3 1/2 weeks before the beach! Workout help needed!

Options
I am making an spur of the moment kind of trip to Florida in about 3 1/2 weeks.

I was wondering what type of workout program I should do in this time to help make myself look and feel better. I know I have a lot of work and do not expect to look perfect in this short amount of time, I just want to look a little bit better than I am now.

Also, I am eating clean - no processed foods. I have that part down, I just want to know what workouts will get the better results!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    The reverse fork curl will get the best results. Assuming food is nailed down.

Lift some weights, run some, bike a little. Just move more. You aren't going to get much change in 3.5 weeks, so play at it. Just play hard, very hard. Hurting the next day hard.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First = eating "clean" does not necessarily = losing fat. It goes a long way to help, but you can still overeat "clean" foods. Definitely track your calories and create a deficit.

For working out, I'd suggest starting a solid, basic full body lifting program, doing it 2-3 times a week, the big, compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench and bent over rows. Do 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps at a weight that fatigues your muscles. If you get all three sets for 10 reps, up the weights. There's tons of more detailed programs out there if you look. Do some cardio 2-3 times a week. Find something you love. You can do a few sessions of interval training on the elliptical or treadmill or take a spinning or Zumba class or find a kickboxing video or just go for a run. Consistency is key, and consistency tends to come from find a workout you don't hate.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Get a spray tan right before you go. It makes you look leaner and more toned. It's possible to go from fit to fighting shape in that amount of time, but I'm not sure if it's possible to make a noticeable difference if you're not already very fit.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The reverse fork curl will get the best results. Assuming food is nailed down.

Haha, that. Eating fewer calories will get you there the fastest.

Yeah, 3 1/2 weeks is a very short time. You can get started, but getting to where you want to be is going to be a journey and a lifestyle.

You could aim for a couple pounds lost a week with a good deficit, which is pretty fast. Don't go too low on calories, get lots of protein, lift hard, wear yourself out in the gym a few days a week.
  • littlemoonlight69
    littlemoonlight69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to work your core. You should be able to search online to find lots of different things to do and not everything has to be from a position on the ground.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You should do what ever workout program that you would have started 5 months ago. Yes you can make progress in less than a month. You aren't going to transform your body in a month. You didn't put the weight on in a month your not going to take it off. Having said that don't give up. Take the next month to set up good habits that will make some progress but will setup for long term success.

Log every thing that goes in your mouth. Set a reasonable calorie deficit and stick to it. Do not starve yourself, you may be able to lose a couple extra pounds that way but you'll stall quickly and that will make continued progress more difficult.

Find a exercise routine that you like and that you'll keep doing and then do it. Fuel your workouts with food, eat at least some of your exercise calories back. Lots of exercise with out eating enough is the same as not eating enough with out exercise. You will make small short term gains but will pay for it in the long term.
  • vicky_b329
    vicky_b329 Posts: 24
    Options
    HIIT (High intensity interval training) is some of the best stuff you can do for your body. Treadmill or elliptical or bike, going as hard as you can for a minute, then walking or resting for 1 minute. Repeat for 20 minutes. If you're not up to a 1:1 ratio, then do 1:2 work to rest ratio (45 seconds of sprinting and 90 of walking/resting). It burns a lot of calories, ups your EPOC (excess postexercise oxygen consumption), which means you keep burning calories for 24 hours after your workout (maybe 100-200 more over the course of a day, depending on your weight). And clinical studies show it burns significantly more fat than steady state cardio.

Also lifting (heavy weights lower reps) or kickboxing would be amazing. If there's not a studio near you, I saw Jillian Michael's kickbox cardio on youtube the other day.

Good luck. Manage expectations.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions... i have a workout already planned for my lunch break and some more later this evening!

I guess I should have said:

"I know I can't make much of a visual difference, I just want to feel better about myself. I need some good butt busting workouts to get me there!"
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions... i have a workout already planned for my lunch break and some more later this evening!

I guess I should have said:

"I know I can't make much of a visual difference, I just want to feel better about myself. I need some good butt busting workouts to get me there!"

Oh! For butt busting workouts, do some kind of high intensity interval training with sprints, burpees, and high knees. You'll feel like a total badass when you're busting that stuff out like it's cake in 3 weeks. Do some pushups too. If you can't do them now, you'll be able to bust out a good number of pushups in 3 weeks also.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you want butt busting workouts, check out The befit in 90 program on the BeFit Channel on YouTube. They also have a more advanced one and butt and abs programs. Some good stuff there. I've also seen, but never personally done, some fitnessblender.com workouts, and they look brutal.