Motivation Tips?

Options
How do you all stay motivated to stick to your health and fitness plan?

I try to plan days of the week to work out. I find 2-3 weight lifting routines to rotate between plus plan for some cardio so I can mix it up. I also try to compile some lists of easy things to eat for all three meals and snacks.

I feel like I always end up feeling like the changes are too much work (no matter how incremental I make them) or I just get SO BORED despite trying my hardest to mix it up. I also get worried that I haven't picked out the PERFECT or MOST effective exercises/recipes and stress over perfection. I just can't commit.

I have tried rigid planning and loose planning. No matter what I can't stick to the plan and I get discouraged. I feel like I am a failure!

I want to stick with it this time, but I am afraid of losing momentum and motivation. Any tips are appreciated!

Replies

• cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat better now and have small amounts of sugar snack, because I no longer happy being fat. I have been very happy these past three weeks knowing that because I am now aware of the calories that go in and go out, that's 1.5 kg's that I didn't put on.
    I have been going to the gym off and on
    (The off is when I put it on)
    I find that going three times a week was to stressful so now I am going twice a week. With the rest of the week I push my self with the Fitbit HR charger.

What got me start on MFP and the Fitbit was the thought that I am only going to keep getting bigger if I don't stop Now!!
    Not tomorrow not Monday NOw

I am so happy my mind, body and soul are one again!
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with being a perfectionist! I am one as well!
    As far as the workout routine goes, I was CONSTANTLY stressing over this! I started C25K but I was so disappointed with myself after attempting and failing miserably at the first day that I quit. Instead, I joined a gym and kind of attempted to run before becoming further discouraged. Once I restarted C25K and decided to suck it up and power through it, I made strides.
    My next stress came from constantly hearing that lifting is essential for retaining LBM. Cue even more stress. (Can you see a pattern here? ☺️)
    So, I started stronglifts 5x5. I still have to worry about my form, but honestly, there is so much information out there that I'm managing that stress much better.
    So, I guess my point is, there is no such thing as the "perfect" workout routine. For me, rotating C25K and strong lifts works well. You only need to find what works for you, not the "perfect" workout.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy. There is nothing I want more. So, I do the things that will keep me as healthy as I can be.

It just depends on what you want. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    How do you all stay motivated to stick to your health and fitness plan?

I try to plan days of the week to work out. I find 2-3 weight lifting routines to rotate between plus plan for some cardio so I can mix it up. I also try to compile some lists of easy things to eat for all three meals and snacks.

I feel like I always end up feeling like the changes are too much work (no matter how incremental I make them) or I just get SO BORED despite trying my hardest to mix it up. I also get worried that I haven't picked out the PERFECT or MOST effective exercises/recipes and stress over perfection. I just can't commit.

I have tried rigid planning and loose planning. No matter what I can't stick to the plan and I get discouraged. I feel like I am a failure!

I want to stick with it this time, but I am afraid of losing momentum and motivation. Any tips are appreciated!
    what I bolded could be the issue.

eat the food you like/want/crave/love just make it fit into your goals.

Find a workout you enjoy and stick with it...no need to "mix it up".

Changing things all the time is a lot of work and I would get frustrated too.

The perfect and most effective exercises are the ones you will do...the best recipes are the ones you like to eat.

I started 2 years ago and was doing 30 day shred....loved it, did it for 2 months.

Remembered I loved lifting...started that and did that for the winter...just that.

Added in walks, kept lifting never got bored...I am still lifting, walking and recently added in running.

I am a type A personality too...I preplan my week based on what is in my fridge/freezer/cupboards...and go with it...changes happen and I am alright with that too....

No need to add stress to this...just go with it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options

Do you go to work every day? How do you remain motivated to do that?

Do you brush your teeth every day? Where do you get the motivation for that?

Do you prepare or acquire food to eat every day? What motivates you to do that?

Weighing and logging your food comes from the same source of motivation. It's just something I do every day. It doesn't matter what I eat. I can eat anything at all ... as long as I don't go over my calorie limit.

As for exercise ... it really doesn't matter what you do. What matters more is that you enjoy it. So ... go for a walk at lunch and get some fresh air. Go kayaking with friends on the weekend. Get a bicycle and go for a ride. Do whatever you like. :)