Trying get the bulk of my fats from nuts? Does this make sense, at least for vegetarians?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is evidence that nut fat is healthier than say, olive oil or avocado. I think it's best to get fat from a variety of sources. I have no evidence to back that up, it just seems logical to me.

Same here.
    I eat a variety of nuts, avocado, vegetable/seed oils plus some animal fats, but olive oil is my biggest source. I have to really try not to eat too much olive oil. I've eaten this way for decades and never had a single health problem, even when I was overweight. That's really the only evidence I need.

This too, although I'm sure part of that was just luck/genetics (for me, anyway).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't believe there is evidence that nut fat is healthier than say, olive oil or avocado. I think it's best to get fat from a variety of sources. I have no evidence to back that up, it just seems logical to me.

Same here.
    I eat a variety of nuts, avocado, vegetable/seed oils plus some animal fats, but olive oil is my biggest source. I have to really try not to eat too much olive oil. I've eaten this way for decades and never had a single health problem, even when I was overweight. That's really the only evidence I need.

This too, although I'm sure part of that was just luck/genetics (for me, anyway).

For me, luck, sure. But family history would not suggest genetics are on my side. Both my parents had high BP and cholesterol, one has diabetes, the other had CHF. Most of my siblings, including the only one of us to never be overweight, have high cholesterol and 2 have high BP.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My dad has high cholesterol and my mom's dad had heart disease, and there's various cancers, among other things, but no diabetes, and the health issues my dad has my mom doesn't and vice versa, so I may have just been lucky in the genes I got. (In some ways, relating to medical tests. Obviously, still early, knock on wood, all that.) ;-)