Cardio and protein

Options
A bodybuilder friend if mine told me to drink a protein shake after a cardio workout, but I sit still a good thing if I do my cardio then grab a shower and go straight to bed? I almost always do my cardio late and trying to lose weight and so I wasn't worried about the calories, but now I'm not so sure.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. protein is something usually more associated with a resistance training workout
    2. but it's okay, because you can probably use more protein than you're getting with the shake
    3. the time of day or when you go to bed doesn't have any real bearing on if you should drink it or now.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As a side note I can say that I do something similar - except I grab the protein before taking a shower and then heading to bed.

What I have found is that I do not suffer nearly as much from fatigue the next day which makes me more productive and likely to adhere to diet/training regimen the next day.....but that is just my personal experience - your mileage may vary.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Probably advising you to not run low on protein on your non lift days.

You can't be low on protein when building and repairing muscle.

You don't need a huge amount.

I drink a 24 gram 120 calorie shake post workout
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's just to help you replenish and repair. In my experience having some form of protein before bed helps me sleep better. Glass of milk, cottage cheese, protein shake, whatever it's all pretty much the same.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some of the more recent studies would suggest protein either 2 hours before or after a workout can be beneficial, but most of the studies are based around weight training.

The big question is, how much protein are you eating throughout the day. Are you eating a meal closely before or after running? And do you do any resistance based training (weight training, body weight, etc..)?