Cottage cheese

Options

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I like it so well I don't buy it. No matter how hard I try not to, I eat the whole container as soon as I get home. Like it with all the additions mentioned above or just ground black pepper or just plain. Didn't have to acquire the taste either. My mom used to scream at me for eating it all before she had a chance to make anything with it.
  • anamibell
    anamibell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I actually really like to eat it plain ...(⌒▽⌒)
    Sometimes I mix in a little cocoa powder
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Plain cold cottage cheese is delicious. I also enjoy it as part of a salad with lettuce, tomato and tuna or with just some green olives sprinkled on it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I guess I am just a lazy guy because the 4% tastes awesome right out of the tub. I do not pig out on it because of its sugar content however.
  • jsae06
    jsae06 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use the 4% milkfat cottage cheese - can't stand the low fat stuff.

Slice a tomato, place a scoop of cottage cheese on top of each slice, sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, and chopped chives. It's a delicious, yummy snack or side dish. Sometimes I use a cucumber instead of tomato and when I'm feeling lazy, I just throw it all in a bowl and mix it up.
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like it with chopped onion, green pepper, tomatoes & a Mrs Dash flavor like garlic herb or spicy. Use to make zucchini lasagna. For a dip - add salsa & shredded cheese. I liked reading all the ideas other people wrote! Think I'll try some!
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I made a stuffed pepper recipe.

4 large red/yellow peppers
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    3 cups low fat low salt cottage cheese (the low salt part is important - regular cottage cheese is so salty)
    2 eggs
    1/4 tsp olive oil to grease pan
    You can use whatever herbs/spices you like but I like the following (it definitely needs seasoning of some kind):
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp coriander
    SALT to taste

Pre-heat oven to 375F.

Slice the top off of each pepper, remove seeds and ribs, cut in half. Place in a greased shallow dish.

Mix ingredients together. Fill each pepper with mixture and replace top of pepper. Bake at 375 for 55 minutes to an hour. Let them cool and the insides will set firmer.

This recipe is great because it's so filling, high protein, and really low calorie, so it's great if you almost used up your calories for the day.

Like other posters above, I also put cottage cheese in a baked potato. Add salt/pepper/seasoning and it's great.

Sometimes I also cut up an apple, add a little cinnamon and nutmeg and a tiny bit of brown sugar, and microwave until the apple is soft. Add a dollop of low salt cottage cheese, and it satisfies the craving for hot apple pie with whipped cream/ice cream.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I LOVE CC - I tend to have it as a healthy snack too if I'm on the go.
    An old couple once giggled at me having it whilst running late for work at the tube. I had a small salad, added some tuna and cottage cheese. It made me feel bad, but I knew I was having something nutritious :pensive:

Get creative, I love to add some cocoa powder to it, honey and of course - tuna.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I will eat cottage cheese with fruit, pineapple or strawberries are my favorite. I will also eat it with a little season salt, Mrs. Dash, or if I can find it a cottage cheese seasoning. I will eat it plain though, you should try it and not go by what "other people" say.
  • cathykoehler2015
    cathykoehler2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to try cottage cheese but I don't know any good recipes to make it taste good (I've heard its not very good plain) If anyone has any good simple recipes such as spice mixes or anything like that I would really appreciate it! I'm more into salty or spicy food than sweet so mixing with jelly or fruit doesn't really apeal to me.
    I want to try cottage cheese but I don't know any good recipes to make it taste good (I've heard its not very good plain) If anyone has any good simple recipes such as spice mixes or anything like that I would really appreciate it! I'm more into salty or spicy food than sweet so mixing with jelly or fruit doesn't really apeal to me.

Salsa mixed in. Oven baked tortilla chips or crunchy veges
  • Clduncan72
    Clduncan72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2 scrambled eggs with approx. 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese missed in while cooking. Delicious and creamy!
  • kellyyraee
    kellyyraee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Put some hot sauce on it!! :)
  • TTT_DOGG
    TTT_DOGG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    have you seen this recipe page? This started my cottage cheese love: https://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I like it plain..2% small curd.
    I've also used it in baked pastas as a replacement for all or part of the ricotta.
    yum!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If I'm wanting it to be sweet I add a little pineapple or cinnamon and a pack of Truvia with toasted pecans on top. If I want it to be savory I either add a lot of pepper or diced up tomatoes and cucumbers with a moderate amount of pepper.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    We always used to just put salt and pepper on it when I was growing up. It wasn't until my grandma put it with fruit that we ever tried it any other way. My favorite fruit with it is pineapple, but peaches are also rather good. I have never tried mixing it with anything else or cooking with it.
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    TTT_DOGG wrote: »
    have you seen this recipe page? This started my cottage cheese love: https://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page

Cool page. Lots of ideas I'll be trying out very very soon
  • RuaLGirL
    RuaLGirL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    TTT_DOGG wrote: »

Thank you!
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All depends on the brand and the curd size . Reiter is by far the best IMO.
  • TerryJackson61
    TerryJackson61 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I love it plain but it depends on the ban