Cheat Days

Cheat Day? Cheat Meal? Good idea or terrible idea?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Do you want to do it? Will it derail your progress? Will it help you stay on plan?

Everyone has different answers to those questions. Some people find it easy to consume enough in one day to wipe out an entire week's deficit. In this case, you could find your weight loss stalling.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Cheat days or meals are not magical or special. If you create a deficit of 3000 calories Monday -Saturday, and on Sunday your cheat meal puts you at 1500 calorie surplus, you just undid half of your weeks progress. If your cheat day put you in a 500 calorie surplus, you undid 1 days work. It's all about how bad you "cheat" and how much of a deficit you had to begin with. If you can do one and continuing losing weight, that's fine, but if you stall, it's the first thing I'd drop.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Cheat days have pros and cons. I do cheat days but, I keep it within a certain amount of cals. I also most of the time bank cals through the week.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Make sure you log it.

Better yet, save 100-200 a day during the week, and use them on the weekend for a treat meal that fits in your calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Doesn't matter to me. I just aim to stay under my weekly calories. So I might have a 400 deficit every day and eat 1200 over one day, and still end up with a 1200 calorie deficit for the week (I'm pretty much at maintenance though so it's easier).
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    You're only cheating yourself.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I saw this and wondered how many topics have been titled "Cheat Days"
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Cheat Day? Cheat Meal? Good idea or terrible idea?
    I employ a weekly cheat day.
    I eat whatever and rest from all exercise. This I need.

Over 2 years, I lost 100 pounds, and for the last 3 years, I have maintained this result. It worked for me, and I can recall people here telling me I'd never reach my goals.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I say no. Build in your favorite foods - make them fit. If you have a "food event" coming up, bank some calories.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    How do you define a cheat day/meal? If you mean don't log it, and totally ignore the numbers...No, I don't do that. Do I sometimes overeat? You betcha. But I log it and create a bigger deficit on other days to make up for it.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    You can try to cheat, but you're body will know what you're doing.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter to me. I just aim to stay under my weekly calories. So I might have a 400 deficit every day and eat 1200 over one day, and still end up with a 1200 calorie deficit for the week (I'm pretty much at maintenance though so it's easier).

This is exactly how i've been doing it
  • jstyles49
    jstyles49 Posts: 21 Member
    I slightly over indulge on my cheat day, but never exceed 2500 calories which is my daily goal. I plan my cheat day ahead used based around a social gathering.. I find it very helpful and a relief sometimes from eating salad daily. However, for some, it takes you off course so i would say it depends on how you are. You know yourself, can you handle eating a bad meal, not complete day and get back on course?
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    I'm against cheat days for a purely emotional/psychological reason: if you feel the need to "cheat" then you don't really buy into what you're doing the other days.

I think it's better to come to terms with the need to eat well and live a healthy lifestyle, and shape your eating and other habits around that.

Once you're generally making healthy decisions naturally, you can have the occasional indulgence without feeling bad. Until that point, the very concept of "cheat days" might prevent you from buying into developing healthy habits, and probably adds to your experience of frustration.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    wonko221 wrote: »
    I'm against cheat days for a purely emotional/psychological reason: if you feel the need to "cheat" then you don't really buy into what you're doing the other days.

I think it's better to come to terms with the need to eat well and live a healthy lifestyle, and shape your eating and other habits around that.

Once you're generally making healthy decisions naturally, you can have the occasional indulgence without feeling bad. Until that point, the very concept of "cheat days" might prevent you from buying into developing healthy habits, and probably adds to your experience of frustration.

I agree. If it's the proverbial "lifestyle change" after all, what's the point of getting all psyched to cheat?

• ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    There's pros and cons to it and like others have said, only you can really decide if you can manage to achieve what you want to by doing it.

I've recently started doing 5-2 days of intermittent fasting and I have found it's reduced my need for a cheat day. With daily calorie counting I usually have enough for three healthy meals and snacks, but don't really have enough to fit in higher calorie things like chocolate or crisps. I end up feeling deprived and then binge. Doing 5-2 I eat at a maintenance level for the five days, which means I can have higher calorie meals and chocolate every day. The two low calorie days can be tough initially but are made easier knowing I can have a large satisfying meal for tea and have what I want within reason the next day.

It's not for everyone, but I've found it a huge mental help for me.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    rsclause wrote: »

Probably a few thousand.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    rsclause wrote: »

Probably a few thousand.

Give or take :p
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    stay disciplined then you will reach your goals cheat days/meals are pure bs

but then again if you want too slow your progress go for it .....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    It's not cheating if I incorporate the foods I love into my daily calorie limits.

A cheat day only cheats yourself.