Raw fruit and veggie allergy....now what

13»

Replies

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    I have hardly any food issues or allergies except sinus stuff in the spring but fresh pineapple has been bothering me, and eating raw nuts have been starting to give me this dry hacking cough right after, like weird sensations. Like OAS I assume?
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    @bbontheb it's like having a SUPER itchy mouth and throat. It's very uncomfortable and very obvious...I have never heard of a dry hacking cough but I wouldn't be surprised as symptoms of allergies come in different ways...might want talk to a doctor about it. You can be allergic to something and not show any symptoms...however each time your exposed it gets a bit worse to the point where you might need to use a epi pen. My ds has a fish and shellfish allergy that's been getting steadily worse every time he's been exposed to it unknowingly....hope you all find some relief!
  • tiffanyr824
    tiffanyr824 Posts: 5 Member
    Personally my reactions are itchy, irritated mouth, lips , throat and coughing and that's only if I have a small bit of something. I had a little bit of an Asian sauce recently that I didn't know had fresh pineapple in it, I had all of the symptoms above. I had to take some benedryl and use my inhaler. When this all started for me, before I realized what was going on, I drank a smoothie at the mall, it was so good, I basically drank it non stop while walking around. When I was done my mouth was itching and my throat was so irritated that I couldn't even talk, it scared me! It's the strangest thing I've experienced. And it's like a switch was flipped, one day I could eat anything and then the next I couldn't.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    @jburke141 thanks for the info. It's like an itch in my throat that causes this dry hacking cough feeling. Like as if I improperly inhaled something.lol. I have concerns over needing epi pen in our first aid kit for when we go camping etc for emergencies and think perhaps I'll speak to our Dr just in case. Mine was only raw almonds. Then was walnuts, etc as well. The pineapple is the same. So annoying!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    There are certain fruits and vegetables that make my mouth tingly when I eat them raw, and then I get a little nauseous after swallowing them.

But for some strange reason, when I blend them up in my Vitamix as a smoothie, I'm fine.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 204 Member
    Maybe try a liver detox to see. Sometimes when you do one, your allergies start to fade. There's some olive oil based ones on the internet or a juice one I do is with 1/3 cranberry juice and 2/3 orange juice. It is all unsweetened, pure. There's also one with bee pollen. Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    Maybe try a liver detox to see. Sometimes when you do one, your allergies start to fade. There's some olive oil based ones on the internet or a juice one I do is with 1/3 cranberry juice and 2/3 orange juice. It is all unsweetened, pure. There's also one with bee pollen. Good luck.
    Olive oil, orange juice and/or cranberry juice will neither detoxify your liver or cure your allergies.