Ever ok to take a break?

Options
So far I've lost around 7lbs in 62 days in my recent weight loss journey (56 lbs lost in total). I've been trying to get to 112 and am now 130-131. I'm eating around 1200 and exercising 5 days a week for 30-45 mins. In the last 2 weeks I've dropped 3.5 lbs.

I'm thinking about just taking a week break from the exercise while still sticking to my 1200 cals. Is it ever ok to take a break from your diet and exercise? Will it hinder my weight loss much?

Replies

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to take a break from exercise? Do you dislike your program?

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You could certainly eat at maintenance, but I'm guessing that you want to step away from calorie counting, as well.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think small breaks are ok and good for you....providing you have a clear understanding and reason for wanting or needing them. Are you feeling exhausted or over whelmed by what you are doing, are you constantly staying sore etc? Sometimes its better to just deload and do a little less intense of what you are doing for a week so you are still staying in the game. Taking an extended time off " just because" can turn into much longer. I take off about 5 days every 6 months or so but, i also train very hard and intense 5-6 days a week. People tend to take that off time for a few days and then unpack and stay there.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I work out because I like it and want to see results in my body, so I wouldn't take a break from that myself. What is wrong with your current program that causes you to actually want to take time away from it? And what are you doing? If it's a cardio program, give it up and try something new.

I have taken diet breaks where I ate at maintenance, generally for two weeks.

Why are you sticking to 1200, and are you eating any of your exercise calories back? If you don't fuel your workouts, they're going to be harder.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    So far I've lost around 7lbs in 62 days in my recent weight loss journey (56 lbs lost in total). I've been trying to get to 112 and am now 130-131. I'm eating around 1200 and exercising 5 days a week for 30-45 mins. In the last 2 weeks I've dropped 3.5 lbs.

I'm thinking about just taking a week break from the exercise while still sticking to my 1200 cals. Is it ever ok to take a break from your diet and exercise? Will it hinder my weight loss much?
    I take regular breaks from both but only for a day or so.
    Here is my disconnect: a sustained "break" usually turns into relapse into old habits which is why most gain all their lost weight back. Again, that is most people :(

What I have done is switch from time to time to weight maintenance - especially when I hit a wall.
    That's not a break but a programmed period of steady weight control.
    Another issue is eating enough and not losing too fast. That stifles metabolism and can diminish the quality and lasting effects of your weight loss.
    NO CRASH DIETING! Follow the 1 pound per week MFP suggestions.

As for exercise, yes, we all need rest or over-training stifles results. I rest 1 day every week.
    Rest is paramount!

Good Luck To You! <3
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Is it possible your body is trying to tell you this is were it feels like it should be? have you developed so much muscle from the exercise that you probably won't be the 112 you want? and what gave you the 112? is it that bmi scale? talk to an actual doctor/nutritionist to find out what your goal REALLY should be.

I have lost big time before over 100 and stop counting, BAM here i am AGAIN. So please don't stop the logging, you have worked very hard.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,010 Member
    Options
    I started mid-Feb ... mid-June I hit my first goal of 15 kg lost. That's where I was headed and where I figured I would stop.

Then I went on holiday and took a break from my diet for about a month. But I remained active. In fact, I was more active than usual.

When I returned from holiday, I had gained a little bit, but I was down to 15 kg lost within 2 weeks. Then I resumed the diet because I figured the first 4 months went really well, so why not try for a lighter weight ... one I maintained for years and years.

2 weeks later, I've lost 2 more kg ... 17 kg down.

So the break didn't hurt me.

BUT ... I took it after I hit my goal, and I knew exactly what I needed to do to pick up where I left off.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,032 Member
    Options
    I take breaks from logging - when I am on holidays.
    Just because I am not logging doesn't mean I go stupid though. I try to make reasonably healthy choices and eat reasonable sized portions.

If I gain a kg or 2, I dont worry about it, I just get back to normal when I get home and back into it as usual
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't want to stop logging and I'm sticking to 1200 because that's what MFP said I should be eating for a 1 lb a week loss.

I'm just doing cardio (on a stationary bike). I only eat back 20-100 of my exercise calories back.
  • Machka9
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't want to stop logging and I'm sticking to 1200 because that's what MFP said I should be eating for a 1 lb a week loss.

I'm just doing cardio (on a stationary bike). I only eat back 20-100 of my exercise calories back.

What do you want the break from then?

And how much stationary bike riding are you doing?

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine to take a break. I'm assuming you aren't training for a professional sport or the like. It's good to be dedicated but one week off is not going to ruin you.
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Whatever works best for you that allows you to maintain the healthiest lifestyle you can for a sustainable amount of time is going to be the best option. I can only speak for myself, but if I actually hit a week without hitting my workouts, I will most definitely fall off the entire bandwagon! To the point that even when I go on vacations, I have to hit the hotel gym to keep the momentum going. I remember when I was in Vegas, we were out until about 4 am and I was up at 8 am, running on the treadmill. But it really is up to you.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I imagine it's incredibly boring. I'd want a break too.

OP, if 150-225 minutes of bike riding a week is boring you enough that you need a week off, why not switch it up? Try videos, look on CL for a different piece of equipment, take up running or hiking.

And I would be eating at least 50% of my calories back.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Please read this:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/746654/diet-breaks-and-loosening-the-reigns/p1

I take a break every 2 months or so to eat at maintenance, never above. At the same time, I take a week off from the gym while still staying active every day by walking or leisurely bike riding. After that it's right back to a small deficit and the gym 4 days a week. I'm very close to maintenance.
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Or you could try classes? Dance, zumba, kickboxing. That would give you the cardio your getting from your biking but in a different capacity.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I imagine it's incredibly boring. I'd want a break too.

OP, if 150-225 minutes of bike riding a week is boring you enough that you need a week off, why not switch it up? Try videos, look on CL for a different piece of equipment, take up running or hiking.

And I would be eating at least 50% of my calories back.

True!

I love cycling, but have a bit of a tough time motivating myself to ride my bicycle on a trainer ... let alone a stationary bike.

@ajc1309 ... if you've got anything like decent weather, get a real bicycle and explore your neighourhood. Or jog, or walk, or go hiking in the woods, or rent a kayak, or swim ...

If you're stuck indoors at the gym ... take a spinning class, run/walk on the treadmill, use some of the other equipment ...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I take small breaks and eat at maintenance occasionally. whether its a weekend where I'm with friends and know I will be eating (or most likely, drinking) more than usual, or vacation, or a holiday or whatever.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I would never want to take a break from my exercise routine, it is too vital to my mental and physical well being. I would fall out of it and be hard pressed to return. But if you need to take a break, there is no rule against it.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Add in variety

I get bored and switch things up

I take 2 days off and I'm ready to do something

Can't relate to taking a week off.

You may be doing too much and your body is telling you so.
  • Machka9
    Options
    5 days a week for 30-45 mins is not a lot of exercise. Probably not too much.

But 5 days a week for 30-45 mins on a stationary bike would be too much. I'd be banging my head against a brick wall in boredom if I did that!!

I can manage 3 days a week on my trainer while doing commercial intervals and watching an interesting show (the TDF was great for that!), but I've got to do something else the rest of the days ... and preferably outside.