Obesity Poll

Options
A poll came out on Yahoo! Finance today:

How do you feel about the American Medical Association's decision to classify obesity as a disease?

The government and private sector should support the fight against obesity (8216) - 31%
Employers shouldn't be required to cover obesity treatments (5796) - 22%
Policy makers need to stay out of people's personal lives (12824) - 47%

I find it ironic that the highest percentage is a defensive response, and the lowest is the one that requires personal responsibility.

So, MFP world, what do you think? (I voted for the second one)

Replies

• al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One.

Jobs that make you sit on your asss for 9 hours a day should help pay for obesity treatment/help.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am going to go with the first option, but I do believe that the person should have to show that they are making an effort to lose weight the healthy way before any drastic treatments are covered. Obesity IS a disease, but often it's a self-imposed disease. Our culture has made it easy for people to become obese, and stay obese!

I also think it would be lovely if my health insurance covered a certain amount toward a gym membership.... but that's a pipe dream! :laugh:
  • ptbodacious
    ptbodacious Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If alcoholism is a disease, I suppose a case could be made for obesity being a disease. On the other hand, I think I agree with the 47%.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options

How do you feel about the American Medical Association's decision to classify obesity as a disease?

The government and private sector should support the fight against obesity (8216) - 31%

I find it ironic that the highest percentage is a defensive response, and the lowest is the one that requires personal responsibility.

I find it interesting that none of the options have anything to do with the AMA's decision, the data on which it was based, the rationale for making it now, etc...the closest one probably has to do with insurance policies (employers).

AMA doesn't make policy.
  • pinkgurl87
    pinkgurl87 Posts: 25
    Options
    wow that is really messed up, I bet if you did the same poll here in Canada more people would want better obesity care, we have a different mentality especially when it comes to health care.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    One.

Jobs that make you sit on your asss for 9 hours a day should help pay for obesity treatment/help.

If you have a job where you sit all day, most employers will allow you to have a standing desk if you'd like, which keeps you more active. If you can't have a standing desk, eat less food and don't eat over your TDEE, it's pretty simple, not the employer's responsibility, because if you make the argument that they should have to pay because you are obese, then by that logic, they should have a say in what foods you eat and how much...
  • info_nrs
    info_nrs Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed. I think that, although it is a private issue, if an employer or the government helps to support healthy lifestyles (rather than simply treating illness), we might get a little further in this fight (my employer has had positive results, by not actually punishing obesity, but rather rewarding healthy living: ie. free weight watchers membership, free employee fitness center, free smoking cessation, free nutritional conseling, etc.)
    It does need to be classified as a disease in so much that it requires specific treatments and sometimes medical personel to treat it---but NOT that it's something you couldn't avoid and just 'caught' by no fault of your own. Maybe if it's now called a 'disease' and doctors aren't afraid of offending someone by telling them that their obesity can honestly kill them, then just maybe people might start doing something about it.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I go with 2 also. Saying obesity is a disease is giving some people an excuse to say "not my fault, it is a disease". Most of us on this site KNOW how well all those expensive treatments really work. It will only increase the number of get thin quick schemes that do NOT work.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

How is "Policy makers need to stay out of people's personal lives" a defensive response? That's my general response to anything. I also agree with "Employers shouldn't be required to cover obesity treatments" These are in no way mutually incompatible.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I'm for all 3 to varying degrees....

In the sense that they promote health and wellness programs, and that employers provide incentives for employees. Lots of companies have their own gyms, or start groups that go walking on their lunch breaks, etc...
    Not in the sense that they tell me what to do.
    My company has a small gym upstairs.
    We also have a woman come in 1x/week to teach a yoga class. If you want to take yoga, you sign up and pay for the class. The company provides the space. But they aren't going to pay for your class. Besides, you are more inclined to go if you are paying for it. If it's free, then it's no big deal to you if you skip.

Agreed. In the sense that it's not THEIR fault someone gets obese. It's due to laziness, OR other emotional problems in that individual's life. They should seek help on their own in the form of therapy, if needed, and/or joining a gym. There are plenty of programs out there.
    Also, one should define "obesity treatments". What exactly falls under that category?

I don't believe they should pay for things that aren't necessary. For example, they shouldn't have to pay for your gym classes.

You know where the gym is. Get a membership.
    Can't afford memberships? Go buy a $5 workout dvd and follow along. I got my nifty little hand weights for $6. 2 sets of hand weights. Cheap. Also, jump ropes are not that expensive. You can get a good one for $7 on amazon.
    Can't afford that either? You know where youtube is. Go use one of the 354318461438 videos there.
    Don't have internet? GO OUTSIDE. There is grass, side walks, HS track fields, roads, etc. Go walk, jog, run, skip, whatever.

I do believe that GENERALLY speaking, people get obese on their own. Telling people that they can only buy certain things, or drink certain things, or that you are only allowed to buy sodas in 20 oz cups but no bigger than that, is not cool.
    I take personal responsibility for letting myself get fat. And it's my responsibility to get healthy.
    Taking away that personal responsibility TO ME is like telling me that I don't know how to do it myself. For me personally, it's a slap in the face. It is telling me that I am fat and I obviously don't know how to take care of myself.
    I need that personal responsibility and I need the policy makers to let me have it.

Those are just my thoughts on all that....... :flowerforyou:
    Granted, its what would work for me, but for others who have more issues with obesity than I do, they might feel differently.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I am with the 47% that think policy makers need to stay out of people's personal lives. I don't think it makes a bit of difference to classify it as a disease. I don't think employers should have to cover obesity treatments. I am torn on the government getting involved in the fight against obesity from what little I have learned it seems like the problem got worse when the government got involved. I also don't think making it so businesses can't sell more than a 16 ounce size of pop makes people drink less or want it less. It just forces them to buy 2 or be more creative. I think you have to be ready to make changes in your life before weight loss will happen. I think making obesity a disease takes away personal responsibility. Might make it so insurance will have to cover drugs that they didn't before. I see my insurance rates going up (again)/
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm for all 3.

I was just about to post basically the same thing. The three choices are not mutually exclusive.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

How is "Policy makers need to stay out of people's personal lives" a defensive response? That's my general response to anything. I also agree with "Employers shouldn't be required to cover obesity treatments" These are in no way mutually incompatible.
    Because it doesn't answer the poll question. The question is, "How do you feel about..." and the most commonly picked answer was, "Stay out of my life!"
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I choose number 3. Quit trying to legislate my live to death!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'd probably vote for choice one. Which is not to say I believe that people don't have personal responsibility -- if you have diabetes, you should follow your diet. If you have respiratory problems, you shouldn't smoke. You should definitely not raise your kids to have these behaviors. People who've quit these behaviors or don't have them should receive incentives if being healthy is shown to save money.

I also think that private employers and the government should support healthy lifestyles for EVERYONE, including thin people.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I hate the idea of treating alcohol abuse and food abuse as a disease in and of themselves...

Though, if this could potentially lead to helping with discriminatory hiring / firing of people with weight problems or potentially allowing for treating of underlying issues that might be contributing to obesity (outside of mouth stuffing problems)... then... maybe...
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a condition. It is not a disease. There is no microbe or pathogen that causes this.

That being said, and someone may have already posted this, one reason for declaring a condition to be a disease is that it changes how the insurance companies in the US handle payments. Stupid IMHO but whatever.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

Because it doesn't answer the poll question. The question is, "How do you feel about..." and the most commonly picked answer was, "Stay out of my life!"

I think that means it's a bad poll, not that people are being defensive.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I like to think that the response "Stay out of my life" would be addressed to the poll makers, not the AMA :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

There are many people who think they should be able to drive without seat belts and without child seats while carrying unlicensed concealed weapons, among many hundreds of possible examples of government regulation that could be given. Everyone could come up with a regulation that they think is silly.

Toughsky. If you don't like it move to the Republic of Onyourown.