Who can help a 50 year old women lose pounds?

Are u my my age and can't get the pounds off? I've lost inches and gained muscle is my problem drinking coke (the fake sugars) and a glass of wine with a meal? Help me please, I gotta and wanna lose pounds.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If by "fake sugars," you mean is diet soda making you gain weight or prevent weight loss, no. It can't. It doesn't have calories.

Are you logging the glass of wine with your meal? As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight whether you are having a glass of wine or not.

If you're losing inches, you're making progress. Maybe focusing more on how you look and feel and less on a number on scale may help you. How long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • Deborah1229
    Deborah1229 Posts: 8 Member
    Hello Matzie - I'm your age and trying to lose weight too! I don't drink soda, I've stopped eating carbs and I exercise 5 days a week. The pounds are coming off - slow, slow process.
    I am Deborah1229 on MFP if you want to friend me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hello Matzie - I'm almost your age but am losing 1 pound per week by eating less and exercising more. I gave up wine because I felt like I couldn't afford those empty calories in my calorie budget.

Studies have shown that artificial sugars can make some people crave sugar, so if this is true for you and you are going over your calorie budget because of this, might want to cut back on the Diet Coke.

But if by "fake sugars" you meant the HFCS in regular Coke, if those empty calories are making you go over your calorie budget, that's a reason to reduce as well.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Hi, I am 53 years old and have lost 43 pounds since March 8, 2015. I started my journey because of a pre-diabetes diagnosis. I limit my carbs, increased my protein and fiber and saw good losses. The losses became most consistent after my start with MFP in May. Not because MFP is magic, but because it is a great tool for counting calories and tracking nutrition. I added a Fitbit to measure activity in July. I use a digital scale to measure my food and choose the most accurate entry for recording it in MFP. The CI-CO=weight change formula works very accurately for me. BTW I gave up Pepsi the day I started the diet. I occasionally have a diet soda, Crystal Light or Sweet leaf in chamomile tea. My blood sugars are back in the normal range.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Wow @daniwilford, that's awesome! I feel like a slacker now, lol.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Your age shouldn't make much difference at all.

Stop consuming too many calories and stop drinking your calories. Start tracking everything and start moving.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    With the exception of newbie gains, one doesn't "gain muscle" in a deficit. If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.
  • daniwilford
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Wow @daniwilford, that's awesome! I feel like a slacker now, lol.
    In five more pounds, I will be taking it much slower. How many times have you heard slow and steady wins the race.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    oh I LOVE MY WINE!!, winos,, ADD ME!!!, only if you are fun!!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've hit menopause and have thyroid issues and still lose weight. I lose slowly, but I lose! We aren't far apart in age, but as my friends cross over the Big, Old Line, I am still clinging to the whole "I'm not 50!" thing, lol. (It works for me.)

I exercise at least twice a day, mostly walking and swimming. I watch my calories like a hawk. Everything gets weighed and logged except spice (sometimes) and garlic, which I do by the clove. I count big cloves and little cloves the same, so it evens out. When I found out sugarless gum had calories, I began logging it. I log pills. Everything!

I know you Wine People love your wine. I don't know why, but I have been told. You can still have some, just log it. :)

You can do this. You aren't too old to lose. :)
  • thetruekim47
    thetruekim47 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm in the same boat. I've lost 35 pounds in 3 years. That's it. So now going to cut the carbs and calories b
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    I am 50 and lost 101 pounds in 9 months
    So no problem
    Eat everything only i eat less calories than i burn. And to achieve that i weigh every solid food on a food scale and log it here on MFP

Because of a high BP i dont add salt to my food :)
    But i didn't give up anything
    Just ate a my own made pizza lol....

btw you dont gain muscle in a deficit..(except for newbie gains)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Just to back up whats said above. Its highly unlikely youve gained muscle on a deficit and diet coke wont make you put on weight.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    It is great that you have started losing weight pre menopause.

Menopause doesn't have to make it harder to drop the weight, but it does impact your bones and muscles.

Loss of both start to increase, so as well as keeping to your MFP calorie goal, eat whatever you like to reach your goal, include your wine when it fits ( I do), do try, within the above, to nourish your body. It really needs to be cared for.

Weigh and measure everything you eat and drink.

Drink plenty of water too.

Exercise is an excellent way to retain both muscle and bone mass. Especially resistance work; progressive weight lifting is good, as is body weight resistance work.

To keep your cardiovascular system healthy, walking with purpose, jogging, running, treadmills, and anything else you like that raises your heart rate is good ( I like, aqua fit, belly dancing, and Zumba as well as walking).

Cheers, h.
  • Matzie wrote: »
    Are u my my age and can't get the pounds off? I've lost inches and gained muscle is my problem drinking coke (the fake sugars) and a glass of wine with a meal? Help me please, I gotta and wanna lose pounds.
    Diet soda is horrible for your body..any artificial sweeteners in my opinion just not good. Here is a look at what it does to your body. http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html I would advise you to see if you are eating within your dietary needs and getting enough exercise. Put your info into MFP and it should tell you how much to eat to lose 0.5+ lbs a week. A glass of wine is okay..a bottle not so much. Stop drinking diet soda's and using artificial sweeteners, your body will thank you.

• daniwilford
    The adverse affect of artificial sweeteners has been repeatedly debunked. It is my opinion that the wine is a worse choice for achieving weigh loss then the diet soda, but that is an OPINION and not a scientifically proven fact.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    I'm 51, and I have lost 65 pounds since January. I try to workout 5 to 7 days a week. Usually it is only 30 to 45 minutes using Darebee.com, or just making up my own body weight routines. Initially, I worked with a personal trainer for couple of months, so I learned a lot about how to exercise properly. Lately, I have been putting in more minutes because I am doing a the Hogwarts and Game of Thrones Challenges here on mfp. I think the most important factor for me in losing is pre-logging my food consistently and staying under my calories. Age really hasn't been an issue. The weight has been and issue, but not age. Good luck. The odds are definitely on your side:-)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Thanks everyone who shared. Inspiring.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    ♥xenawarriorprincess♥ Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2015
    The adverse affect of artificial sweeteners has been repeatedly debunked. It is my opinion that the wine is a worse choice for achieving weigh loss then the diet soda, but that is an OPINION and not a scientifically proven fact.

I would just caution the use of artificial sweeteners. They are very confusing to our bodies. I would say artificial sweeteners or flavors are not good for our bodies as they work much more efficiently when given natural whole unprocessed foods. Yes there are a wide variety of opinions of whether artificial sweeteners are safe or not but I definitely don't put too much stock in what the FDA deems safe anymore, or certain websites for that matter. I research and try to eat as much unprocessed whole foods as I can. Wine is completely fine to drink in moderation and of course the opinions on that are varied as well. Its all about eating as close to nature as you can and researching to see if what you are consuming is good and or safe for your body. Happy eating!

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member

I would just caution the use of artificial sweeteners. They are very confusing to our bodies. I would say artificial sweeteners or flavors are not good for our bodies as they work much more efficiently when given natural whole unprocessed foods. Yes there are a wide variety of opinions of whether artificial sweeteners are safe or not but I definitely don't put too much stock in what the FDA deems safe anymore, or certain websites for that matter. I research and try to eat as much unprocessed whole foods as I can. Wine is completely fine to drink in moderation and of course the opinions on that are varied as well. Its all about eating as close to nature as you can and researching to see if what you are consuming is good and or safe for your body. Happy eating!

please dont turn this is a thread about good or bad foods
    OP just asked to how we lose weight