How out of shape am I?

Options
2»

Replies

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Oh okay. Well am I thin? My goal is to look thin. I suppose I can't really tell how I look objectively since I'm too worried I look bad.

Your goal is to look thin? Not slim? Not 'toned'? Not healthy?

Sounds like you need to speak to someone about your self-esteem issues; I can also say for certain that whilst losing a bit of weight may make you a bit happier and a bit confident, it won't fix your self-esteem issues. I am 5ft 3 and used to weigh 110lbs, down from 182. Did it make me feel better about myself? Nope. I still had no self-confidence or self-worth.

I am now 128lbs and more confident and happier than I ever was at such a low weight. Please, stop focusing on how you look and work on YOU.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just think most people are thin and I stick out like a sore thumb :/

If this is true, then you probably need some therapy for your body issues. You live in a world (if you live in America or in most of Europe) where the majority of the population is overweight, so it's unlikely you stand out as larger than anyone.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you need other people to validate you then I think you need to work on your mental health first. And I say that with complete respect. I have suffered from poor self esteem and depression for most of my life. Sometimes I would blame my lack of self confidence on not being ten pounds lighter but that was never the real reason. Losing weight won't fix your self esteem issues. You need to stop comparing yourself to everyone else (I know that's easier said than done). If you want to lose weight do it for yourself and not to fit someone else's perception of beauty.

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • Aimeeank
    Aimeeank Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people fail at losing weight/dieting because they don't realize the extreme emotional weight that is tied to it. Watch "Extreme Weight Loss" on Hulu and see what I mean. Every person on there has an emotional struggle they need to deal with to really make a difference in their transformation. It sounds like you are placing a large emphasis on a "look" instead of your health. When you are healthy in your head, you'll be healthy in your body! From what I see, you aren't a "big" girl. Just a little soft. Like most people have said, a good strength training program will help you lean up and see some muscle. Then you would not only look healthy, but FEEL healthy! Our entire society needs to stop reaching for a look and start working towards a lifestyle. Change your mind first, dear. The rest will follow!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I think my body would look better if I was thin.

I think you'd see the same body no matter what. You need to fix your head first.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Big? Big is me in my profile before picture and after 70+ lbs loss, that is still big my friend. Like the above poster said you need to fix your head.

And Just in case try to do whatever you choose to do with your body but do it for your self.

Good luck
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I think my body would look better if I was thin.

Then make it YOUR definition of thin, not a bunch of random internert peeps idea. It's YOUR. body at the end of the day- you need to work with it not against it. Body confidence is a huge issue and I don't have the answers. Good luck on both your weight loss journey and your journey to loving yourself.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok first thing... you seem to have a large frame. So get that in mind. You will probably never get the 'slim' look because you're not built that way.

And no, you're not big. What I'd do in your place is set a small deficit (lose 0.5 pound a week) and do some strength training.