Defeated after hurting my knee

Options
i have been doing really well for the past 2 1/2 months. I started Couch to 5K last week, and even in just the first week, from Day 1 to Day 3, I saw a great increase in my stamina running and was really excited. But Saturday, after Day 3, I noticed my knee was bothering me. I iced it and rested it, but I did the elliptical last night and it is sore again. I know I can't start Week 2 tonight, and I feel really unmotivated because of this injury. :(

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    well running is nice but there are plenty of other cardio exercises
    swimming, flow yoga, maybe pilates

also, you just might need more rest. injuries happen
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This happened to me shortly into my C25K program. I was really motivated and then hurt my knee somehow. The best thing for me was to just take a rest from running for a week until it felt 100% better. Once I started up again, I was very surprised that I was able to take off from where I had left without regressing any.
  • SteffieSunshine
    SteffieSunshine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    This happened to me shortly into my C25K program. I was really motivated and then hurt my knee somehow. The best thing for me was to just take a rest from running for a week until it felt 100% better. Once I started up again, I was very surprised that I was able to take off from where I had left without regressing any.

That gives me hope! Thanks! I actually enjoyed training to run. It gave me a great sense of accomplishment on something I thought I would never be able to do. I do other forms of cardio as well, but just the fact that I know have to rest and "take it easy" sucks. I feel like I'll lose all motivation and give up.
  • dlgallian
    dlgallian Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing - running is actually really hard on your body, especially if you're carrying extra weight. I've done C25K in the past and I ended up over stressing my shins and had to stop for a long time. If you can, and if this issue doesn't go away after a little bit of time letting your body adjust to the new activity, find someone who can analyze your gait (physical therapists can do this, maybe a good running store) and tell you what you're doing wrong that's making your knee tweak. The proper mechanics of running are super critical to avoid injuring yourself, because it's a lot of muscles and joints all trying to work in tandem, and if something is weak or underdeveloped (which is almost always the case when you're first starting out), other stuff will compensate and you can end up injuring yourself.

Other tips - go super slow at first, don't try to do more than the program tells you to, and if anything hurts that's not just fatigue of a big muscle and lasts for more than one or two sessions, stop doing it before it gets any worse. Also be prepared to learn a lot more about your muscles and joints, and to do exercises that help you build specific strength and proper form. I've been in physical therapy for several month for an ankle injury/surgery and basically running is the last thing they will let me do, because of all of these considerations.

And good luck!
  • runemist34
    runemist34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I've been running about a year now, but because of various challenges, haven't gotten past running about 5k. I just recently had a knee injury as well! I know how horribly disheartening it can be to feel useless, injured, sad... And to have that big endorphin drop from not running anymore!
    The way I've been dealing with it is by dialing back my running amount, to twice a week, and dropping down to 3k each time, with lots of walking. I feel like I'm re-training from the beginning all over again!
    However, I also started a 30 day yoga challenge that got me up and moving, and really improved my mood!
    I have no current access to pools, elliptical machines, or a bike, so I can't really cross-train at the moment ;)
    Feel better, find what works for you!
    Also, have you checked out tips on cadence and proper running form? Definitely helpful!!