Restaurant Employees Unite??

ktq347
ktq347 Posts: 2
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
My greatest obstacle in losing just TEN POUNDS is that I work in a restaurant where available food groups include: butter, french fries, leftover desserts, dinner rolls, and more butter. I'm thankful that my job is so active, but I don't know how to keep my hands off those end-of-the-night treats! Help!

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    I had the same problem!!

I would always try to reach for healthier options.... like insteaf of popping a fry or crouton I would try a grape tomato.. Or drink a LOT of water instead of my soda. We also had mini desserts so when I really needed something I would eat one of those instead of a full size.

I am out of the industry now but I know how you feel.... best of luck to you. :)
  • i did restaurant work for many years and it helped me to gain a lot of weight. it wasn't just the food, but also the drinking lifestyle that accompanied it.
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    UGH i know exactly how you feel! I waitressed for about 5 years and it's so hard to not grab something while your on the run. What I started doing was trying to eat before my shift, or bring something "healthier" that I could just grab a bite of when I had the chance. I also noticed that sometimes I ate the food because it looked good, not because I was hungry. So drink lots of water!
    Best of luck to you ...you can do it !!
  • I know your pain, I work in the back of the house and the boys are unforgiving when they make family meal. It looks and tastes amazing, water and grapes have been my go to thing when I want to pop stuff in my mouth instead of the delicious brownie that i just put on top of someones sundae
  • Rosie958r
    Rosie958r Posts: 160 Member
    I work in a fast food shop and it's put me off all the greasy foods!
    It's really gross to see how mush oil they are cooked in
  • Im in the same boat. Ive been in the restaurant business for 8 years now. The snacking and the lifestyle has definitaly caught up to me. So grapes are a good idea but any suggestions from people for when you get off work so late and are starving? Whats something good to eat knowing you're going to go to bed soon???
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    My family owns a restaurant. I have been managing it for about 8 years but before that, restaurants are all I knew. Easy, fast, fattening food! For me, it came down to telling all my staff that I was changing my life. Having the accountability! They keep me in check with what I am eating. I haven't touched fried food in almost 7 weeks, other than a bite of a new dish to give an opinion. That was something I had to change too. Just a bite to try something not a dish of it to make sure it was good. We make everything from scratch so I do have to taste for consistency, but it is only 1 bite and then I get a second opinion. I try to think about what I want for the day BEFORE I get there and I always keep in mind the hard work I did that morning (I am in the gym at 6am 3 days a week) and ask myself if I really want to just throw away the calories I worked so hard to get off just now and if I really want to throw away the $ I just paid my trainer to help me get rid of those calories! I drink about 80-100 ounces of water between 11 and 2, the busy shift, this keeps me away from food and I chew gum.....But, if you really want to lose weight and get in better shape, it shouldn't be a hard choice what you want to eat......Good luck!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    @mollyd, I love rice cakes! So many different flavor and crunchy and some are sweet or salty so it takes care of any kind of craving I might have, I also love the yogurt with granola.
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    My greatest obstacle in losing just TEN POUNDS is that I work in a restaurant where available food groups include: butter, french fries, leftover desserts, dinner rolls, and more butter. I'm thankful that my job is so active, but I don't know how to keep my hands off those end-of-the-night treats! Help!

Easy, volunteer to help close the kitchen. By the time you are done with all that clean up you feel so gross you don't want to touch food until after a shower. That will help with the after work treats.

I don't get how you guys gained. I worked in kitchens for years before I became a computer geek and I could never eat. I was always too busy and sweating my butt off.
This discussion has been closed.