Vivo fit and calories

Options
So I'm a little confused about the vivofit and mfp. Mgp takes the steps I've done with vivo and calculates my calories. Then when I actually work out I use the hrm with it and it adds that as a separate point on mfp. Is it actually giving me those work out calories twice? Should I rely on vivo and not mfp for the workout calories because it is lower? I don't eat all of them anyway but I definitely don't want it adding it twice because even if I eat half of the workout calories that still adds up.

Replies

• melholmes80
    melholmes80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I don't have a hrm, but if I upload a run from a different app to mfp my vivofit is still giving me exercise calories for my "steps" while on a run. Should I be taking off my vivofit when I run and just inputting manually since its lower?
  • snailwhale91
    snailwhale91 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I hope we can find an answer. I feel silly for not knowing but it's very confusing
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hmm, it really shouldn't if you enter the workout via MFP. Do you enter the time you completed the activity when you enter it through MFP? Basically, I only get credit for my Garmin steps above and beyond the workout I entered within MFP.

However, melhomes80, if I do use another app like mapmyfitness, it does double count the activity and then I have to delete one of them.
  • snailwhale91
    Options
    I just tested it out and it gave me the calories for the account of steps and then another slot for calories for the time I used the hrm. So I took out the hrm and did it through mfp and it still looks the same. Is it supposed to adjust the steps?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Set MFP for negative adjustments and that'll discount the step count during the activities that you track on the tracker.
  • snailwhale91
    Options
    I figured it out! I was comfused because I did .ot see the amount of steps change but the calories definitely did. If you didn't exercize to earn the steps calories would you even eat them back? I haven't been.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    the steps themselves dont adjust but the number of calories given for the steps do. so you could have 10000 steps but if the hrm calories take up the majority of the calories, you could only get 50 calories for that many steps (that is just a random number I picked). You dont need negative adjustments for that to happen.
  • snailwhale91
    Options
    I get it now! Thank you soooo much
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    On another note, I am in maintenance so I eat mine back but you don't have to if you don't want to.