Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome

Options
2»

Replies

• Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OK, so LeanButNotM, how do you suggest I get better? I have major menopause issues, which include, zero energy. When I go to ride my bike I get dizzy, heart starts to flutter and I have to stop, then I throw up. I have tried everything for the past two years to get help with all these issues.

Naturopath seems to have gotten to the bottom of my issues and "adrenal failure" seems to make sense, because when I start to over-exert I get sick.

What does everyone on here suggest I do if my doctor and naturopath are quacks?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    OK, so LeanButNotM, how do you suggest I get better? I have major menopause issues, which include, zero energy. When I go to ride my bike I get dizzy, heart starts to flutter and I have to stop, then I throw up. I have tried everything for the past two years to get help with all these issues.

Naturopath seems to have gotten to the bottom of my issues and "adrenal failure" seems to make sense, because when I start to over-exert I get sick.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on MFP (despite what you may think). ;)

How is your nutrition? Are you eating enough (not sure if you are here to lose weight, just to track calories/macros, or what)? Are you hydrated? Are you sleeping well?

Although I am not (yet) menopausal, I understand that some of the symptoms (hot flashes/night sweats) can cause disruptive sleep.

If you would prefer not to divulge this information on a public forum, please feel free to send me a PM. As I mentioned, I have friends who have spent a FORTUNE on naturopaths and regret doing so. It seems that their MO is to diagnose a patient with some made-up condition, project optimism that whatever vitamins/herbs they sell will fix everything, and then pump a person full of crap that doesn't do anything to help.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Naturopathic Physicians (the other NP) get a bad reputation largely due to the lack of standardization in training. The doc who overran our gross anatomy lab was a naturopathic physician - his schooling took him through the full allopathic and osteopathic, in addition to his naturopathic curriculum. While one of most brilliant physicians, the lack of standardization in licensing prohibited him from any direct treatment and he was only able to consult and teach.

The problem with the development of new syndromes before there is scientific proof is that diagnosis of such broad spectrum issues such as adrenal fatigue syndrome does not drill deep enough into the root cause and only treat the symptoms, thereby allowing the root cause to persist and possibly worsen.
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the term "WooWoo". Must attempt to use this in conversation in the near future...

In all seriousness though, I have read about adrenal fatigue in the past and can see how one can be completely worn down after a long period of stress/illness/etc. But, I can't really say if I believe it is a medical condition as opposed to something that just naturally happens when dealing with "stuff". When we are stressed, we aren't taking care of ourselves. When we have demanding jobs, we aren't taking care of ourselves. When we have too much on our minds, we cannot sleep. It just seems to be common knowledge.

I'm 100% on board with the fact you probably feel run down, and I'm certain that taking care of yourself will help tremendously! Start by eating healthy, exercising, taking time to do things you love, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback, suggestions and doctor bashing lol. That was not my question, but funny how quickly everyone gets on their high-horse. lol

In answer to my original question, I guess no one here is suffering from menopause symptoms and adrenal fatigue like me.

I will still take the advice of my Doctor, Endocrinologist and Naturopath, thanks anyways.
    Yes, lots of women here are in and around menopause (I'm peri) and I believe there's a menopause group. Perhaps someone will come along and post a link to it.
    Naturopathy is a very great source of information and good, clean eating and supplements. Pretty much what we are all looking for on MFP, isn't it?
    But as in all things in life, to each his own. No need to be insulting.
    And yes, Cherimoose, I can see that now.... no worries, I have thick skin.
    Here on the main forums the focus is on CICO rather than clean eating. Here's a link to the clean eating group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Any other suffers out there, put your hands up!
    Just found out that is my issue so totally changing my diet.
    I have been on a total roll the past few months, tracking, eating healthy, but apparently all the wrong things.
    I need to totally cut out all sugar, fruit, dairy.
    Struggling to come up with a good plan for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are okay. Just a protein and veggies.

How about eggs or the same thing you would have for lunch or dinner?

• Stressedby8
    Options

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on MFP (despite what you may think). ;)

How is your nutrition? Are you eating enough (not sure if you are here to lose weight, just to track calories/macros, or what)? Are you hydrated? Are you sleeping well?

Although I am not (yet) menopausal, I understand that some of the symptoms (hot flashes/night sweats) can cause disruptive sleep.

If you would prefer not to divulge this information on a public forum, please feel free to send me a PM. As I mentioned, I have friends who have spent a FORTUNE on naturopaths and regret doing so. It seems that their MO is to diagnose a patient with some made-up condition, project optimism that whatever vitamins/herbs they sell will fix everything, and then pump a person full of crap that doesn't do anything to help.

[/quote]

Thanks for asking, my nutrition was not good three months ago when I joing MFP. I have lost 12 lbs by following Weight Watchers and logging on every day with MFP. I was eating pretty healthy with a few added snacks and wine! I drink at least 3 litres of water a day.

I was going along thinking that I was taking good care of myself nutritionally and exercise wise. But my body was failing me.

I have been in menopause for 2 years. Hot flashes, not sleeping at night. Another part of adrenal stress is no sleep because apparently they regenerate at night time.

I also have all the stress of a large family and working in a family business.

I will check out the menopause group, good idea.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, lots of women here are in and around menopause (I'm peri) and I believe there's a menopause group. Perhaps someone will come along and post a link to it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
    I have been on a total roll the past few months, tracking, eating healthy, but apparently all the wrong things.
    I need to totally cut out all sugar, fruit, dairy.
    Struggling to come up with a good plan for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are okay. Just a protein and veggies.

Neither menopause nor "adrenal fatigue" changes the fact that you lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Thanks for asking, my nutrition was not good three months ago when I joing MFP. I have lost 12 lbs by following Weight Watchers and logging on every day with MFP. I was eating pretty healthy with a few added snacks and wine! I drink at least 3 litres of water a day.

I was going along thinking that I was taking good care of myself nutritionally and exercise wise. But my body was failing me.

I have been in menopause for 2 years. Hot flashes, not sleeping at night. Another part of adrenal stress is no sleep because apparently they regenerate at night time.

I also have all the stress of a large family and working in a family business.

I will check out the menopause group, good idea.

Poor nutrition, poor sleep, stress, menopause symptoms - these are your issues, not some trumped up diagnosis from a naturopath. It is not surprising (to me, anyway) that you did not feel well while exercising.

Have you tried yoga or meditation/breathing exercises?

I think working in a family business alone would cause me more stress than I would know how to handle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    "While adrenal fatigue may not exist, this doesn’t mean the symptoms people experience aren’t real. These same symptoms could be caused by true medical conditions such as sleep apnea, adrenal insufficiency, or depression"

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fatigued-by-a-fake-disease/

"branded “adrenal fatigue,” an invented condition that’s widely embraced as real among alternative health providers. There’s no evidence that adrenal fatigue actually exists. The public education arm of the Endocrine Society, representing 14,000 endocrinologists, recently issued the following advisory:

“Adrenal fatigue” is not a real medical condition. There are no scientific facts to support the theory that long-term mental, emotional, or physical stress drains the adrenal glands and causes many common symptoms."

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/press-release-archives/2010/new-fact-sheets-dispel-myths-of-adrenal-fatigue

Myth vs. Fact: Adrenal Fatigue describes the theory behind this supposed disorder in which long-term mental, emotional or physical stress outstrips the adrenal glands’ ability to produce enough hormones. The fact sheet refutes this theory and warns against taking potentially harmful supplements designed to “treat” adrenal fatigue. It also differentiates adrenal fatigue from adrenal insufficiency, a real and rare condition in which the adrenal cortex does not produce enough steroid hormones. Adrenal insufficiency is not caused by mental or physical stress.
    A fact sheet on adrenal insufficiency can be found online at: www.hormone.org/Resources/upload/adrenal-insufficiency-bilingual-081810.pdf .

http://www.hormone.org/hormones-and-health/myth-vs-fact/adrenal-fatigue
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    "While adrenal fatigue may not exist, this doesn’t mean the symptoms people experience aren’t real. These same symptoms could be caused by true medical conditions such as sleep apnea, adrenal insufficiency, or depression"

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fatigued-by-a-fake-disease/

"branded “adrenal fatigue,” an invented condition that’s widely embraced as real among alternative health providers. There’s no evidence that adrenal fatigue actually exists. The public education arm of the Endocrine Society, representing 14,000 endocrinologists, recently issued the following advisory:

“Adrenal fatigue” is not a real medical condition. There are no scientific facts to support the theory that long-term mental, emotional, or physical stress drains the adrenal glands and causes many common symptoms."

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/press-release-archives/2010/new-fact-sheets-dispel-myths-of-adrenal-fatigue

Myth vs. Fact: Adrenal Fatigue describes the theory behind this supposed disorder in which long-term mental, emotional or physical stress outstrips the adrenal glands’ ability to produce enough hormones. The fact sheet refutes this theory and warns against taking potentially harmful supplements designed to “treat” adrenal fatigue. It also differentiates adrenal fatigue from adrenal insufficiency, a real and rare condition in which the adrenal cortex does not produce enough steroid hormones. Adrenal insufficiency is not caused by mental or physical stress.
    A fact sheet on adrenal insufficiency can be found online at: www.hormone.org/Resources/upload/adrenal-insufficiency-bilingual-081810.pdf .

http://www.hormone.org/hormones-and-health/myth-vs-fact/adrenal-fatigue

Nicely done
  • Stressedby8
    Options
    Thank you Rabbitjb. I read all your links and I appreciate your research. Will definately be researching further!!
  • Shortyburb
    Shortyburb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I didnt end up reading many comments after I saw so many "no scientific proof". To all of you who say there is no proof you have NO IDEA what we go through with AF. Did you know there are MANY people in the medical community who dont believe Lymes disease or fibromyalgia exists? Every single doctor in this world is a human being, which means there are fantastic ones, good ones, bad ones, and just plain horrible ones. There are plenty out there that think they have a god complex, and there are plenty out there who are amazing and kind. I am seeking a degree in Human Performance with a minor in nutrition. I have WAY more knowledge about food than ANY doctor and most are wrong about nutrition I would say at least 80% of the time. Meaning doctors dont know everything. And the worst doctor you can ever go to is one who is unwilling to be wrong or learn more.

To the OP why are you cutting sugar completely? Have you done a fasting glucose test? My suggestion for breakfasts would be carbs and protein. Have you thought about or done protein shakes before? I have a hard time eating in the mornings but shakes have always been helpful.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Shortyburb wrote: »
    I didnt end up reading many comments after I saw so many "no scientific proof".
    Then you missed an opportunity to learn something.
  • Shortyburb
    Shortyburb Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I learned enough to know that you are all ignorant and don't have hormone issues like those with AF.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

No, naturopath has found a great way to increase her income by selling nonsense to desperate patients...
    Get a second opinion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I learned enough to know that you are all ignorant and don't have hormone issues like those with AF.

You could at least read the information and links I posted from the endocrine society

You are clearly suffering, and I a sorry for that,but an unsubstantiated made up disease nomenclature won't help you

I hope you take the opportunity to expand your knowledge, avoid the quackery and find some relief ...