Overweight gym staff

Replies

• TeeC56
    TeeC56 Posts: 12 Member
    " To me good advice is good advice, regardless of the person's weight, gender, race, height.. etc"

That's a bit silly. In a world just full of obese/unfit people who know all about losing weight/getting fit (but for some reason have done neither), it makes perfect sense that many people seeking to lose weight or get fit would find the opinions and advice from someone who has actually done one or the other more.. valid
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    I understand the idea that if someone isn't following their own advice, it is hard to take them seriously. The logic behind it makes sense.

But similar to what other's have been saying, you don't know what life circumstances have happened to them. I know you said that they aren't progressing in their own fitness/health journey, but how do you know that? How do you know that maybe at one point, they were extremely fit and qualified to be giving advice, but life happened to them and they got knocked down? One of the trainers at my gym, when judged by these standards, shouldn't be training, but realistically, even though he is still heavier, he also lost around 120 lbs. 120 lbs doesn't come off by accident.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    I don't want to be mean or rude, but it is bugging me. One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts and it bugs me. They also give out bad advice. I heard one of them telling a lady the other day she shouldn't aim to get big muscles, just do low reps on the weight machines.

Actually I've heard this a lot lately, in a Bodypump class I go to, the instructor keeps saying 'this will get you stronger, not bigger!' Well I actually want my muscles to get bigger, as then I will burn more calories and be more toned!

Rant over.
    Like you, I don't mean to sound unkind, but.... :|

NO THANKS!
    I have zero interest in gym staff who can't translate their knowledge into success. For example...and these are actual business people I know personally...
    • a financial "adviser" who filed for bankruptcy...
    • a psychologist specializing in "marriage counseling" who cheated on his wife...WITH A PATIENT!
    • a business "consultant" who failed in business every time he owned a business
    • a police officer who steals from his crime scenes
    • a real estate agent who can't sell homes
    • a "motivational speaker" who attempted suicide...
    • a drug rehab counselor who is a drug addict...
    Part of my inspiration are the results of others, because if they can achieve something, so too can I.
    Personal trainers and such are much more than just mouthpieces of information or coaches.
    I need to know they have the demonstrated ability to connect knowledge with action and discipline to achieve success - not excuses.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    TeeC56 wrote: »
    " To me good advice is good advice, regardless of the person's weight, gender, race, height.. etc"

That's a bit silly. In a world just full of obese/unfit people who know all about losing weight/getting fit (but for some reason have done neither), it makes perfect sense that many people seeking to lose weight or get fit would find the opinions and advice from someone who has actually done one or the other more.. valid

Not necessarily. The best weight loss advice I got was from my mom who's been weight stable for as long as I remember, apart from crash dieting once every year after visiting my grandparents. "Your mouth is not a trash disposal. Don't eat something just because it's going to go bad/cold/stale if you don't. Eat it only when you want to eat it."

This has been a major player in my weight loss success, coming from someone who didn't really have weight issues or extensive weight loss experience nor cared for fitness.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    fitfor30th wrote: »
    I don't want to be mean or rude, but it is bugging me. One gym I go to a lot of the staff are quite a lot overweight (and not losing). They walk around with 'Health Maker' on the back of their T-shirts and it bugs me. They also give out bad advice. I heard one of them telling a lady the other day she shouldn't aim to get big muscles, just do low reps on the weight machines.

Actually I've heard this a lot lately, in a Bodypump class I go to, the instructor keeps saying 'this will get you stronger, not bigger!' Well I actually want my muscles to get bigger, as then I will burn more calories and be more toned!

Rant over.
    Like you, I don't mean to sound unkind, but.... :|

NO THANKS!
    I have zero interest in gym staff who can't translate their knowledge into success. For example...and these are actual business people I know personally...
    • a financial "adviser" who filed for bankruptcy...
    • a psychologist specializing in "marriage counseling" who cheated on his wife...WITH A PATIENT!
    • a business "consultant" who failed in business every time he owned a business
    • a police officer who steals from his crime scenes
    • a drug rehab counselor who is a drug addict...
    Part of my inspiration are the results of others, because if they can achieve something, so too can I.
    Personal trainers and such are much more than just mouthpieces of information or coaches.
    I need to know they have the demonstrated ability to connect knowledge with action and discipline to achieve success.

I agree with this. I'm not judgemental as many people here who are saying that they wouldn't go to an obese fitness trainer are being accused of being, but to me it is a mental thing. I used to have a PT, he was the second most naturally strongest man in the country and he looked it! He pushed me hard, and one of the reasons I worked hard was because he walked the walk; I would look at him and think 'yeah-you know what you're doing, I have complete confidence in you and what you're telling me, and that it will make the difference so I'm gonna nail this!@.

Although as @amusedmonkey said, in the scenario she is describing, I would totally go with the 'obese' woman.

I think, IMO, if I were to go to the gym and ask for an instructor and they gave me the choice, I would naturally go for the person with the fittest body. However, if I had more time and a chance to do my research, I would go for the one with the proven success record, no matter what they looked like.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    ooh, lots of discussion whilst I've been at the gym! @Versacam I know it's judgemental and I spend my life trying not to be judgemental, I wanted to hear other people's opinions so thank you. In this case there are three 'healthmakers' who I believe are very overweight, I haven't seen them lose weight over the last 12 months and I do think it doesn't set a good example. I also think they give bad advice.

But you're right, there could be reasons for this, but I am reminded of that picture ppl keep posting with the one legged guy that says - what's your excuse....
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Lets quit all this BS. As someone who wants to look after their own weight issues, you should not be down grading everyone else who does not look like your ideal weight. If the gym staff are bigger, (presumably you have seen them naked and its not muscle weight you are comparing) it is up to them to manage what weight they would like to look like. Your stereotypical stance saying they look over weight to you, could mean that your own ideal goal weight is not normal. For all we know what you see as overweight could in fact be a healthy weight. You have no right to judge others.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Versacam wrote: »
    I totally agree with first impressions and in some ways I think you cannot really help your first impression.

But the OP came here to have a rant and didn't even take a few moments to consider other options that have been discussed here. I just think it's rude and catty, and there's plenty enough of that to go around without adding to it.

I believe if I was faced with a super toned gym instructor, next to an overweight and out of shape out then I too would cast a judgement (in my head) of their ability to lead and motivate me, but I would ever say it on a forum to try to fat shame or ridicule overweight gym staff like the OP has. It certainly wouldn't irritate me either, I'd just chose the best person for the job, as rabbitjb has pointed out, their qualifications should matter more than their physical appearance.

I had a PT session with a guy who was very tall and technically overweight. I didn't have a choice as it was just a taster session, so he was the person I got. Once I got talking to him he said he used to be in the army but he had a brain tumor and had just come back to personal training, he showed me the scar over his head. Now, I know that's a one-off example, but it's an example of how you can mistreat someone just because they look out of shape.

Anyhow, just a bugbear of mine when people judge fat people. I'm fat, and I got treated a hell of a lot better when I was slimmer. :(

In general life situations, you shouldn't judge or mistreat people simply because they're fat. But outliers like your PT notwithstanding, you shouldn't be giving advice you clearly don't take. I think you're conflating two very different issues here. Being a fat trainer who is passed over in favor of a fitter trainer is quite different from being a fat person passed over by a bartender in favor of a skinny person (or whatever).

For what it's worth, I'm not getting help with my lifting form from a skinny fat person either.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    KateKyi wrote: »
    Lets quit all this BS. As someone who wants to look after their own weight issues, you should not be down grading everyone else who does not look like your ideal weight. If the gym staff are bigger, (presumably you have seen them naked and its not muscle weight you are comparing) it is up to them to manage what weight they would like to look like. Your stereotypical stance saying they look over weight to you, could mean that your own ideal goal weight is not normal. For all we know what you see as overweight could in fact be a healthy weight. You have no right to judge others.

This is exactly what you're accusing others of...total BS...actually it's total I'm trying to be PC BS

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This is exactly what you're accusing others of...total BS...actually it's total I'm trying to be PC BS

*Like*
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Okay, what about this then? Something I've often wondered.

If the PT has never been fat and has always been athletic/fit, are they any better or worse at advising you on diet to lose weight? As opposed to someone who is either overweight/previously overweight and understands the struggle and can give hints and tips on overcoming it.

Someone said before on the thread that they prefer their PT because they are a little tubby, and I guess less perfect and/or intimidating?

I just think there are worse things in life than being overweight, but because it shows, then people feel they have a right to judge you based on it. You can hide smoking, poor diet (if thin), hide previous convictions, bankruptcy, low intelligence, benefit claimant, unemployed.. or whatever other thing people are commonly judged on.. but you can't hide fat.

OP - I know it's easy to judge, and in a way I see what you are saying. We all judge, it's human nature, but I just wish every aspect of a person could be judged, rather than just their exterior. The fact that some people are rated higher or respected more purely based on their physical body is bad. Obviously for fitness I can see the direct correlation, but in reality, a PT will either be good or bad and I don't believe it's anything to do with what they look like.

• TeeC56
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »
    I understand the idea that if someone isn't following their own advice, it is hard to take them seriously. The logic behind it makes sense.

But similar to what other's have been saying, you don't know what life circumstances have happened to them. I know you said that they aren't progressing in their own fitness/health journey, but how do you know that? How do you know that maybe at one point, they were extremely fit and qualified to be giving advice, but life happened to them and they got knocked down? One of the trainers at my gym, when judged by these standards, shouldn't be training, but realistically, even though he is still heavier, he also lost around 120 lbs. 120 lbs doesn't come off by accident.

Why is this such a common train of thought?

I have neither the time nor the inclination to give consideration to the life situation of every person I see or even meet. Why should anyone?

If I see an obese trainer in a gym, I will note the discrepancy between his/her profession and their body weight, and give them not a single thought more.

I do not care if they have some disease preventing weight loss, I do not Care if they've recently put on weight due to trouble in their home life, etc etc. These are things you care about when you know someone.

Honestly, folks running around trying to pretend to care about everyone are emotionally exhausting themselves
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Overweight Gym staff with "Health Maker" on their Shirts, trying to advise me how to get fit & healthy - wouldn't fill me with too much confidence.
    That's like going to a Dermatologist who's face is covered in Spots!

What a terrible metaphor just because someone has spots would not mean they are a bad dermatologist. They could have a condition that is difficult to treat by anyone no matter how good. Maybe they became a dermatologist due to their issues. In the same way someone may work at a gym because of their personal issues. I've seen over weight and unfit looking Olympic coaches that have trained people to Gold medals. How someone looks is not an indication of their knowledge.

I stand by my "terrible metaphor".
    As i said, i wouldn't be filled with confidence on both examples i gave.
    When it comes to the Health & Fitness industry, most people go on first impressions AND a lot of it comes down to what someone looks like.
    If the people working in these industries are not seen to be taking the advice they're dishing out,..... it just doesn't look good!
    In that case a large proportion of successful elite coaches of many sports would be in your opinion no good.

Your choice and your opinion but judging people on appearance instead of experience and results is just blinkered and could mean losing out on valuable experience and knowledge. Bad advice is bad advice no matter if someone ultrafit or fat and overweight gives it and that's the same with good advice

Of course, successful coaches can look however they look. They've proved their worth.
    And most definitely, bad advice is bad advice....... no matter who gives it.
    But we're talking about first impressions of regular Gym advisors down the local Gym here.
    If they looked overweight or out of shape, i would be very dubious about their ability to advise me on Fitness & Health.
    Noboby is knocking overweight people per se.
  • TeeC56

If the PT has never been fat and has always been athletic/fit, are they any better or worse at advising you on diet to lose weight? As opposed to someone who is either overweight/previously overweight and understands the struggle and can give hints and tips on overcoming it.

Someone said before on the thread that they prefer their PT because they are a little tubby, and I guess less perfect and/or intimidating?

I just think there are worse things in life than being overweight, but because it shows, then people feel they have a right to judge you based on it. You can hide smoking, poor diet (if thin), hide previous convictions, bankruptcy, low intelligence, benefit claimant, unemployed.. or whatever other thing people are commonly judged on.. but you can't hide fat.

OP - I know it's easy to judge, and in a way I see what you are saying. We all judge, it's human nature, but I just wish every aspect of a person could be judged, rather than just their exterior. The fact that some people are rated higher or respected more purely based on their physical body is bad. Obviously for fitness I can see the direct correlation, but in reality, a PT will either be good or bad and I don't believe it's anything to do with what they look like.

How do you have time to consider all this lol and what is the point
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member

You've never had a deep thought?

I don't know how to reply to this.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have a right to judge anybody when I am paying them for a service whether it's a personal trainer, financial consultant or real estate agent.
    In fact, that's just good business.
    We're not talking about mistreated others or being mean. That's never acceptable.
    When a person is in the business of health and fitness, they need to demonstrate personal health and fitness success as well as possess the knowledge.
    Personally, I need that connection.

To each his own though...

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    I would love to walk into a gym and see some staff with some body fat. Particularly some older staff with a little body fat, and I'd like to see them actively working with people and ON the machines, acting like healthy normal people with strong normal bodies. That would be a gym that I'd have to join.
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »

Why is this such a common train of thought?

I have neither the time nor the inclination to give consideration to the life situation of every person I see or even meet. Why should anyone?

If I see an obese trainer in a gym, I will note the discrepancy between his/her profession and their body weight, and give them not a single thought more.

I do not care if they have some disease preventing weight loss, I do not Care if they've recently put on weight due to trouble in their home life, etc etc. These are things you care about when you know someone.

Honestly, folks running around trying to pretend to care about everyone are emotionally exhausting themselves

Every person you see or meet? Absolutely not.

But if you're looking to find and pay someone to train you, it makes sense to do the research on their background. Realistically you employ your PTs. It would be beneficial to understand their history and qualifications before you choose someone strictly based on size. There are plenty of individuals who appear to be in better shape than someone who is overweight, that doesn't necessarily mean they are more qualified. My best friend actually worked for Bally back in the day and they made her a trainer for them because she looked fit, meanwhile she ate fast food every day and had no clue how to motivate or inform people to reach their goals. There were definitely other trainers there that were heavier than her that knew more.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    I would love to walk into a gym and see some staff with some body fat. Particularly some older staff with a little body fat, and I'd like to see them actively working with people and ON the machines, acting like healthy normal people with strong normal bodies. That would be a gym that I'd have to join.

We have many Gyms like that in London.
    Where are you from?!! Lol
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member

You've never had a deep thought?

I don't know how to reply to this.

You took the words right out of my mouth.