Anyone else get "THAT LOOK"??

So I have gotten many, many, compliments recently on my weight loss, Down 62 lbs!! And that's great, BUT When I get asked "how did you lose weight?" And I tell them the apparently oh so disappointing truth, "By using MFP, counting calories and exercising"
Well they look like that's the most boring thing ever! Sometimes I think they'd like to hear I swallowed a sponge or maybe even a tapeworm!! LOL

I guess with the thousands of diets, gimmicks and weight loss trickery out there, no one wants to hear "calories in, calories out" I know I didn't, but hey, it REALLY WORKS!!!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I'd prefer that look to "oh you weigh and measure your food? how's your ED?"
    v7sujdor7q8o.gif
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Nope. I have been asked by several people how I lost weight but no one has ever given me an odd look when I say I stopped eating more than I burn. Some have said I'm lucky to be able to eat so many carbs and lose.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'd prefer that look to "oh you weigh and measure your food? how's your ED?"]

Well I never get that far, if i told them i'm obsessed with getting exactly 2 oz of turkey by tearing small pieces off or guess ahead of weighing and getting excited when I hit it exactly, then I'd really get a strange reaction!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    I don't offer that much information. I just say I eat a little less and exercise more. Most people don't really want to know the details any way. If someone actually pressed me for more, then sure, I'd tell them about MFP/deficits/CICO/etc, but so far no one has.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    I used to tell people 'the wine and cheesecake diet', then explain when their eyes went saucer-like that I did it by eating less, moving more, and not giving up anything that I enjoyed (hence the wine and cheesecake). They'd get all excited by the first part and look crestfallen by the second.
  • sashayoung72
    I used to tell people 'the wine and cheesecake diet', then explain when their eyes went saucer-like that I did it by eating less, moving more, and not giving up anything that I enjoyed (hence the wine and cheesecake). They'd get all excited by the first part and look crestfallen by the second.
    Exactly!! lol

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member

Nice real-life trolling!!! I'll have to try that myself.
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I don't offer that much information. I just say I eat a little less and exercise more. Most people don't really want to know the details any way. If someone actually pressed me for more, then sure, I'd tell them about MFP/deficits/CICO/etc, but so far no one has.

Ain't that the truth. Like, why the f*** did you ask me how, mfer!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    v7sujdor7q8o.gif

I used to get a lot of side-eye from my not-at-that-time boyfriend when I would, like, weigh out an ounce of cheese curds of 65 grams of ice cream. (Otherwise known as the saddest amount of ice cream.) Don't get me wrong -- he's supportive and we laugh together about how absurd it sometimes is ("I have to weigh the soup so I know how many grams is in an eighth of the pot!" as I scribble numbers on the white board and punch numbers into the calculator). But it used to make me super self-conscious when I was cooking dinner at his place.

Mostly, I used to get a lot of, "Well, I don't see the point in depriving myself," from a few family members before I hit a certain weight loss point. Now I've apparently lost enough weight that it's okay that I "deprive" myself?
  • tincanonastring
    gramarye wrote: »

I used to get a lot of side-eye from my not-at-that-time boyfriend when I would, like, weigh out an ounce of cheese curds of 65 grams of ice cream. (Otherwise known as the saddest amount of ice cream.) Don't get me wrong -- he's supportive and we laugh together about how absurd it sometimes is ("I have to weigh the soup so I know how many grams is in an eighth of the pot!" as I scribble numbers on the white board and punch numbers into the calculator). But it used to make me super self-conscious when I was cooking dinner at his place.

Mostly, I used to get a lot of, "Well, I don't see the point in depriving myself," from a few family members before I hit a certain weight loss point. Now I've apparently lost enough weight that it's okay that I "deprive" myself?

I get that look from my wife when I weigh an actual pot (empty) so that I can determine the total weight of a recipe.

And since when is eating 3 oreos instead of 17 considered deprivation?
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    My wife calls CICO the "Eat Like a Person, Not Like a Horse" plan. Portion control. Calorie control.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    v7sujdor7q8o.gif

Last night I weighed a pile of fresh from the garden green beans, ate them raw, and then weighed the snapped off ends to subtract them from the initial weight. My husband said "now that's dedication!" It was only 7g but I like to be as exact as I can.

When people ask me how I lose weight, I say "Oh the boring way. Eat less, move more." They usually just nod and say "yeah, I guess that's the way to do it."
  • tincanonastring
    edited August 2015
    jemhh wrote: »
    v7sujdor7q8o.gif

Last night I weighed a pile of fresh from the garden green beans, ate them raw, and then weighed the snapped off ends to subtract them from the initial weight. My husband said "now that's dedication!" It was only 7g but I like to be as exact as I can.

When people ask me how I lose weight, I say "Oh the boring way. Eat less, move more." They usually just nod and say "yeah, I guess that's the way to do it."

I typically force people to listen to a 30-45 explanation about my food intake, macro splits, exercise regimen, and overall diet philosophy. It's difficult, but I feel they're better off at the end of our torture session conversation.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Most of my friends were overweight smokers, just like me. They all wanted to know what the magic trick was to quit smoking and drop 60lbs in 6 months. They all looked so disappointed when I said I quit cold turkey, started working out & stopped eating garbage. Apparently "blood, sweat & tears" isn't the answer they wanted to hear.

3 years later, most of them are still overweight smokers. Nobody wants to work for what they want?! Their loss! I do! I'm worth it!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

I like you and your green bean system. (Though I would not enjoy that snack, lol.)

I get that look from my wife when I weigh an actual pot (empty) so that I can determine the total weight of a recipe.

And since when is eating 3 oreos instead of 17 considered deprivation?

Right? I mean, yes. I would like to live in a world where I get to eat MORE Oreos, but I'm still gonna feel pretty good about SOME Oreos.

(And YES on that pot weighing situation. At one point I knew how much all of my plates weigh, though I've since forgotten.)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    The look I get is more incredulous than anything. Like for a second they consider it, then they say something like "no, that's crazy and way too hard, I'm gonna keep wearing my waist trainer. I believe this works."*

*actual comment in a conversation I had a week or so ago
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Most of my friends were overweight smokers, just like me. They all wanted to know what the magic trick was to quit smoking and drop 60lbs in 6 months. They all looked so disappointed when I said I quit cold turkey, started working out & stopped eating garbage. Apparently "blood, sweat & tears" isn't the answer they wanted to hear.

3 years later, most of them are still overweight smokers. Nobody wants to work for what they want?! Their loss! I do! I'm worth it!

That is awesome! Good for you! You are a great example for people who struggle with "non-supportive" friends and family. Doesn't matter who else supports you. This is all up to each and every individual.
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    :smile: It's awesome to read that someone else also obsessively weighs things. I weigh my pots too!

I get annoyed sighs from my Mom when I complain that I overate a healthy food. "Give yourself a break! It's just fruit! It won't kill you."

And yes, I've answered questions that people really didn't want to hear the answer to.

My biggest annoyance is "You're doing so well with your diet!" Ergh... It's a lifestyle change. It wouldn't be bad if this person could come up with a new compliment. Every couple weeks, "You're doing so well with your diet!"
  • Hi guys, sorry to crash this post but I'm new(ish) to all this so here goes...
    I'm a recovered anorexic deciding to get in shape. Don't panic I'm not slipping into old ways but my problem is that I need this website to track my progress and keep on top of everything but the last time I used it properly was a year and a bit ago when I was ill. I am slightly worried and cautious not to get too involved just in case but at the moment all I want is to be fit and toned not unhealthy and stick thin. I'm 5'4 and 122lbs if that's relevant but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or feel free to redirect me to someone or some post that can help if necessary. I just want to tone and obviously since recovery I have a bit of VERY NORMAL fat on me belly and hips etc. My BMI is 20.9 and my problem is that I have a small frame but very wide waist and hips (26.5" and 33" respectively). I'd be grateful for any advice as I go on holiday in a week with some very fit and in shape friends so I want to avoid any horrible triggering bikini incidents etc, once again sorry for crashing. Thanks :)
  • sashayoung72

Yes this!!!! When you finally get "it" and they don't they still look for the MAGICAL fix.

• sashayoung72
    Hi guys, sorry to crash this post but I'm new(ish) to all this so here goes...
    I'm a recovered anorexic deciding to get in shape. Don't panic I'm not slipping into old ways but my problem is that I need this website to track my progress and keep on top of everything but the last time I used it properly was a year and a bit ago when I was ill. I am slightly worried and cautious not to get too involved just in case but at the moment all I want is to be fit and toned not unhealthy and stick thin. I'm 5'4 and 122lbs if that's relevant but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience or feel free to redirect me to someone or some post that can help if necessary. I just want to tone and obviously since recovery I have a bit of VERY NORMAL fat on me belly and hips etc. My BMI is 20.9 and my problem is that I have a small frame but very wide waist and hips (26.5" and 33" respectively). I'd be grateful for any advice as I go on holiday in a week with some very fit and in shape friends so I want to avoid any horrible triggering bikini incidents etc, once again sorry for crashing. Thanks :)

You can start your own post with this, Just go to the discussion page and hit create! and I think MFP will help you be sure you get ENOUGH calories since you are coming in from the other direction. Good Luck and great start!