How do YOU spend your calories?

Options
124»

Replies

• owensy12
    owensy12 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same things, but in smaller quantities. I also add more protein and fruit/veg into my diet.
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    27 pounds down here. I like to eat I eat when I am sad.mad, happy you name it I like to eat. So I decided to do a little of both. If I want something say chocolate I eat it but then I don't allow myself to go over my calories. I am rarely doing that anymore cause I would like to eat more lol. So I head for a carrot well because then latter I can also have some popcorn. I also think through my day and try to post my calories for the day in the morning. that way I can see where I can move or change things.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Glancing through the last month of my log, it looks like the most calorie dense items were:

Beer, wine, cheese, beef, peanut butter, dark chocolate, and a deep fried zucchini fries appetizer I had :) On the average day, it looks like these items take up about 15% of my total calories. Other high calorie items are olive oil, nuts, and butter. Baked beans and ceasar dressing poke their noses in, too. These foods make me happy and don't seem to cause binges.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I don't understand the clean eating vs moderation debate. Why so black and white? I do a combo of both....mostly nutrient-dense, high volume/low calorie food with room for a little bit of the delicious not-so-nutrient dense, low volume/high calorie food. OK, I guess that's technically moderation...but it's not like I'm eating *exactly* what I used to, just less of it. It's a LOT less of it, and a whole lot more of the nutrient-dense items.

I agree, I eat healthier options most of time, but I still eat the foods I love. This time around I didn't restrict myself from having anything, I just don't have it as often or as large a portion. I stopped ordering out for lunch ever day and started bringing my lunch, that right there was a big change. Saved me in calories and cash!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I spend my calories like I spend my money - on beer.

Same as many others I eat the same things, just less of them and move more.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    When I was heavy I ate a lot of foods I didn't need, or even really want. These were often eaten during commuting times: road burgers, snack cakes, milkshakes, etc., takeout breakfast with two meals, etc. I would eat any time the opportunity presented itself: candy bar during a trip to the grocery store, office doughnuts or catering leftovers, Cinnabon at the airport, and on and on. Of course I also ate a lot of food in regular circumstances: large helpings at meals, big portions of ice cream, strong beer.

I've pretty much given up the first class of foods: I don't sneak food in the car or pick up impulse items form the registers.

I sometimes eat the second class of food: if I want a doughnut or piece of leftover pizza and have room in my budget, I will sometimes eat it. More often than not I don't.

I mostly eat the same foods for meals and treats at home: Mrs Jruzer is a great cook and baker so we eat well. I actually wind up eating more at home because of my dietary choices: I usually have a big cheese omelette every night to bring my protein up.

Plus beer every day. I mean, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
  • jaeisla
    jaeisla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm doing ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. So I'm pretty much eating the same stuff as long as it fits my macros and with in a smaller window of time. So obviously less portions as before since I would eat from the moment I wake up til the time I go to sleep. I am making healthier choices and eating more veggies but I still have burgers and pizza.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I ate the same things I always did but just less of them, I would be too hungry and taking more medication. My weight loss journey began with a scary diagnosis, the disease is treated most successfully by weight loss and dietary restrictions.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I eat all the same foods I like, just less. I love chocolate and have some a few times a week.

The only thing I have cut out completely is fries, but that is unintentional really. I don't like fries enough to justify the calories and would rather eat something I like more. If I really wanted them I'd eat them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat all the same foods I like, just less. I love chocolate and have some a few times a week.

The only thing I have cut out completely is fries, but that is unintentional really. I don't like fries enough to justify the calories and would rather eat something I like more. If I really wanted them I'd eat them.

Same. If I want some I make my own using 1 tsp of olive oil and baking them... it's like half the calories and it's delicious!
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    i basically changed my diet over the few years. i replaced pastas with brown rice or farro. i no longer keep red meat in the house, tho i will still get the occasional burger every now and then.
    i eat more chicken and fish. there is always veggies.
    I started weighing my foods to make sure I'm not over eating, i keep my dinner around 400 calories
    my breakfast stays around 300, this allows for some exta snacks.

i don't drink soda, I don't eat fast food (wendy's mcdonalds burger king) unless its a healthier type. If i get a burger from my favorite bar, i cut it in half.
    these small changes helped a lot to how i'm eating now. there's no way i could have done this over night.

I do give in to my sweet tooth every now and then but i try not to. once i start its hard to stop
  • mommyvudu
    mommyvudu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much everything that's considered okay in a pescatarian diet...I don't eat pescatarian for health, necessarily....just a personal choice b/c I love mammals.

Other than that, I avoid refined sugars, overprocessed foods (ex: i'm okay with vegan "sausage" but not cool with a lean pocket or pizza roll), deep fried foods are a no, and no alcohol.

I'm dropping weight like crazy. Granted I'm working out and keeping a very strict log of my food intake...but I didn't make any progress at all until I cut back and then quit drinking booze.