol inhaler I talked to my doctor. He put me on Advair. I take it twice a day, and I haven't looked back. Now I am able to crossfit, distance run, climb rock faces, hike in high altitudes.. Talk to your Doc.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

Yup yup. It can suck. I go out of my way to avoid exercises that set me off. So i don't run, never even try because it's a guarantee to set me off. Otherwise, I keep my inhaler with me, use if I'm already tight before exercising and I've learned over the years when I need to back off.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I never used to really have a problem, but the humidity here in FL always "got to me" so to speak.

Now that I am running and competing and boot-camping, I found I'd have to stop because I couldn't breathe more than from being tired. MY doc prescribed a rescue inhaler to hit a couple of times before working out, and its made a remarkable difference.

I also found switching to an exercise bra that wasn't so "compressing" helped a lot too. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I find that it depends also on season and how high the pollen count is (high pollen count I find it's harder to run outside but not impossible) and if I get sick it's a huge set back each time for me in terms of endurance. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing?

Getting sick is always a big setback for me too. Due to that I take about 1g - 1.5g of vitamin c a day, as well as another supp that includes both zinc and mg. I've had a small one or day cold here and there, but largely haven't been sick in years. Now when I get sick, that's a whole other ball of turtlewax. I quickly escalate from a cold to bronchitis and generally quickly to pneumonia.

Every. Damn. Time. Coming back from pneumonia is ridiculous. You don't just get better, it can take months before that weariness and weight gets out of you.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I hit my inhaler twice before I go out to run and still end up wheezy after a few miles. I will stop to catch my breath and then run again if I am able. The humifity has been awful so I just try to be careful and I run early in the AM before it gets too bad.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm technically asthmatic, but had no symptoms for years. Practice breathing exercises similar to those used in meditation and yoga, and/or take up swimming and learn to breathe efficiently and intentionally.
  • nee90
    nee90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have allergic asthma and it gets really bad on humid weather too..
    Sometimes I just get tired easier when I workout because of it... I slow down or stop for 1-2 minutes if necessary... just to breath better.... then I go on...

Edit: I use my inhalers only through winter period when my asthma is at it's worst. But on summer period it's much easier to workout (or do anything else) even without them...
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    add me to the crappy breathing club.

I have asthma, triggered worse when I try to jog, on an eliptical or something vigorous like that.
    My husband did some research after my last flair up and those 3 exercises were known triggers for asthmatics.
    So, I now walk, use weights and will swim soon. Getting weight off and consistent use of my inhaler before exercise has helped me a lot.