Luna bars? Wheat flour? Opinions?

I eat a Luna bar every day (I know they're not the healthiest because of the sugar and everything but whatever :indifferent: ) and I just had the Peanut Honey Pretzel flavor. It was really good, but I was reading the ingredients and I saw that the pretzel bits were made from wheat flour and not whole wheat. I'm really new to this whole nutrition thing as before I began recovery for my eating disorder I'd mainly focus on whatever LOOKED healthy and low calorie, but now I'm trying to get in as many calories as possible but keep it as nutritious as I can to make up for the damage. Make sense? I know I need to work on fear foods and everything and that this is probably just an orthorexia-fueled question to some but my therapist and I literally began working on fear foods just last week as I'm now physically in a good enough place to do so. I honestly have no clue about this, though, and I really think it would be nice to know for the future.

Okay, back to the question; Luna bars are healthy ENOUGH to me. There's lots of vitamins and an okay amount of protein and such, but.. the wheat flour. Is that okay because this happens to be one of the lowest carb flavors and a low GI bar or is it still bad because it's not whole wheat?

Soy Protein Isolate (Organic), Rice Flour (Organic), Roasted Soybeans (Organic), Soy Flour (Organic), Flaxmeal (Organic), Brown Rice Syrup (Organic), Dried Cane Syrup (Organic), Palm Kernel Oil (Organic), Soy Lecithin (Organic), Vanilla (Organic), Peanuts (Organic), Peanut Butter (Organic), Salt, Wheat Flour (Organic), Canola Oil (Organic), Malt (Organic), Inulin (Chicory Extract), Peanut Flour (Organic), Honey (Organic), Natural Flavors, Vegetable Glycerin, Oat Syrup Solids (Organic), Sunflower Seed Oil (Organic), Sea Salt, Vitamins & Minerals:, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Fumarate (Iron), Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Zinc Oxide, Molybdenum Glycinate, Pyridoxine (vitamin B6), Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene (Vitamin A), Manganese Sulfate, Selenium AAC, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Chromium AAC, Ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2), Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Folic Acid, Cupric Oxide, Phytonadione (Vitamin K1), Biotin, Potassium Iodide

Serving Size: 1 bar (48g)
Calories: 190
Calories from fat: 70
*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Amount/Serving% DV*
Total Fat 8g 12%
Sat. Fat 2.5g 13%
Trans Fat 0g None
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 210mg 9%
Potassium 135mg 4%
Total Carb. 22g 7%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Insoluble Fiber 0g None
Sugars 11g None
Other Carb. 8g None
Protein 9g

This is genuinely befuddling to me. Thoughts?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Sure, it may not be the whole wheat, but come on, it's the 14th ingredient. There are a ton of other flours and oils and "Natural flavors" in there that you can worry about. It's a long ingredient list. If you care that much, quit eating it. Otherwise, enjoy your bar.
  • micaelasrecovery
    micaelasrecovery Posts: 12 Member
    I'm not too worried about it, but like I said I'm new to all this and I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs and what's okay when and stuff like that. Thank you!