arm and a leg?

Options
mbaker566
mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
So I've been on a weight loss journey since January and have been doing well loosing 20 lbs. But I've stalled out.
and I just got my food scale. all things are weighed though sometimes there is only "slice" options instead of oz/g options. and my calories are just where I thought they were thus far
but the weight scale doesn't want to budge. I am thinking that maybe I am overestimating my expended calories

I want to get a fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor and is waterproof. I am looking at the Fitbit Charge HR. Are there other options out there? Do they sync here? Do they all cost an arm and a leg?
(I have a Galaxy 5 but am considering changing to an LG when it's time, but looking to have an Android/not Apple. in regards to compatiblilty)

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What do you use to track your burn now? Do you use MFP? I usually underestimate what I burn in MFP (I run a 9 minute mile but I always record it as a 12 minute mile on MFP) then I only eat back half those calories. That has really helped me.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The common recommendation is to only eat back half of your exercise kcal. That eliminates the possibility of the exercise being overestimated.

I have never used a fitness tracker so know very little about them.
  • SaintsFanBob
    SaintsFanBob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the Samsung Gear Fit and LOVED IT! I now have an iPhone so went with the Charge, but honestly I miss my Gear Fit. I sold mine on eBay for $80 in mint condition so that could be an option.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I just use mfp and Samsung health
    I would like to be more accurate
  • mbaker566
    Options
    I had the Samsung Gear Fit and LOVED IT! I now have an iPhone so went with the Charge, but honestly I miss my Gear Fit. I sold mine on eBay for $80 in mint condition so that could be an option.

I thought it didn't have either waterproofedness or HR monitor

I was seriously looking at that
  • mbaker566
    Options
    The common recommendation is to only eat back half of your exercise kcal. That eliminates the possibility of the exercise being overestimated.

I have never used a fitness tracker so know very little about them.

I already do that
  • SaintsFanBob
    SaintsFanBob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It does have the HR monitor built in, but honestly not sure about waterproof. It is IP67 rated so it can handle shallow water for a little while, but I never wore it to swim.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    It does have the HR monitor built in, but honestly not sure about waterproof. It is IP67 rated so it can handle shallow water for a little while, but I never wore it to swim.
    i'll have to look at that one again
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I want to get a fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor and is waterproof. I am looking at the Fitbit Charge HR.

Fitbits are not waterproof: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-swim-or-shower-with-my-tracker

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The Polar A300 is water proof, and you can purchase a HRM strap for it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's very common to under estimate food and over estimate burns- so if you are verifying your intake- time to get super conservative on your burns.

OR try switching to TDEE- then you take away some of the guess work on burns.
  • mbaker566
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    It's very common to under estimate food and over estimate burns- so if you are verifying your intake- time to get super conservative on your burns.

i think that's what I will end up doing-going to the tdee

I just want hr to help track my actual calories burned
    and waterproof. because we swim every weekend now

seems like a hassle to have a separate hrm
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I want to get a fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor and is waterproof. I am looking at the Fitbit Charge HR.

Fitbits are not waterproof: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-swim-or-shower-with-my-tracker

I saw Fitbit Charge HR is water resistant to 1 ATM, or 10 meters so I assumed wrongly :(

why? why can't i find an all in 1? does it even exist?
    The Samsung seems like an option but it's only compatible with Samsung phones, not lg. le sigh

and it doesn't have the best reviews and capabilities
  • mbaker566
    Options
    poking around
    vivofit? thoughts?

I saw another thread for heart monitors already earlier today
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

i think that's what I will end up doing-going to the tdee

I just want hr to help track my actual calories burned
    and waterproof. because we swim every weekend now

seems like a hassle to have a separate hrm

I saw Fitbit Charge HR is water resistant to 1 ATM, or 10 meters so I assumed wrongly :(

why? why can't i find an all in 1? does it even exist?
    The Samsung seems like an option but it's only compatible with Samsung phones, not lg. le sigh

and it doesn't have the best reviews and capabilities

Separate heart rate monitor is not anymore a hassle than putting on a pull over shirt, in my opinion. And it is a lot more accurate than an all in one watch or band.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Fitbits are not waterproof and I have heard, and experienced first hand, people having problems with them just from sweating.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only waterproof bands are the Garmin Vivofit and Vivosmart, and some of the Polar bands.

The wrist based heart rate monitors are ok for just normal day to day activities but they are not at all accurate once you get your heart rate up while exercising. Your best bet is going to be a heart rate strap paired with your fitness band.

I have the Vivosmart and absolutely love it.

Just a few things to consider.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only waterproof bands are the Garmin Vivofit and Vivosmart, and some of the Polar bands.

In December, PC Magazine reviewed "10 Waterproof Activity Trackers You Can Swim With": http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469977,00.asp

Basis Peak
    Garmin Vivosmart & Vivofit
    Runtastic Orbit
    Misfit Flash & Shine
    TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch
    LifeTrak Move C300
    Jaybird Reign
    Wellograph

And they previewed the Mio Fuse.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

In December, PC Magazine reviewed "10 Waterproof Activity Trackers You Can Swim With": http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469977,00.asp

Basis Peak
    Garmin Vivosmart & Vivofit
    Runtastic Orbit
    Misfit Flash & Shine
    TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch
    LifeTrak Move C300
    Jaybird Reign
    Wellograph

And they previewed the Mio Fuse.

You can also swim (pool wise) with the Polar A300, Polar M400 (no HR monitoring in pool with M400) and PolarV800. There may be more models that PC Magazine left off the list.
  • mbaker566
    edited August 2015
    Options
    alrighty, I like the vivos the best. I like the always on and fluid goals

basis too big

misfit-meh

tomtom too big

lifetrak maybe too. i'll have to look at it's features more. edit: I like it a lot, but it's not compatible here. hmmm. and they are having connectivity issues with my phone. booo. too bad.

jaybird has consistently low reviews by places like pc

wellowgraph is sorta ugly

thanks all
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    lifetrak maybe too. i'll have to look at it's features more. edit: I like it a lot, but it's not compatible here. hmmm. and they are having connectivity issues with my phone. booo. too bad.

Definitely get one that's compatible with your device(s) and syncs with MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps?app_category=activity_trackers

Both of those (to me) would be deal breakers—even more so than being waterproof. If possible, buy it at a local store and keep the receipt, so you can return it if you don't like it.