Help with pcos

Options
Hi I gave pcos so I shouldn't eat so many carbs , I try not to eat bread cereals pasta etched but I love fruit and veg , so yesterday when I looked at how much carbs I had it was far to much but don't know how to cut back as how can I just eat protein

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi I gave pcos so I shouldn't eat so many carbs , I try not to eat bread cereals pasta etched but I love fruit and veg , so yesterday when I looked at how much carbs I had it was far to much but don't know how to cut back as how can I just eat protein
    When people decrease carbs, they often increase fat and oils: whole milk, soy beans, nuts, avocados, cheese, salmon.

• francheska175
    francheska175 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ok I'll look at that , just didn't know how to get rid of the amount of fruit veg I'm eating bigger protein less veg
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I did low carb, it was okay for around 3 weeks, then I missed fruit and veg.. I think you have to set a realistic goal that you can stick to long term. I found that 40grams of carbs per day was too low for me to be able to enjoy some fruit or carrot, and there is no way I would stick to that.

Can you reduce your carbs gradually, that way you will come across good alternatives to add more protein and fat.

Avocado is great as it's high fat and delicious with a salad or a burger. Cheese, nuts, nut butters, pork rinds, eggs etc.. you can have a lot of spinach for very little carbs.
  • francheska175
    Options
    Thanks I've not long came off Cambridge as missed carbs as in fruit veg I'll cut back a little see what happens just I seem to be at a stand still now I'm eating them
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Did a dr tell you to go low carb? Are you insulin resistant, prediabetic or have any other medical issue along with PCOS? Because in general low carb is not needed for PCOS management, losing weight is, with whatever method best suits you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    An open diary would help. If you avoid banana and grapes fruits are generally 10g sugar per 100g or less. Even better stick to berries and the carb content is half that.

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/defending-a-carbohydrate-restricted-option-for-pcos-management
  • francheska175
    Options
    I seem to lose weight if I go low carb but as soon as I eat it I stay sane and bloat I'm at docs later so going to ask him to
  • francheska175
    Options
    I've open
    yarwell wrote: »
    An open diary would help. If you avoid banana and grapes fruits are generally 10g sugar per 100g or less. Even better stick to berries and the carb content is half that.

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/defending-a-carbohydrate-restricted-option-for-pcos-management

I've opened my food dairy now only started using it yesterday
  • yarwell
    Options
    Cool. The frozen yoghurt was 20% of the sugar for the day.
  • francheska175
    Options
    Ok I'll cut that out how about sugar free jelly
  • yarwell
    Options
    virtually no carbs in SF jelly. Nice with cream but not much nutrition in the jelly itself.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sugar-free jelly is fine. Low carb/sugar veggies include leafy greens like romaine, spinach, swiss chard, kale, bok choy. Also mushrooms, olives, cucumbers and pickles, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower, okra, asparagus, green beans, Strawberries and Blueberries are also low-ish carb.
    Avocados are low carb and high in fat.
    A breakfast suggestion: Add some nuts or chia seeds or flax seed to plain yogurt or cottage cheese to bump up your protein, fat, fiber.
    Another breakfast idea is to make eggs and bacon (skip the bread)
  • francheska175
    Options
    J
    virtually no carbs in SF jelly. Nice with cream but not much nutrition in the jelly itself.

i love it and need something sweet most nights after dinner to keep me on track
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with a bit of sugar free jelly as long as it fits in her calories for the day. Who cares if it's not packed to the brim with vitamins and minerals, sometimes you just need some jelly.

What has really helped with my PCOS is heavy lifting three times a week, moderate cardio three times a week for 30 minutes a session, and increasing my healthy fat intake. Avocados(love avocados! Was going to make a chicken and avocado salad for dinner tonight. Mmmm...) nuts and nut butters, oils like coconut oils and olive oils, eggs (the whole egg, not just the white), full fat organic dairy, and yes, I eat bacon almost every day. My carbs are higher, about 150 g a day, but my PCOS is mild compared to others and I have no blood sugar issues. If lower carb works for you then go for it, just know it's not essential for PCOS unless you have blood sugar issues.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options

What has really helped with my PCOS is heavy lifting three times a week, moderate cardio three times a week for 30 minutes a session, and increasing my healthy fat intake. Avocados(love avocados! Was going to make a chicken and avocado salad for dinner tonight. Mmmm...) nuts and nut butters, oils like coconut oils and olive oils, eggs (the whole egg, not just the white), full fat organic dairy, and yes, I eat bacon almost every day. My carbs are higher, about 150 g a day, but my PCOS is mild compared to others and I have no blood sugar issues. If lower carb works for you then go for it, just know it's not essential for PCOS unless you have blood sugar issues.

Any drop in weight should impact hormones, the lower carb/high protein aspect is usually encouraged for insulin resistance. Exercise also helps with IR. If you haven't already, I'd talk with an endocrinologist and a Registered Dietitian to see if low carb/low GI is best for your specific situation.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23420000
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22855917

I completely agree. I slowly lost 45 pounds in 2012/2013 without reducing carbs. I do try to get enough fat and protein, and generally try to eat carbs that are higher in fiber. I also love avocados and whole eggs! My endocrinologist mostly wanted me to keep up my level of activity (Zumba or walking around 3 days, plus progressive lifting 2-3 days). I asked about reducing carbs, and she said it was unnecessary as long as blood sugar levels are in the desired range- as long as I was active and dropping pounds she was happy.