Confused... what's happening here?

gymrat04mf
gymrat04mf Posts: 51 Member
My Vivosmart (a device similar to Fitbit) says that my BMR today was 1512 calories, and that I also burned 644 active calories, meaning I burned a total of 2156 cals. So this is my TDEE for today, yes? So since I want to gain weight, I want to eat at around 2300 calories today and since this trend and my exercise is regular, I can assume that's a good daily goal.

However, MFP says that my goal is 2040 cals which makes sense I guess because I want to gain weight and they do not account for your exercise in that number. I ate 2379 cals today and according to MFP, burned 526 with exercise. Now they want me to eat those 526 cals, so total they want me to eat 2566 calories. That seems like a lot, since I know my TDEE (with exercise) is around 2100 each day.

Firstly, why are my active calories different when I have my fitness band connect to MFP?

Secondly, what's going on? According to my research and common sense, I should really be eating about 2300 every day (BMR + active cals). So why is the number on MFP different?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Click on the adjustment in your exercise diary to see the math MFP used to calculate it, but it's the difference between your Vivosmart burn (which is TDEE) and your MFP activity level.

Every time you sync your tracker, it sends your burn to MFP. MFP projects what your burn will be at 11:59 p.m., compares that to your MFP activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.), then adjusts your calories accordingly.

At the end of the day, your adjusted calorie goal should be equal to your Vivosmart burn plus your surplus. If you've set your goal to gain .5 lb. per week, that's 250 calories: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I would also add that this is just a simple calculator...it provides a rough estimate...that's it...it's not gospel or anything. any of these calculators and devices simply provide a good starting point but people tend to take them very literally. once you have actual data and trends to work with, you don't even need this kind of stuff...'cuz you have actual, reliable data.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Yes, that is exactly how your device works :smile: trust the device, I find them to be accurate :smile: