Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Sodium question.please advise

Options
So,I'm on a low calorie diet and I do cardio.now,I just want to know how much sodium is OK to have.I just now seen that some days I eat like 2200 mg of it: -( will this make me retain water?is it OK?Lol help please

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I suppose your doctor can tell you that.

I am on non added sodium and have it as low as 1500mg a day. But like i said it is not something you just do.
    Only when you have medical issues...and still your doctor should advice you how much or how low you go.
    You need sodium and other benefits sodium brings It is not without danger to just cut out sodium.

I retain water when i even eat above the 1000mg of sodium but like i said i have some issues with sodium. Other people wont. That is very personal
  • fogurina
    fogurina Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow,you must be very sensitive to it then.I've had days where I ate a ton and still lost weight the next day.then I have days where I eat maybe 800 mg and lose nada.Lol damn sodium
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Lots of good, reliable info on sodium here: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/

You may get a lot of posts that say that you shouldn't worry about your sodium levels until you've been diagnosed with cardiovascular disease, but that's not true. That's not what experts advise.

Only you and your doctor can come up with the right number for you, but the link above provides sound, general info. :)

If you keep your sodium down,you will probably see fewer weight fluctuations, but you'll still have them. That doesn't go away, especially for women! :)
  • fogurina
    Options
    Thanks:-) I'll check it out.women always have it harder it seems.lol
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    fogurina wrote: »
    Wow,you must be very sensitive to it then.I've had days where I ate a ton and still lost weight the next day.then I have days where I eat maybe 800 mg and lose nada.Lol damn sodium

yes very
    kidneys and high BP
    But got it under control

But to give you an example
    Last week i had a party Monday...and ate and drank about 4000 calorie worth of Margarita's ( without salt btw) and snacking. Np was calculated for but the salt content not rofl
    Next morning 6.6 pound heavier..

lol almost have it off again. But yes that is how sensitive i am for salt...has nothing to do with my weight loss btw.

• fogurina
    Options
    DAng!!that's nuts.Lol I would freak,haha.but Ya,it goes away,so that's good
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Water retention from sodium is relative to your AVERAGE intake. Making these numbers up but if you average 2500 and eat 3000 one day you probably won't notice a thing. I average 1500 and if I eat 3000 I will be up 2-3 pounds for a few days.
  • fogurina
    Options
    OK.might not be a problem for me then,I hope.Lol.all I know is I have three days in a row sometimes where o don't lose or gain anything,I am exactly the same,then after three days I'm down two pounds.guess I'll never know if it's the diet or sodium or whatnot.
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Water retention from sodium is relative to your AVERAGE intake. Making these numbers up but if you average 2500 and eat 3000 one day you probably won't notice a thing. I average 1500 and if I eat 3000 I will be up 2-3 pounds for a few days.