Marathon training... the heat or the treadmill???

Options
Is it going to hurt my training too much if I do a lot of my runs indoors on my treadmill due to the heat and humidity here? My marathon is in November, so I hope to back to running outdoors fully in the fall. I tried to run last night and the humidity was killer... not to mention all the bugs I swallowed and the dogs who were annoyed and chasing me. I was not a happy camper! My treadmill has the google map app on it where you can program it to run anywhere. It wll actually follow the incline or decline of the terrain so it is a pretty good workout. This will be my first marathon, and I am not very confident. My long runs have gotten harder to complete. I am not sure if it is because ofall the extra running I am doing during the week or the heat. This is throwing my confidence a curve ball! Any advice would be helpful. By the way, I don't seem to have trouble completing the long runs indoors.

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I just cannot stand to run inside. If it was a quick 3 miles, possibly, but not a 20 mile long run.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an amazing treadmill! I would agree with doing long runs outdoors though so you get used to actually running on the pavement or the terrain you will be running on for race day because treadmills have suspension systems in them...the ground doesn't.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    What was your base mileage before training? Can you train earlier in the am or later in the day?

I spent a lot of my training for my first half indoors, and I think if you can keep your mind busy and your not bored on the treadmill, go for it! Just be sure to run at least once a week outside so that you stay comfortable with pacing! It would be a shame if you spent all the time training and then try to run outside and can't pace your self! Good luck and have an awesome time in November!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I would do both becouse if you can run ok in the heat/humid then you would be able to run Great in the cooler weather.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is different to your body than running outside. When running outside, you actually use muscle to propel your body forward. Not so on a treadmill. I say run outside if you are able. Try morning or evening when it's cooler.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've never done a distance that long, so take this for what it's worth: When training for a 5K, I mostly did it on the treadmill until the weather cleared. I had run maybe 6 or 7 times outside (if that) prior to my race. My pace was about what it had been on my outdoor runs, and I was pleased with it. (32:09). If you can get outside before the weather gets un bearable, do it. If you could do a shorter run outside, do it. If not, so long as you get some long runs in a couple of months out leading up to the race, you'll probably be ok. Your treadmill also sounds way more awesome than mine (I'm the 4th owner!) as well. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill on occasion is ok...but if you're training on a treadmill routinely for an actual race, you're going to be in for a world of hurt. Treadmills help you out too much...running outdoors is completely and totally different. I say suck it up and run in the heat (personally I love it and it only makes me stronger when I run in cooler temps)...or run in the mornings when it's cool. I seldom set foot on a treadmill...has to be pretty nasty outside for me to do so.
  • JaimeLoves2run
    JaimeLoves2run Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I disagree that the treadmill helps you out too much. We purchased a brand new proform with the incline/decline google maps app and ifit this February. My hubby and I used it to do alot of training over the winter months for our first Half in May. Thank God for it, and I will tell you one thing, this treadmill is a beast. I could easily run 7-8 mph on my old treadmill, On this new one Its a workout hauling out a 9 min mile pace. But then when I get outside, it seems so much easier. We rocked our half marathons and have been doing multiple 5k's now. Last weekend I placed in my age group with a 7:44 Pace. Do whatever feels best to you, Your Tread sounds just like mine, and Now when I run outside, its easier, a breath of fresh air : ) In more than one aspect!!!
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill on occasion is ok...but if you're training on a treadmill routinely for an actual race, you're going to be in for a world of hurt. Treadmills help you out too much...running outdoors is completely and totally different. I say suck it up and run in the heat (personally I love it and it only makes me stronger when I run in cooler temps)...or run in the mornings when it's cool. I seldom set foot on a treadmill...has to be pretty nasty outside for me to do so.

This^ When you run on the treadmill it engages different muscles then running outside. I would run early in the mornings or late at night... save the treadmill for days when its ridiculous outside. I used to get up at 4AM to run.Its the only tolerable time in July in the midwest!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I would also add that running in all conditions (the heat and humidity or rain and wind if that is the case) might help you prepare for race day. You don't know what the weather will be on race day. It could rain, it could be cold, it could be 30C with 85% humidity :)

There could be bugs, or dust in the air. Who knows?

I think the treadmill is ok, but I also think training in all conditions (except maybe ice and snow in winter ) is good for preparing you to be comfortable running no matter what the conditions are on race day :)

my body HATES humidity, but when I was living in the Philippines for a year and doing triathlons, I had to learn to race in 40C with 90% humidity some days :) I hydrated well and it all worked out :)
  • UlaAshore
    UlaAshore Posts: 2
    Options
    Treadmills make you feel good about how far you can run, and most of them come with a fan. Treadmills enable you to run far longer than you would be able to on the street. These aren't bad things, but running outside is an almost totally different experience. My bliss comes from outdoor runs, so I tailor my long runs around the lowest temps I can manage (in south Texas, heat is a huge big deal.) Running on a track is the worst, especially an inside track. I don't know why, but track running is torturous for me. I'd gladly pick an air-conditioned treadmill or an appallingly early outdoor run over the track run any day, but I make myself run the track once a week whether I want to or not. I consider the three types of running together a kind of cross training. Cross running, if you will. So I run them all every week and throw in an hour or two on an elliptical trainer for good measure. Variety is good, but do your long summer runs outside before the sun comes up.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did almost 100% of my runs for my very first half marathon on the treadmill. HUGE mistake. Huge. Any slight little hill felt like a mountain to me. And I was so used to getting lost in watching tv/movies on the treadmill, that my mental game wasn't there on race day. The next year, I still did my weekday runs on the treadmill (too dark/cold for me at 5:30am when I run), but made sure I did all my long runs outside (unless there was a foot of snow). MUCH better results, PR'd by 15 mins over the last year. I did the same for spring half training this year...treadmill during the week (and some indoor track) and then all my long runs were outside (except one 14 miler on the treadmill when we had a blizzard and nothing was plowed...I saw it as improving my mental game, that's a long time on a treadmill!). But all my other long runs were outside...in 1 degree, in sleet, in 30mph winds, etc. I think you have to be mentally prepared for race day weather as you don't know what it could be. Having run in sleet and wind and rain, etc really does prepare me to not stress about race day weather and just know how to run in it (what to wear, etc).

I'm training right now for my first marathon in October (Chicago). The humidity in the midwest is so bad. But what I've read is that it takes about 2 weeks for your body to adjust to it and I think that's been holding true for me. It's only been bad the last few weeks and FINALLY, my 5 miler this morning in 95% humidity felt easier and my pace was closer to what I'd been able to run pre-humidity. But the temp was only 65 degrees when I ran, which is why I get up at 5:30am to run. Is that an option for you? When it starts getting even warmer in the mornings, I'll get up even earlier. I'd rather run at 4:30am in 65 degrees than 6am in 75 degrees! My long run last weekend was a disaster, it was 90% humidity and 75 degrees when I started at 8:15am. 11 miles in that and it was 85 degrees by the time I finished. It was brutal. I questioned why I run. I questioned why in the world I signed up for this marathon. But I felt AMAZING once I was done, because I did it. It boosted my confidence. That 11 miler would have been easy on my treadmill with my fan, cool basement, and laptop playing a movie. But I EARNED that 11 miler in that weather.

So my advice would be to get in as many outside as you can, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. If nothing else, do all your long runs outside. And, keep in mind that if the temp is above 65 degrees, you need to slow your pace. You need to slow down enough to keep your heart rate where it normally is on a non-hot/humid run. I've also read the guidance that for every degree above 65, slow your pace by 3 seconds a mile. So at 75 degrees, you'd be running 30 seconds per mile slower than your normal. If you slow your pace, it shouldn't feel as bad after a few weeks.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A lady in Alaska trained for the Olympic Trials Marathon on a treadmill so it can be done.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A lady in Alaska trained for the Olympic Trials Marathon on a treadmill so it can be done.

^^I performed almost all of my training on a treadmill. I think I got outside for anything over 10 miles like twice.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It won't hinder your training but it WILL be boring as all heck. When I trained for my first half marathon (like you I had to train in the heat) my long runs were done outside on Sundays (other runs were indoors) and I still tried to push through even though it was insufferably hot and humid. When I missed a long outdoor run I was forced to do it on the TM the next day.

10 miles on a TM is TORTURE!

If you can do the majority of your long runs outdoors then do it. Short, training runs can be done on a TM with no ill effect to your marathon.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy running in the heat and humidity either and my solution is to try to get out early in the morning before it gets too warm (but then again I'm a morning person - not everyone is).

While running on the road would be preferable if you're able to get your base on the treadmill and spend some time on the road in the fall I expect you'll be fine.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat to you. My first 26.2 is in Oct, but the bulk of my training will occur in a New England summer. 1000% humidity most of the time. That being said, I only use the treadmill in a pinch. Your body will adapt to the heat & humidity, but it takes a couple of weeks. I'd recommend heading out very early, like right before sunrise. Still humid, but the heat won't get you. Alternately, head out right at sunset perhaps?

Best of luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I personally despise the Dreadmill. Most people who know me, know that I'd rather run thru a blizzard than have to use one (and I have... frequently...:laugh: ) I guess you could say part of my treadmill problem is that after all that running you never get anywhere.

Treadmills just don't offer the same workout that running outside does. Yes, they are excellent cardio. Don't get me wrong, if I was confined to the same 4 walls every day, I would probably use one. But running on a spinning belt just misses something. Your stride doesn't feel the same and You don't push off in quite the same way. You also don't have to compensate for a variable pace. I would miss the wind in my limited supply of hair and the change of scenery.

If you must run on a treadmill, do seek some balance in keeping some of your runs outdoors. To avoid the heat, try running in the early morning or late evening.

Good luck with your training!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm just training for a 5k, but I had to make the same choice last week when it was around 100. In that case, I picked the treadmill. It is much easier, though (although that program with inclines and such sounds really cool!) so you might want to try to do at least one or two runs a week outside. I would try to do one of the weekend runs outside in the early morning before it gets insanely hot.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Boring !