What does 'Wellness Coach' even mean?

Options
I'm dead serious. Is this just another overused buzzword, or is 'Wellness Coach' an actual thing you can be?

From what I've seen so far this summer, all it takes to become a 'Coach' is to buy overpriced Tupperware and workout DvDs, ignore caloric and macro nutrient intake (because let's be honest, "eating clean" is the only thing that matters), and to make sure to spam pictures of your food as much as possible.

Claims like "I've lost 15lbs in the last two weeks, and gained an inch of muscle!" are infecting social media, and there seems to be a 21 day fix for pretty much everything, except for stupid.

Does anyone have a 21 day fix for these 21 day fixes?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I expect that it's purposefully nebulous on the advice of attorneys. Beachbody coaches are no more qualified to give health or nutrition advice than Tupperware ladies. They're just selling things that nobody needs to people who aren't really serious about their health.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Being a "wellness coach" because you bought into beachbody (or any other MLM product line) is akin to being a "beauty coach" because you bought into Avon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's Beachbody marketing. They supposedly help you get healthier, but obviously they get money when you buy their stuff, so I don't personally trust them.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Being a "wellness coach" because you bought into beachbody (or any other MLM product line) is akin to being a "beauty coach" because you bought into Avon.

+1
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We have a health coach at work but she doesn't recommend specific products. She helps with diet and lifestyle changes that support the doctor's recommendations but doesn't give medical advice. Health insurance providers also often have health coaches that support customers over the phone. So yes, it can be a legitimate profession, but Beachbody and others have made it a joke.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are legit wellness coaches but I certainly think that term is thrown around far too loosely.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    We have a health coach at work but she doesn't recommend specific products. She helps with diet and lifestyle changes that support the doctor's recommendations but doesn't give medical advice. Health insurance providers also often have health coaches that support customers over the phone. So yes, it can be a legitimate profession, but Beachbody and others have made it a joke.
    I think they avoided the word "health" for the same reason they avoided the word "medical." They know they cannot be on safe ground, legally, if they pretend that these people have any idea what they're talking about.

Someone should record one of these Beachbody people giving nutrition and health advice and file a lawsuit claiming to have followed the advice and been harmed...and refuse to settle. Go to court. That would be fun to see.

Sue Beachbody and the coach, personally.

The Beachbody people would be screaming at the top of their lungs that nobody should take them seriously because they have no idea what they're talking about. Experts would testify to it. Papers would be shown where the "coach" agreed not to do it. The coach would be screaming that it was beach body's fault and they told her to do it,

That would be fun to see. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I'm sure there are legit wellness coaches but I certainly think that term is thrown around far too loosely.

This
  • dtwells126
    dtwells126 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »

My place of employment also has a Wellness Coach, and they used as basically a mixture of a friend/gym trainer/motivator/nutritionist/therapist. We have free access to them at work and when I go we talk about my diet, weight loss progress and issues, what my goals are, tips for healthier lifestyles, how to incorporate new foods, ways to alter workout regimen, food nutrition, pretty much anything you want. Basically just someone to talk to about whats going on in your life, how to change what you dont like, and give an outsiders perspective.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Un-certified therapist, basically.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    The fix is to unfriend, block, report as spam, etc.