Starting swimming

Options
Hi all - I am recovering from ankle surgery and so can't do the usual things like running, squats, biking, etc. I'm doing mat pilates and enjoying that but I'd like to add in something else. My PT has approved me to try swimming, but I've never done it before and honestly, I'm super nervous. How do I know what the proper pool etiquette is? How do I stay in my lane? What gear do I need? I don't even own a swimsuit.

Any advice from any swimmers out there, especially newbies who have overcome their fears of trying something new?

Replies

• msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You only need a swimsuit to swim. Goggles are nice to keep the water out of your eyes. Do you know how to swim? If not, you should take some classes at a local community pool. If you do, don't worry about being fast, most places have specific lanes marked for slow, med, fast.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Come join us in the Swimmers group! We have lots of active and supportive members, from former Division 1 athletes to adult beginners. :)

Equipment: a good competition swimsuit, a silicon swim cap, goggles. I like swimoutlet.com for cheap prices and good service. Speedo and Tyr are the go-to brands. Waterpro swimsuits are dirt cheap and cute but don't last as long.

Lap swim time should have lane lines marking off lanes. At some pools, they'll be labeled slow-med-fast; otherwise, just jump in. If you're sharing a lane with one other person, typically you'll "split" the lane and each take a side. 3+ people is "circle swim"--you always swim on the right side, creating a circle as you go back and forth.

YMCAs and many gym pools often have adult swim classes. Not just for people who can't even tread water, but for stroke technique. There are also some really excellent YouTube videos to help you out there.

Remember, it's a pool. EVERYONE is running around in shiny lycra with a condom on their heads. NOBODY looks cool. That's the point. That's why swimmers are the chillest and best athletes on the planet. :)
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    @dlgallian If pt is having you swim are you going to you gym or their facility. That would make a difference for lanes. Staying in a lane is easy there are normally lane lines that block off the others. I wear googles and a swim cap to keep my hair out of my way while swimming. But at my gym there are only three lanes so they can get full fast. I normally look for a person that is actually swimming not that weird breast stroke to bobbing jump thing and looking for some one that was doing just freestyle. I will ask the person if they are willing to split the lane with me when I see them resting in between sets. Most people will. The line at the bottom of the pool in a lane is how you make sure you stay on you side. Don't go over or cross over. Since you have ankle issues I don't think you will bee doing flip turns yourself but if you lane mate is just make sure you slow down a little if you are both heading to the wall sine most people use the center of the lane to turn. Hope this helps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Come join us in the Swimmers group! We have lots of active and supportive members, from former Division 1 athletes to adult beginners. :)

Equipment: a good competition swimsuit, a silicon swim cap, goggles. I like swimoutlet.com for cheap prices and good service. Speedo and Tyr are the go-to brands. Waterpro swimsuits are dirt cheap and cute but don't last as long.

Lap swim time should have lane lines marking off lanes. At some pools, they'll be labeled slow-med-fast; otherwise, just jump in. If you're sharing a lane with one other person, typically you'll "split" the lane and each take a side. 3+ people is "circle swim"--you always swim on the right side, creating a circle as you go back and forth.

YMCAs and many gym pools often have adult swim classes. Not just for people who can't even tread water, but for stroke technique. There are also some really excellent YouTube videos to help you out there.

Remember, it's a pool. EVERYONE is running around in shiny lycra with a condom on their heads. NOBODY looks cool. That's the point. That's why swimmers are the chillest and best athletes on the planet. :)

I always thought that you were supposed to do a "circle swim" even with 2. Some people my pool spilt the lanes though which I don't mind except when the pool is full and you can't get into a lane becaus people are splitting the lane. Most just ask the other when they get in the lane what their preference is.

Just to add to this, if you are sharing a lane with others and someone is faster, don't push off the wall of someone faster is right behind you. Pause for a second and follow behind them.

Also, don't block the wall. If someone is swimming in and you are resting, stand to the side to allow them the finish the lap and turn.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I always thought that you were supposed to do a "circle swim" even with 2. Some people my pool spilt the lanes though which I don't mind except when the pool is full and you can't get into a lane becaus people are splitting the lane. Most just ask the other when they get in the lane what their preference is.

Just to add to this, if you are sharing a lane with others and someone is faster, don't push off the wall of someone faster is right behind you. Pause for a second and follow behind them.

Also, don't block the wall. If someone is swimming in and you are resting, stand to the side to allow them the finish the lap and turn.

@3dogsrunning if you want the person you quoted to reply you need to @andtheirname do they get a notification. I totally agree not blocking the wall.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Yes, circle swimming is the default. But I have *never* shared a lane with just one other person who preferred to circle swim over splitting. I skipped the step where you ask the other person what they want to do; thanks for filling that in. :)

If you're splitting a lane and a third person comes over, it's circle swim time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes, circle swimming is the default. But I have *never* shared a lane with just one other person who preferred to circle swim over splitting. I skipped the step where you ask the other person what they want to do; thanks for filling that in. :)

If you're splitting a lane and a third person comes over, it's circle swim time.

Unfortunately not all the people at my pool get this. :(

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    dlgallian wrote: »
    Hi all - I am recovering from ankle surgery and so can't do the usual things like running, squats, biking, etc. I'm doing mat pilates and enjoying that but I'd like to add in something else. My PT has approved me to try swimming, but I've never done it before and honestly, I'm super nervous. How do I know what the proper pool etiquette is? How do I stay in my lane? What gear do I need? I don't even own a swimsuit.

Any advice from any swimmers out there, especially newbies who have overcome their fears of trying something new?

As the other posters have stated - join the swimmers group and ask questions. Meet some cool people and you'll pick everything up as you grow. You don't need anything at first - well maybe a swimsuit. Society and its rules and all...

I know you're coming off an ankle surgery, but get on that kickboard as soon as you can.

Lane orientation is just something you'll grow into - try and forget about it and concentrate on form. Get a trainer if possible in the beginning and build up good form and good habits.

Welcome aboard!
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would enthusiastically recommend this swim program called "Total Immersion." You can attend classes or get an instructional DVD in the mail. It's a way to swim with less struggle so you aren't fighting the water. Eventually you get where you can glide really comfortably and no gasping for air. I wish I had heard about it years ago - it improved my swimming SO much. It's great for newbies to make good habits in the water right from the start.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dlgallian wrote: »

When I broke my leg, swimming became an exercise staple. Just show up and swim, and you'll catch on.
    I used a raft to help me stay afloat, but whatever. I have found that swimmers are just nice folks, and others will respect your efforts. Just by showing up, you have separated yourself from the herd.
    I hear some always talking about what they can't do and offer one rationalization after another.

Bottom line: winners make a way...losers make excuses.

GOOD FOR YOU!
    :)