Cardio with a torn calf

Options
tdr82
tdr82 Posts: 48 Member
I have recently suffered a grade 2 torn calf which takes approximately 4-6 weeks to recover. During this time i would like to keep up with some cardio. Any suggestions on what can be done?
I have been told cycling isn't bad as long as I pedal with my heels and not balls of the feet.

Replies

• vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tore my Achilles in half a little over a year ago, and the only type of cardiovascular I could even attempt was booking it in the wheelchair. Are you in a boot?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You should probably ask your doctor that question.
  • tdr82
    Options
    no boot, and should be able to walk normally in a week although won't be able to push it for another 5. Will be talking to my physio next week when I start doing exercises to strengthen it so I will have more idea then. Just wanted to see what has worked for others and perhaps discuss it with the physion if appropriate for the particular injury.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had a bad calf strain this winter/spring. I used the stationary bike on low resistance for ~4 weeks, then graduated to the elliptical for about 3 weeks, then slowly started to incorporate running again.

I really should have just rested it, though. I am quite sure I dragged out the healing process with the cycling. And I didn't even enjoy it! Then when I finally got to start running again, it was of course awesome, but it also kind of sucked because I had great aerobic/cardio endurance but my muscles (legs) were just.not.having.it. It was another 2-3 months before I was back up to speed.

If you are jumping into an exercise you haven't been doing regularly already, be careful. You can wind up with a whole host of overuse injuries very quickly.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I was allowed to finally use my leg, I was allowed to use the stationary bike with my heels only. They may allow you to do that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If it's truly going to be six weeks, you could try an arm ergometer, if that is available. Not sure if water running in a deep well would be ok, but that might be another option--or swimming without pushing off the side of the pool. When I tore my calf that badly one time, I just gutted it out and rested the six weeks. One false move and you can reset the recovery clock.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Why only cardio is the option?

Perhaps thinking it's needed for weight loss?

Not.

I hobbled between weight machines at the gym with a trimalleolar break. You can do a whole lot of machines with no calf involvement, even lower body, though glute is difficult.
    I was limited by weight, so no pushing either.
    But if you can confirm no calf engagement, even pushing may not be out of the question for you.

But ditto to advice that a rush to get back could easily set you back longer in the end - and that is aggravating.

Swimming was my cardio once incisions healed, and attempted arm ergometer (too bored), and some arm/leg press/pull sitting cardio contraption that worked decently enough without 1 leg engaged at first, lighter weight as I recovered.

1-legged spin bike, though brief periods. I wouldn't even attempt that with both legs in the hopes you won't automatically engage the calf muscle, even if pushing with heels only as goal.

Don't worry - it takes a while to lose your cardio conditioning if you are at least doing something more than total bed rest, if that is the concern.
    2 days after being let out of my boot (already had reached full weight and mostly full range of motion after 3 months) - I did 40 mile bike ride no issue, almost as fast as normal. Though a tad skittish putting that foot down. I would have attempted 80 mile, but knew my sit bones padding weren't prepared.
  • tdr82
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I stay away from the ergs as they aren't the best thing for my back. Years of rowing has taken it's toll