Cooking oil calories!?

catt952
catt952 Posts: 190 Member
Hi i like to use olive oil to fry with. if i measure out a tablespoon, should i log the whole tablespoon into my calorie diary? Even if after cooking there's still some left in the pan and what not?

Replies

• spanderholic
    spanderholic Posts: 42 Member
    Tricky situation, and I'm sure there will be a few responses to this. I measure it out and log it fully if using oil normally. If I use spray oil I often forget to log it. To me I think it evens out as I don't always use all the oil I measure, and I sometimes remember to try and add in the spray oil.

You could always try pouring the leftover oil out on a spoon or container on the scales to measure what you have left then subtract that from the initial amount? Either way probably better to over do it and log too much rather than not enough :)
  • SharpTeeth
    SharpTeeth Posts: 22 Member
    Above user pretty much covered it, but "too much rather than not enough" seconded.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Most stuff I cook seems to involve sauteing at least some of the ingredients in olive oil. I log the oil because it usually seems to be absorbed by the food or incorporated into a sauce.

When I shallow fry something like chicken or catfish filets in a quarter or a third cup of oil, I guesstimate the oil absorbed. To measure or weigh the remaining oil I would also have to subtract the mass or volume of the breading or whatever else gets left behind. There's a limit to what can be done with a third-grade education.