Tired of everything

Options
I am 18, i am 5'4 amd weigh 42 kg, I a0have been skinny all my life and now my self esteem is slowly fading ..i need to gain at least 8 kgs , even tho i set my goal for gaining 10 kgs but that's nearly impossible .
Now i want to gain weight as soon as possible , want some exercises to shape up , as for the diet i have searched for it and i m starting from today , will try to intake as much calories as i can!

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Any type of exercise will build your muscle tone. Try to find something with a social element to it such as dancing. But yoga might suit you too if you are not comfortable socially. In a yoga group you don't have to talk to anyone. I like Iyengar yoga the best. Find a good yoga teacher and you'll never want to leave. Or tai chi.

Its easier to do exercise in a group than on your own.

Food wise, eat a wide variety of whole foods. Plenty of vegetables, fruit, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, dairy, as well as things like pasta, wholegrain bread, rice and meat if you want. Eat good quality foods.

I don't think its a great idea to go eating tons of icecream and junk to put on weight fast. Just have a salad and put some good quality mayonnaise on it and some nuts and seeds in it. Put butter on your vegies. Make cheese sauce for your vegies. You see what i'm getting at. Enrich your food but keep it healthy and you will gain weight. Have dessert at the end by all means but get your nutritious foods in first.

Good luck.

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
  • shinza2015
    shinza2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well i guess dancing is better lol
    And yepp i will start making smoothies too , as for junk food i agree n0but i need to gain weight as fast as i can , and gin some fat
  • shinza2015
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Thanks gonna check iit out now
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Any type of exercise will build your muscle tone. Try to find something with a social element to it such as dancing. But yoga might suit you too if you are not comfortable socially. In a yoga group you don't have to talk to anyone. I like Iyengar yoga the best. Find a good yoga teacher and you'll never want to leave. Or tai chi.

Food wise, eat a wide variety of whole foods. Plenty of vegetables, fruit, dried fruit, nuts and seeds, dairy, as well as things like pasta, wholegrain bread, rice and meat if you want. Eat good quality foods.

I don't think its a great idea to go eating tons of icecream and junk to put on weight fast. Just have a salad and put some good quality mayonnaise on it and some nuts and seeds in it. Put butter on your vegies. Make cheese sauce for your vegies. You see what i'm getting at. Enrich your food but keep it healthy and you will gain weight. Have dessert at the end by all means but get your nutritious foods in first.

Good luck.

In order to add mass (muscle not strength), you need a program that is based off of progressive overload where your muscle tissue is broken down and subsequently built up again. While yoga and dance can be fun, I don't think you will see much mass increases unless they allow for some hypertrophy.

OP, I would read this to start

Then I would look into getting a solid workout. A lot of women tend to like lifting programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves.

Expectations - regardless if you are a man or women, fat gain is inevitable. At best, we can hope the fat to muscle ratio is in favor of us, but typically with a women, it's about 75:25 (fat/muscle) gains. So for every 1 lb of weight, about a quarter will be muscle. Grant it, if you are a noob to lifting, you might see increased muscle gains.

Calories - most women lean towards a clean bulk (about 250 calories over TDEE) to try and help minimize fat gains. But if your doctor wants you to gain weight more quickly due to being underweight, then going with a dirty bulk (500 calories over TDEE) will be fine. After you bulk for several months, you can do a cut and then do another cycle if you want to see more improvement.

Macros - typically, you want about .8g -1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (for you, 70-80g will be more than enough); fat around .35-.6g per lb of lbm and the rest carbs. In all reality, while bulking carbs are king. And it doesn't matter where the carbs come from.

Many of us eat ice cream but also have a diet rich in nutrients throughout the day. The bigger and most important thing is getting enough calories. So if you struggle to get calories, especially carbs, eat ice cream if you enjoy it.
  • shinza2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Good luck.

In order to add mass (muscle not strength), you need a program that is based off of progressive overload where your muscle tissue is broken down and subsequently built up again. While yoga and dance can be fun, I don't think you will see much mass increases unless they allow for some hypertrophy.

Then I would look into getting a solid workout. A lot of women tend to like lifting programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves.

Expectations - regardless if you are a man or women, fat gain is inevitable. At best, we can hope the fat to muscle ratio is in favor of us, but typically with a women, it's about 75:25 (fat/muscle) gains. So for every 1 lb of weight, about a quarter will be muscle. Grant it, if you are a noob to lifting, you might see increased muscle gains.

Calories - most women lean towards a clean bulk (about 250 calories over TDEE) to try and help minimize fat gains. But if your doctor wants you to gain weight more quickly due to being underweight, then going with a dirty bulk (500 calories over TDEE) will be fine. After you bulk for several months, you can do a cut and then do another cycle if you want to see more improvement.

Macros - typically, you want about .8g -1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (for you, 70-80g will be more than enough); fat around .35-.6g per lb of lbm and the rest carbs. In all reality, while bulking carbs are king. And it doesn't matter where the carbs come from.

Many of us eat ice cream but also have a diet rich in nutrients throughout the day. The bigger and most important thing is getting enough calories. So if you struggle to get calories, especially carbs, eat ice cream if you enjoy it.

Sprry but i am a TOTAL NOOB , i don't know a thing about all this , but i was wondering that the article you linked me was about building muscles , where i want to gain some fat , i mean , will i gain fat before jumping onto the muscles part? I am totally confused !!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    shinza2015 wrote: »

Good luck.

Sprry but i am a TOTAL NOOB , i don't know a thing about all this , but i was wondering that the article you linked me was about building muscles , where i want to gain some fat , i mean , will i gain fat before jumping onto the muscles part? I am totally confused !!!

1. Eat more calories - how you do it is up to you
    2. Find an exercise (s) you like doing and do them
    3. Be consistent
    4. Be patient
    5. Crack on...

• shinza2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Good luck.

3. Be consistent
    4. Be patient
    5. Crack on...

Can you list some exercises so that i can do them?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will automatically gain fat. But with doing a progressive load compound lifting program, you will also gain muscle. Generally, the ratio is 75% fat and 25% muscle.
  • msf74
    Options

Good luck.

3. Be consistent
    4. Be patient
    5. Crack on...

Can you list some exercises so that i can do them?

Try something like this:

Bodyweight Workout

At this point in time I think your biggest concern is eating more and generally leading a healthy, active lifestyle so if you want to do something like yoga or pilates then it's all good.
  • shinza2015
    Options
    You will automatically gain fat. But with doing a progressive load compound lifting program, you will also gain muscle. Generally, the ratio is 75% fat and 25% muscle.

Thanks a lott!!!! I will start exercising from now , along with eating a lot of rich in calorie foods
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    One thing at the time, and all things in order. At 42 kg (93 pounds) I think perhaps that your priority for the next few weeks should be gaining weight and establishing a balanced and highly nutritious diet. That also will give you a little time to consider what kind of exercise would support your personal goals (whatever they are, aside from gaining weight). You don't have to exercise to gain weight. You might want to walk, run or dance for cardiovascular health, or do yoga for strength and flexibility, or get into weight lifting to build more muscle. But it will be alot easier to do all of those things once you are at a healthy weight and your body is running efficiently.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    psulemon, your post is irrelevant here and actually incorrect.

This girl needs to gain both muscle and fat. Any type of exercise will build muscle if you are eating well. I know this from personal experience. It may not make you look like a body builder but is that what the OP wants? You will also add fat if you eat more than you currently need to stay alive.

Low fat ratio in women is actually unhealthy. Long term low body fat leads to diseases such as osteoporosis, as well as infertility. So i think recommending "cutting" is not appropriate here.

Sheermoment… i think it isn't a mistake for her to start with some exercise now. She doesn't need to do it hardcore but getting fit is not a bad thing and by being active she will build more muscle more quickly, so long as she eats protein.

Shinza has your dietician told you how many calories you need to eat a day? Or don't they want you counting calories? Since you are here, i guess you are counting calories though, regardless of what they want you to do. What number have you been aiming for, if they haven't given you one.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

can you explain the irrelevance and incorrectness please?
  • shinza2015
    Options

This girl needs to gain both muscle and fat. Any type of exercise will build muscle if you are eating well. I know this from personal experience. It may not make you look like a body builder but is that what the OP wants? You will also add fat if you eat more than you currently need to stay alive.

Low fat ratio in women is actually unhealthy. Long term low body fat leads to diseases such as osteoporosis, as well as infertility. So i think recommending "cutting" is not appropriate here.

Sheermoment… i think it isn't a mistake for her to start with some exercise now. She doesn't need to do it hardcore but getting fit is not a bad thing and by being active she will build more muscle more quickly, so long as she eats protein.

Shinza has your dietician told you how many calories you need to eat a day? Or don't they want you counting calories? Since you are here, i guess you are counting calories though, regardless of what they want you to do. What number have you been aiming for, if they haven't given you one.

2050+ calories in a day , i used to eat less than 1500 , but i started eating more and hit the goal yesterday !!
    And you scared me there with that infertility thing :( but i will improve ,fore sure.
    Plus i am going to do the exercises @msf74 linked me !! Will that be okay ? I MEAN i need fat in my hip n chest area , dont wanna look like a muscular ant hahahahha
  • shinza2015
    Options
    One thing at the time, and all things in order. At 42 kg (93 pounds) I think perhaps that your priority for the next few weeks should be gaining weight and establishing a balanced and highly nutritious diet. That also will give you a little time to consider what kind of exercise would support your personal goals (whatever they are, aside from gaining weight). You don't have to exercise to gain weight. You might want to walk, run or dance for cardiovascular health, or do yoga for strength and flexibility, or get into weight lifting to build more muscle. But it will be alot easier to do all of those things once you are at a healthy weight and your body is running efficiently.
    i was thinking the same , like shouldn't i gain weight and do exercises when my weight is a lil bit normal, but i have read exercising makes you gain weight fast and deposits fat that you are eating in good places

• msf74
    Options

2050+ calories in a day , i used to eat less than 1500 , but i started eating more and hit the goal yesterday !!
    And you scared me there with that infertility thing :( but i will improve ,fore sure.
    Plus i am going to do the exercises @msf74 linked me !! Will that be okay ? I MEAN i need fat in my hip n chest area , dont wanna look like a muscular ant hahahahha

Your principal goal right now is to eat more and do so on a consistent basis.

The body weight exercises I linked should be fine for you as it mixes a little cardio with resistance training. It won't be as efficient as doing say a focused weight lifting routine along with separate cardio sessions but exercise efficiency is a secondary goal. Just do what you feel comfortable doing and as you get into it and then you can consider other things.
  • shinza2015
    Options

The body weight exercises I linked should be fine for you as it mixes a little cardio with resistance training. It won't be as efficient as doing say a focused weight lifting routine along with separate cardio sessions but exercise efficiency is a secondary goal. Just do what you feel comfortable doing and as you get into it and then you can consider other things.
    Thanks a bunchhhh !!!
  • msf74
    Options

Thanks a bunchhhh !!!

No worries.

I remember being 18 and clueless myself. Man, that sucked.

It got better though.

A lot better ;)

Good luck!
  • shinza2015
    Options

Thanks a bunchhhh !!!

No worries.

I remember being 18 and clueless myself. Man, that sucked.

It got better though.

A lot better ;)

Good luck!

Hahaha it really does suck :D