Dairy-free Yogurt Options?

Options
I'm intolerant to dairy and miss having a yogurt snack. I know there are some dairy-free yogurt options and so far I've tried Stonyfield Farms' O'Soy -- it's not terrible. I know Silk makes one too but I can't find it in any of the grocery store chains around here (central Mass.). Does anyone know of any other options? I like to mix my protein shake powder in with the yogurt to get a thick, mousse-type snack (and increased protein!).

...and before anyone jumps all over me, yes, my dairy intolerance has been evaluated and confirmed by professionals and by diarrhea. It also runs in the family. No pun intended.

Also, is there a dairy-free group here?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You can buy a yogurt maker and make your own with lactose-free milk. I do it with a greek yogurt, which is very close to lactose free, so when you make your own with it, then end result is lactose free. It's also extremely tasty and whatever flavor you choose to make it. About $30 on Amazon.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk yogurt. So delicious and trader joes are both good.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Yogurt maker??? Awesome! I've never heard of this. I will definitely check that out. I'd love to make my own! Thank you!
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The nearest Trader Joe's is over a hour away, but it might be worth it to stock up. Thank you.
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I've tried some of the soy ones and some of the almond milk ones. Coconut milk has shown up recently.

I'm very lactose intolerant but I've discovered I can have ONE nonfat Greek cow milk yogurt and be okay.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Careful with the protein powder, as most are whey-based and can cause irritation for those with lactose issues. There are many that are either whey-isolate which are supposed to be lactose-free as well as vegan based that are quite good. :)

Can you tolerate lactose free yogurts or is it dairy as a whole that you can't tolerate?
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've also made my own coconut milk yogurt in the crockpot. There are lots of recipes online.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    soy delicous coconut milke yogurt is very good as well as trader joes almond milk yogurt and silk almond milk yogurt!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Alpro vanilla is yummy - tastes like custard :)