Swimming laps

Anyone else swimming laps to get your cardio in and build some muscle? Think I can supplement my cardio days where I would normally run with swimming or would I risk overdoing it by not allowing my muscles to rest enough?

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    I'm a triathlete. In season (aka now), I usually swim 1-2 times a week, bike 2-3 times a week, and run 2-3 times a week, with one rest/core/stretch day...some days are "brick" workouts where I'll do both a bike/run or swim/bike or swim/run to get to 6 training days a week (if I have a race, taper weeks and recovery weeks might look a bit different, depending on the race).

Swimming is very good for cross-training to rest your legs from running (as is biking). Have at it, just be sure to get at least one rest day a week. :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    MFP has an amazingly supportive and active Swimmers! group.

I swim 1-2x/week to cross train for running. Since it's so upper body-dominated, it allows my legs to get the rest they need on my off days. As far as my heart (also a muscle) goes, the key for me is to keep the swim sessions shorter and less intense. I also monitor my morning heart rate to make sure I'm not slipping into overtraining.