Calorie calculator

Options
Just used the website (builtdaily.com/calorie-counter) to calculate my daily and weight loss cals. And it says I should eat 2056 to lose weight where as mfp says to eat 1390 that's a massive difference? Any one know why?
Could this be why I keep gaining the odd pound am I not eating enough or have I missed something?
Thanks

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie goal does not include exercise - it is expected that exercise calories are eaten on top of the initial goal (1390 + exercise).

TDEE calculators include exercise so if you follow 2056 you would not need to eat exercise calories on top of this.

As there is quite a big difference between your MFP goal and your TDEE goal, it would appear that you are very active and/or do a lot of exercise - is this correct? If so, if you want to follow the MFP method then make sure your activity setting reflects this, and log exercise.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    can i just say that, that sounds like that might be your TDEE, calories you need to maintain your weight - did you click below to find your fat loss percentage and get the calories you need to lose weight? i just did mine and it came out as 1846 with light exercise 1-3 times a week
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Calculators make lots of assumptions about you and your metabolism. They can be a good place to start, but I would much rather you figure your own needs out by trial and error.

What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.