Ketogenic Diet anyone?

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Is . . . is that website for real? Am I really supposed to take their health and wellness advice seriously when they think vaccinations are "medical fascism"?

My god, I posted the first link I saw on google of an article I well know that explains it in layman's terms, which was originally published elsewhere. It this better for you pumpkin?

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/20/6/1536.fullp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16470012

There are plenty of other qualified medical professionals who've spoken out on this. I'm just trying to share the information. But it's fine if you want to turn a blind eye, go ahead.. and enjoy your statins.

I'm in great health, "pumpkin" -- I'm not sure why you would assume you know anything about my health or how I eat based on my reaction to that website and their articles about vaccinations, 9/11, and JFK.

Oh geez. I didn't even click the link so didn't see that. Sale on tin foil hats, isle 5.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No need for the name calling.

I was responding to her snarky and sarcastic response with the same.

Anyhow, the information is out there, it's everywhere, from many reliable sources. It's not considered mainstream yet, and if you're not open-minded about it fine...but we're in the midst of a paradigm shift and in the next ?? years we will all be looking back puzzled at how they got it so wrong before.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Anyhow, the information is out there, it's everywhere, from many reliable sources. It's not considered mainstream yet, and if you're not open-minded about it fine...but we're in the midst of a paradigm shift and in the next ?? years we will all be looking back puzzled at how they got it so wrong before.

I wasn't going for snark or sarcasm at all. I was shocked to see the website you posted. When I asked if you expected us to take it seriously, it was a 100% legitimate question. My negative comments were about the website -- not you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Is . . . is that website for real? Am I really supposed to take their health and wellness advice seriously when they think vaccinations are "medical fascism"?

My god, I posted the first link I saw on google of an article I well know that explains it in layman's terms, which was originally published elsewhere. It this better for you pumpkin?

There are plenty of other qualified medical professionals who've spoken out on this. I'm just trying to share the information. But it's fine if you want to turn a blind eye, go ahead.. and enjoy your statins.

I'm in great health, "pumpkin" -- I'm not sure why you would assume you know anything about my health or how I eat based on my reaction to that website and their articles about vaccinations, 9/11, and JFK.

Oh geez. I didn't even click the link so didn't see that. Sale on tin foil hats, isle 5.

Apparently my embrace of "medical fascism" will guarantee that I'll wind up on statins, regardless of what I eat or what I do.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Apparently my embrace of "medical fascism" will guarantee that I'll wind up on statins, regardless of what I eat or what I do.

Perhaps I'm wrong in assuming that because you have not considered the information I'm sharing (which is clearly against the current mainstream belief and recommendations), you don't agree with it and therefore believe in and subscribe to the misguided recommendations currently accepted... which there's a good chance will end up making you one of the statistics they mention.

I honestly don't know why I waste my time in these forums, when people like you two are clearly more interested in discussing the semantics of a debate than the actual information being shared or discussed. Since acknowledging my "mistake" of quickly posting an article the source of which was reproduced by a website you were quick to write off, I've posted three other credible and legitimate medical studies and sources to support the same information. You have yet to acknowledge those. Your loss I suppose. There's tons more out there where those came from, and I'm well-intentioned in sharing, but I'm done with this topic and your poor attitudes.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What I wonder about the keto diet, going by the scant knowledge I have and looking at one person's diary who say they're keto, is that they have virtually no fruit or veg. I know they are carbs so are limited but if that's the case, where are your micronutrients coming from? Even when I eat a boatload of plants I can still miss some of those targets (I'm not hung up on them). Is that going to have any long term impact potentially wiping out any and all other supposed benefits?
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There's a low carber group on here that many people are a part of, many keto-ers there if you are after support/advice.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • elphie754
    Options

Perhaps I'm wrong in assuming that because you have not considered the information I'm sharing (which is clearly against the current mainstream belief and recommendations), you don't agree with it and therefore believe in and subscribe to the misguided recommendations currently accepted... which there's a good chance will end up making you one of the statistics they mention.

I honestly don't know why I waste my time in these forums, when people like you two are clearly more interested in discussing the semantics of a debate than the actual information being shared or discussed. Since acknowledging my "mistake" of quickly posting an article the source of which was reproduced by a website you were quick to write off, I've posted three other credible and legitimate medical studies and sources to support the same information. You have yet to acknowledge those. Your loss I suppose. There's tons more out there where those came from, and I'm well-intentioned in sharing, but I'm done with this topic and your poor attitudes.

Oh please. Weber heard this song and seen this dance way too many times here. So basically you are saying you are right, we are all wrong, why can't be open minded and convert to your ideas? Seems kind of ironic, doesn't it?

I can scream 24-7 about earth being the 4th planet from the sun and I'm sure I could find studies that support that ridiculous claim, but that doesn't make it true.

There was also science that was very wrong (such as plaque build up is just inflammation) which makes people skeptical of anything else being said.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What I wonder about the keto diet, going by the scant knowledge I have and looking at one person's diary who say they're keto, is that they have virtually no fruit or veg. I know they are carbs so are limited but if that's the case, where are your micronutrients coming from? Even when I eat a boatload of plants I can still miss some of those targets (I'm not hung up on them). Is that going to have any long term impact potentially wiping out any and all other supposed benefits?

It is possible to get all your nutrients from a variety of meats.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    Ive been doing keto for several months now and dropped around 35 lbs. Keto is supposed to reverse type 2 diabetes, alzheimers and help prevent some cancers, as well as CHD, so no worries there. My cholesterol is elevated on it due to all of the bacon im eating. Only way for me to get the 5000mg sodium recommended without drinking beef/chicken broth everyday. Im not terribly worried about the increase in cholesterol because I will not stay on keto forever, but it has been very effective in weight loss

Care to explain how a specific diet can reverse a disease that is caused by the decreased fiction and death of neurons in the brain? That's absurd. Alzheimers is a chronic, progressively worsening condition.

Have you heard Alzheimer's called 'Diabetes Type 3'? The new studies being published are very interesting.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Plaque build up is not inflammation.

Yes it is. Just watch, in 10-20 years, carbs and processed foods will be completely vilified.

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease

Wow

Yeah, this was my exact reaction. Extremely uncalled for.
  • tcoun
    tcoun Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Keto since March of this year and I've lost 60lbs
  • brook0530
    brook0530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started! Would love to be friends!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with not worrying about dietary cholesterol. Researchers have found that cholesterol is not related to dietary cholesterol, nor is the heart health risk a strong correlation to cholesterol levels anyways.

Do try the Low Carber Daily and reddit Keto groups. There is a lot of support over there. Discussions on eating a ketogenic diet often go off the rails on the main boards.

Good luck with it. I've been keto for about 6 weeks and I am feeling better everyday. :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Ive been doing keto for several months now and dropped around 35 lbs. Keto is supposed to reverse type 2 diabetes, alzheimers and help prevent some cancers, as well as CHD, so no worries there. My cholesterol is elevated on it due to all of the bacon im eating. Only way for me to get the 5000mg sodium recommended without drinking beef/chicken broth everyday. Im not terribly worried about the increase in cholesterol because I will not stay on keto forever, but it has been very effective in weight loss

Care to explain how a specific diet can reverse a disease that is caused by the decreased fiction and death of neurons in the brain? That's absurd. Alzheimers is a chronic, progressively worsening condition.

Have you heard Alzheimer's called 'Diabetes Type 3'? The new studies being published are very interesting.

I really hope that is a joke.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Agreed. It is still funny to me, though, how low carb diets are still considered "fad" by the masses, even though it has 100 years or so of scientific study behind it. They just see what is on the tabloid covers. Anyone remember why the Mayo Clinic was created? Hmm...

I love fat. Fat is delicious, extremely healthy, and 70% of everything I eat, mostly saturated. It is nice to go 12...no 13 now...waking hours without eating a thing. Not many people can say that. 13 hours fasted, and I am about to bicycle another 6 miles home to go get my food (I live hunter-gatherer style). It is quite awesome to be in such control of my hunger.

Sure, I may not eat this way forever. But I will probably keep a checks and balances system going with food. Honestly, the number one benefit that I see with my body is the fact that I dont fart anymore. I just am not gassy anymore like I was when I eat a bunch of fruits and veggies, sugary stuff, bread etc. I have been the gassy one all my life. Now....I am not. My social life is better, my workouts are stronger, heck, even the sex is better. That alone makes it all worth it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I just Googled it and the THEORY is that ketones can be used more easily for energy in the brain, reducing the stress on brain cells. However, evidence in support of this theory is very scant.

I'm confident the evidence will never be found. If there were an advantage to running on ketones, evolutionary pressures would have pushed us all that way, a long time ago.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What I wonder about the keto diet, going by the scant knowledge I have and looking at one person's diary who say they're keto, is that they have virtually no fruit or veg. I know they are carbs so are limited but if that's the case, where are your micronutrients coming from?

Which ones concern you ? Atkins induction recommends 12-15 grams of carbohydrate (net carbs for Americans) per day which can be a pound a day of vegetables.