under eating and gaining weight?

Options
crys_vb
crys_vb Posts: 25 Member
I'm looking for some nutrition advice, i'm hoping someone has some answers for me:

I'm 23 years old and 5'1 i weight 108 - 110 pounds. I hit the gym really hard when i do go, its five times a week an hour and a half of intense high weight training but my body is not changing. I can feel muscles everywhere but my body looks chubby. Someone commented to me the other day that i have "big soccer legs" then when i don't work out and eat whatever i seem to drop pounds, is it possible that i'm under eating? And how could i possibly eat 2000 cals a day and lose weight? Currently i try to stay at 1200.. so confused :(

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When you workout, your body floods your muscles with some extra fluid to help heal and repair them. This can come with a stall or a slight gain on the scale for a few weeks while your body gets used to the new routine. When you stop working out, your body releases this extra fluid and you see a drop on the scale. This sounds like it might be what you're describing.
  • Mamathoma
    Mamathoma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    crys_vb wrote: »
    I'm looking for some nutrition advice, i'm hoping someone has some answers for me:

I'm 23 years old and 5'1 i weight 108 - 110 pounds. I hit the gym really hard when i do go, its five times a week an hour and a half of intense high weight training but my body is not changing. I can feel muscles everywhere but my body looks chubby. Someone commented to me the other day that i have "big soccer legs" then when i don't work out and eat whatever i seem to drop pounds, is it possible that i'm under eating? And how could i possibly eat 2000 cals a day and lose weight? Currently i try to stay at 1200.. so confused :(

If you lose when you eat more why not go with that? You should check out leanbodiesconsulting.com. They have a ton of great info !
  • lynn1643
    lynn1643 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am about the same height and weight as you and my workouts are similar. My muscles definately retain water and seem swollen after a tough workout. You could try increasing your calories by a few hundred and incorporate more foods you enjoy. And dont let.anyones comments get to you, you are in great shape!!!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    lynn1643 wrote: »
    I am about the same height and weight as you and my workouts are similar. My muscles definately retain water and seem swollen after a tough workout. You could try increasing your calories by a few hundred and incorporate more foods you enjoy. And dont let.anyones comments get to you, you are in great shape!!!
    Why would the above comments, "get to her"?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With your activity you can probably eat 2100 calories to maintain your weight. If you actually want to see changes in your body without losing all your muscle, you're going to want to eat around 1800-1900 (assuming you're logging properly).

And yes the extra weight is from your muscles retaining water to rebuild themselves from all the exercise. It's completely normal.