What is healthy weight loss for me?

Options
What do y'all consider healthy weight loss? I'm at about .5-1 lb a week. I'm 40lbs overweight, so should I be pushing myself more?

Some background: I have only made the gym about 3x a week, boxing class namely. Also, I'm set at 1200 and average about 1275 calories according to my diary, which I'm very dedicated to. I am pretty close to macros, but I lean heavier on fat vs. carbs. (Should be 40/30/30 p/c/f, but I'm more like 40/35/25). So I realize there is room for improvement.

I want to make sure I'm not wishful thinking or that I'm slacking when I could go harder! Should I be okay with this weight loss? Or am I really not trying hard enough? I hear about people who lose 2-3 lbs a week, but is that possible for me too? Or am i being unrealistic?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Many people say .5 pounds for every 25 pounds you're overweight, so that range is good. Make sure you log everything accurately and you'll lose.
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Whoops! I mean 35 on my fat, 25 on my carbs*
  • yasminara
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is fantastic.
  • yasminara
    Options
    Okay thank you! I'm probably being impatient I just wanted to check. Everyone online says you should be losing 2-3 a week, so I thought maybe I was slacking
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    At only 40 lbs overweight, I'd say that's a pretty good rate. Especially since your calories are already on the low side - you don't want to cause yourself new health issues while losing weight! At this rate you'd be at your goal weight in about a year, which is pretty impressive.
  • yasminara
    Options
    Awesome thank you! Good point I don't want to end up starving myself or causing ulcers, ibs, etc.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    yasminara wrote: »
    Also, I'm set at 1200 and average about 1275 calories according to my diary, which I'm very dedicated to.....

Is 1200 what MFP suggested based on your goals or did you pick 1200?

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    yasminara wrote: »
    Okay thank you! I'm probably being impatient I just wanted to check. Everyone online says you should be losing 2-3 a week, so I thought maybe I was slacking
    No, stick to one pound per week.
    Don't get in a race with Mother Nature.
    Fast weight loss from a crash diet usually comes right back. Stay away from that herd.

• yasminara
    Options
    1200 was MFP picked! I didn't really have a goal other than to balance my macro intake and have some kind of deficit!

Yall are right, I'll be patient and let my body slowly let the weight go