What clicked with you?

I'm on the other end of a success story. I'm currently my highest weight, wondering what it's like to climb my way down and trying to find the motivation. (Believe me, I know this is all me: I don't blame anyone else for where I am.)

But for those of you who are inclined to share: What motivated you to make your past a "before," so to speak? How did you make the climb when every day felt uphill?

Replies

• theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Honestly, I have no idea. I just woke up one day and it clicked. I knew I could do it. I felt motivated and strong and everyday it got easier and easier.

I had been wanting to lose weight for quite some time to have a baby and because my thirties are creeping up on me, so those were definitely motivating factors. But the actual "clicking" was just something in my head out of nowhere telling me "now is the time, you CAN do it." Good luck!
  • mday2107
    mday2107 Posts: 34 Member
    Here is how my brain was working when the "aha" happened....

When I realized I was going into my annual doctors visit/lady check-up HOPING she was going to tell me they found something wrong when they did a blood panel on me... I was HOPING my weight was due to something being wrong... How crazy is that? HOPING I had something wrong with me... Who does that...? Blood work was great, blood pressure- great, thyroid-perfect, diabetes-nope, vitamin levels-awesome, cholesterol-again, perfect... oh wait... Heart murmur... sure, lets have that looked at.... Nope my HEART BEATS PERFECT!! That was the slight murmur they were hearing.... ok upper GI for the heartburn.... NOPE, nothing wrong there, just a "hyperactive esophagus" nothing but some weight loss and lifestyle changes to help that......

WTF!!!! What do you mean I'm the reason I'm fat... What do you mean I did this to myself... if I lose some weight some of my other "health concerns" should clear themselves up.!.?..!.?. In those moments (three doctors visits in a matter of a week) I wanted to call them all *kitten* holes like they were playing some joke on me... Then... It clicked...

Oh, I did do this to my self. I AM the reason I'm overweight... and I CAN and WILL make a change. I CAN and WILL do this. I WILL NOT give up this time. because there is no one else and nothing else to blame.... but myself. There is no reason I cant wear the clothes I want, feel confident in my own skin... I just have to believe in myself.. and allow myself to make the changes necessary... All my life I have failed at literally almost everything I've ever tried to do... THIS.... This will not be one of those things. I WILL SUCCEED. I succeeded at getting to this weight... my choices did this... so why cant my choices change this...?

Its time to make a change and stop hoping its someone or something else's fault.

Since these revelations started (about a month ago) I'm already down a little over 2lbs... and I know I can be working harder at this... Every day is one step at a time. Like a previous poster said... I forgive myself on the days I don't do it so well, or don't really try that hard, or allow myself to say "not today". But every day is a new day. A brand new opportunity to make myself proud of ME. and prove that I can and I am doing this.

**Now, am I perfect every day. Nope. Do I have some full weeks of just saying F'It still, you bet! But my days of doing good and working towards my goals are more then the days I don't now. I have lost a little over 10lbs in about two months. Let life get in the way and have stalled again. But, every day is a new day to make myself proud. And so long as I try today, that's all that matters. I cant keep myself down because yesterday my lunch was well over 1000 cals. All I can is focus on today and keep moving forward...

And of course some extra motivation is my life long best friend is getting married in the Caribbean and I'm the maid of honor... better get beach ready ;)

I hope you have you find your motivation. Its in there, you just might need to dig deep.
  • FitRoberta
    FitRoberta Posts: 73 Member
    My weight had been climbing steadily for a couple years, and I kept graduating into bigger jeans sizes. 8, 10, 12... and promising myself I'd get back in shape "tomorrow." When I had to buy size 14 jeans, I told myself that I wouldn't get any bigger than that, I would lose the weight! I saw a picture of myself at a friend's wedding shower, and I didn't recognize myself because of my size.

Well, fast forward a bit -- I didn't change my habits, and one day I could barely fit into my size 14 jeans. They were uncomfortably tight, with a muffin top that just wouldn't quit. That was it. I knew I had to either a) get serious about changing my lifestyle, or b) buy size 16 jeans. I started moving more and eating fewer calories. I don't go hungry, I just make better choices.

I'm in my size 12 jeans now, and dropping. :)

Good luck!

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    As has been mentioned, I'd just had enough. Having a new Fitbit (now Garmin) definitely helped get me started. Finding MFP was truly a Godsend. I'm a statistical person by nature, so once I got on the roll of logging food and exercise, it motivates me to this day to continue my streaks and reach new goals.
  • sandralovelady
    sandralovelady Posts: 5 Member
    I told myself "I ain't wearing no damn granny underware" Thats what did it for me.
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    edited August 2015
    I had almost always been 130-160 lbs and I was athletic. Exercise was a huge part of my life but eating right was not. I managed to keep in shape due to my exercises. After getting married, moving, family, stress, the lack of exercise and enjoying food with my husband was what got me to the 230lbs. 70 lbs gained in less than 1 year. Yes, ONE YEAR!
    My motivation to be healthy didn't happen over night because I had tried during the last two years to lose weight multiple times always starting and stopping and then restarting again.
    The thing that made everything click for me was getting on the scale one day and seeing 230+ lbs on the scale. That day not only did I cry because I had reached double the weight I had been just two summer ago before that but I realized that I was destroying my health and my relationship with MYSELF. I hadn't even realized it but I had stopped loving myself and starting hating myself. I got on the treadmill and I started exercising. 30 min to 1 hour from 1 hour to 1.5 and up to 2.5 hours of exercise a day. Walking, running, jogging, stretching doesn't matter what kind of exercise, I just make sure I stay active 2.5 hours a day at least 4-5 days a week. I have a white board as a calendar and everyday I put my current weight, my progress, how much I ate, how many calories I burned, how much water I drank, if I cheated etc and I pinned it on my wall across from my bed so I can see it when I wake up and go to sleep everyday. I've managed to lose 45 lbs in 4.5 months I still want to lose another 50-55 lbs to be where I want so I'm hoping to reach my goal by my sons birthday December 24th of this year
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Lifetime yo yo dieter with a highest weight 278 pounds 2 years ago. I'm 54 yo and in constant pain with arthritis and crumbling joints. Foot reconstruction 2013. Both my knees replaced 2015. I have NO other health issues! It's just stupid to do this to myself. I also no longer recognized my face in pics
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    When the doctor wanted to put me on a second diabetes medication because my A1C was 7.2 in December, I decided enough was enough. I started exercising. At first just walking, then graduating to running. Around that time I found this site and started logging my food. In about two months, between counting calories and running I lost over 20 lbs. The best thing is now I'm not on any meds at all! In June I went back to the doctor and my A1C was 5.8, which is in the normal range.
  • draekin13
    draekin13 Posts: 27 Member
    I realized that I needed to do it for myself not for anyone else. I didn't care if anyone else was on board with it or not anymore. I wanted to be around to be able to enjoy playing with my kids, being around long enough to retire and enjoy life.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    There were things I wanted to do that I could not because of my weight. For example, most riding stables won't let you ride unless you weigh 225 lbs or less fully-outfitted. I found there were some yoga stretches I couldn't do because fat was in the way, not because my muscles were tight. My back and feet hurt. I felt limited in Aikido because at my weight I developed too much momentum during falls. I had to shop in the fat-section of department stores or in fat-dedicated stores like Hot Topic, which limited my clothing options.

MFP currently shows me as having lost 2 lbs. Before joining MFP last year I lost 20 lbs on an Atkins diet and kept it off for about 3 years. After joining MFP I lost 20 via calorie restriction with an anti-carb bias, but compressed a nerve in my foot and couldn't exercise effectively from November to June, so I gained back ~30. Since resuming MFP July 1 I have lost ~11 lbs, which puts me 2 lbs below where I was when I signed up for MFP last year. So I have more success with lifestyle-change-based weight loss than might be suggested by my current "lbs lost" figure.

The cause of my initial weight gain was unrecognized thyroid disease--how I got to be obese in the first place. I'm treated now though, so I can finally improve my situation.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    I became a hubby and dad in the same year. :)

The day my girl was born, I realized that I absolutely HAD to change my fitness for the better, so I could keep up with her and my wife in the years to come. I'm so glad it clicked for me then, and when I falter, all I need to do is remember the two most important girls in my life, and I'm back.

Mark
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I just like to look hot. plain and simple, and stay that way.
  • maggieobc
    maggieobc Posts: 9 Member
    I am a few weeks in and feeling positive... don't think I can say what my "click" is (or if I've got it) but I'd be happy to be MFP friends and keep an eye on each other! Feel free to add me. I'm 5'4 30 F 185 lbs goal weight 140 (aka my drivers license weight).
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    The "click" came in stages for me. I've been overweight all my life. The first click was finding out that I could actually lose a substantial amount of weight. Before then I figured I was just meant to be fat and feel horrible about it. I found out I could lose weight fast (and gain it back fast) at a parttime job lifting all kinds of heavy boxes from one place to the other.

After that I bought an elliptical machine and started working out seriously and eating less. This wasn't really working however, even though I worked hard on working out, because I didn't know what I was doing foodwise. I would be starving and then eating too much, etc, and nothing really seemed to be happening, which was really demotivating. I also didn't have a scale so I couldn't see if I was making progress.

A stressful time started and exercise went to the background again and I gradually gained more weight. However, I did figure out that what wasn't working for me is that I didn't have control over this process - I didn't know what I weighed, I couldn't track any progress, and I didn't know what and how much I should be eating to lose weight, and I didn;t know what kind of weight loss I should be expecting anyway. So I did some research and got interested in counting calories. In the course of the next few years I first bought a digital scale which saves progress. Inside I eventually vowed to myself that when I got a smartphone I'd get some kind of calorie counting app and start counting.

When I was at my highest weight (90 kg) and at the lowest point in my mental and physical health it was finally time for a new phone when my mobile phone subscription had run out. The day I got my phone I installed a couple of calorie counting apps. I liked mfp best. I invested in making a plan with mfp that day, and adjusted throughout the monts using the common sense advice on here, kept going. It's now about 2.5 years later and the weight is still off (currently working to lose a bit more fat).

Sometimes I feel I can't fathom why this time I just "did it" when I got the phone. But really this was the result of years of mental preparation - first knowing it was possible for me, then taking the effort of collecting GOOD information (not random fad diets) and learning that I could take control of this, and being tired of feeling like crap.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Somebody took a picture of me that is my "BEFORE".
    I saw that, and something inside clicked...
    ckju19j7wcr2.jpg
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    I told myself "I ain't wearing no damn granny underware" Thats what did it for me.

threw out my Bridget Jones panties.... lol
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, size 16 scared me -- at 5'2.5" I was way too heavy. I'd just kept gaining weight then losing, then gaining again. Size 16 and looming health issues were the impetus for me to get my bum in gear.

That was almost 2 years ago. and I'm down 49lbs and at a healthy BMI and weight for 6 months now. Yay, MFP. I'm now a size 4/6 petite (US).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I read an article about a professional athlete who had a thyroidectomy and came back to the game stronger than ever. I realized I used my condition as an excuse and stopped making excuses.

What really got it to click was accepting a role as Den Leader with my son's Tiger Scout Den. I wanted to set a good example for the boys (and my own children) and made a change that day.
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    At the beginning of 2013 a medical issue did it for me. It lead to losing my medical insurance so I felt that I could only get better by eating healthy. I went vegan the 1st 5 months and lost most of the 50 pounds I'm down now but better yet, I was quickly off the new meds I was given and the meds I was on for 30+ years and I FEEL better too. It was about health for me.
  • Nightnurse33
    Nightnurse33 Posts: 30 Member

When I went to meet my "New" doctor she opened the door looked around and then at me and back around at the empty room. She looked at the chart in her hand and said are YOU "TED"? I said yup and went in to meet her. She said sorry I was looking for a pt about 70 years old, You have A Lot of meds for your age. She said she would not refill my medication except for a 12 week supply because she wanted me to either lose the weight or go for a weight loss surgery. I am not going to be cut on so here I am now. 6 weeks in and 22 pounds lost! it so easy with My fitness pal. Just works for me. 55 more pounds to go!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!